The idea of 'fighting back to your long guns" with pistol.

This is a discussion on The idea of 'fighting back to your long guns" with pistol. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just thinking a bit about quotes and hypotheticals I've read. Often I've heard something like: a handgun is only good enough to help my situation ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The idea of 'fighting back to your long guns" with pistol.

Just thinking a bit about quotes and hypotheticals I've read. Often I've heard something like: a handgun is only good enough to help my situation and get me to my long guns.

I'm not trying to debate whether long guns are more or less damaging than a handgun, but I'm wondering what these people's rational or thought process is regarding long guns.

Like: obviously long guns a more geared toward long range but if you are 'fighting back to them' this usually means they are in your house thus prob not making longrange shots. If you are making long range shots in this scenario you are shooting people who might lack the physical proximity to be seen as a true and capable threat. Using a long gun in a house can (not from experience but just guessing here) be incredibly difficult with their size, sound, etc. Wouldn't it be completely dissasociating to discharge a long gun in a small area without ear protection. Handguns are obviously loud in this way as well but not nearly as loud. Additionally you'd have a much greater chance of a misfire or even direct hit to continue on and penetrate another wall...leave the house etc.

So all those out there who plan on fighting back to the long guns are you typically talking about shotguns, or do you really think a (insert AR15 or other .223 round) would be a good choice in the home threat situation?

I think that "fighting back to your long gun" could put people in a conundrum. Another doctrine is to immediately seek concealment/cover. What happens if there is not c/c between where the conflict starts and where the long guns are?

No answers, just more to ponder.

Administrator
    Its a phrase coined in a military setting and it really applies there but not so much in the civilian world. I guess it sounded tough and hardcore, so it was adopted by the suburban commandos.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Ideally, a long gun is better(more accurate) than a pistol. In most situations you may never have the time / chance to get to a long gun. Given the option pistol vs. rifle, I would chose the rifle for most applications.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My safe with the shotgun and ARs are between the bedroom and the rest of the house. If I can use the pistol to make it to the shotgun then yes I'll use the pistol to get to the shotgun/AR whichever is the 1st piece I can lay my hands on IF I have to leave the bedroom for whatever reason.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Assistant Administrator
    IMO it is all down to range of confrontation and environment. For most part we are usually thinking close up and personal - the ideal handgun fighting scenario (shottie too if nearby). Plus it may well be over in seconds.

If however a homesteader was under some sorta attack - with BG's beyond at a distance for example - then he sure would want to get to a long arm or two - and be able to reach out.

I guess it sounded tough and hardcore, so it was adopted by the suburban commandos.
    From our POV I agree with sixto.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would rather have a pistol than nothing at all. I think that is what that statement implies.

Fight only last 3-5 sec. unless your standing next to it there won't be time. That phrase is for LEO and military the way I see it if you didn't start with a long gun you won't finish with one.

VIP Member
    A long gun (specifically an AR, since that's what the OP mentioned) is, in nearly all ways, superior to a handgun for "gunfighting." More powerful, more accurate, more ammo, more range, more "intimidating," and so on. Yes, the addage has little application to most civilian CCWers, but - if you had the opportunity to get an AR in the middle of a gunfight, would you pass it up and continue on with your J-frame/Kel-Tek/Sig/Glock/Whatever?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    if you had the opportunity to get an AR in the middle of a gunfight, would you pass it up and continue on with your J-frame/Kel-Tek/Sig/Glock/Whatever?
    Nope. The AR would be lookin mighty fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I guess for me it would be whatever i would pick up first as there is a a AR and Shotgun in the bedroom..

I prefer a shot gun for close encounters though would i try to get to it? sure why not 9 rounds of 12 gauge is nothing to fool with especially if it is 00 or 000 buck shot

But a rifle will work to why not have more firepower.. also a rifle and handgun are more powerful than a handgun i want all the help i can get

In general (at least the folks I deal with), it refers to Katrina-esque movement around one's property/neighborhood with a readily concealed, easily carried, weapon-the pistol-with the knowledge that you might need to get something "more" with some speed, with someone(s) after you.

....or, if you happen to turn the corner and find an LA riot-style party going on. Keep your head down & mouth shut, but work to get to your vehicle where (some of us) keep a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    In general (at least the folks I deal with), it refers to Katrina-esque movement around one's property/neighborhood with a readily concealed, easily carried, weapon-the pistol-with the knowledge that you might need to get something "more" with some speed, with someone(s) after you.

....or, if you happen to turn the corner and find an LA riot-style party going on. Keep your head down & mouth shut, but work to get to your vehicle where (some of us) keep a long gun.
    Rob72 , I would add, get to vehicle and if I can retreat as fast as I can......
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I believe the phrase is merely meant to convey the reality that a handgun is not the one shot marvel many people believe it to be.

There was no intent to advise anyone in a lethal force situation that they should try to get to their long gun but to just be aware that a handgun is extremely underpowered when compared to a long gun.

Tactically, when the SHTF, the 22lr pistol in your pocket is much more powerful than the 30.06 rifle you left back home.

Just don't expect the pistol to end the confrontation with one shot.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I personally have always taken that statement to mean that you should not feel excessively confident just in the fact that you are armed with a handgun. If you KNOW there will be a fight, you want to be as well armed as physically possible. Not to downplay handguns at all, but given the choice against a BG with an unknown arsenal, I would prefer as much defensive capability as possible. However the best approach would be to if you KNOW there is going to be a fight, to not be there.
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links