Purse Snatching in Progress

This is a discussion on Purse Snatching in Progress within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is an incident that occured at a WalMart where my family and I shop. What could be done differently if a CCW was there? ...

Thread: Purse Snatching in Progress

Here is an incident that occured at a WalMart where my family and I shop. What could be done differently if a CCW was there? Maybe there was one there?

NORTH LITTLE ROCK North Little Rock police have arrested a suspect in a purse-snatching turned fatal shooting Sunday afternoon in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

About 3 a.m. Monday, officers arrested 17-year-old Joshua Leallen Loften of North Little Rock and charged him as an adult with capital murder.

Police say Loften was attempting to rob a woman at the Wal-Mart Super Center at 4450 E. McCain Blvd. when he turned and fired several shots toward bystanders as he fled. One shot struck Dean Worden, 40, of Jacksonville and killed him.

The investigation indicates that no one was pursuing the thief as he ran, police say

It was the 10th homicide of the year in the city, according to police.

Sunday evening, police said they located a silver Chrysler 300 believed to be the getaway vehicle. Kuykendall said store security cameras trained on the parking lot aided in the investigation. Officials would not say where the car was found.

Police said the man acted alone while trying to snatch the purse, but that they believe someone else was driving the car that took him away from the scene. Kuykendall said that as far as he knew, purse snatching has not been a problem in the area.

Me: According to witnesses on TV, the victim was just close to where the snatching took place, he was not pursueing or said anything to the BG.

If I can get an angle from the FRONT on him...he'd be challenged to stop. From the story it didn't sound like he was looking where he was going. When he heard DROP THE WEAPON NOW he'd have that second of "***" time and I'd already have the safety off centered on him. He is an active shooter so I'm in danger just being there. I'm walking into the store, so he's coming right at me. If he moved in any way toward me in a menacing way (like with a gun in his hand)...I'd shoot to stop the threat to me and mine

That's becoming a larger problem. The BGs are moving past the shoot if needed to the shoot each and every time phase. We had a report here last week of a rolling shootout between two cars.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Assistant Administrator
    If among witnesses and receiving incoming it'd be well justified IMO to return fire asap ... as long as clear field of fire and preferably finding cover. I'd hope that a con yellow would give me a small edge as soon as an event began, and be able to find that cover or at least drop down.

These things happen very fast indeed - who knows how well one of us might handle it. Just a week ago had a shooting in Johnstown (only 30 miles away) - a perp shot at one supposed target but then ran off firing back at the group of people as he made a getaway.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    If I can get an angle from the FRONT on him...he'd be challenged to stop. From the story it didn't sound like he was looking where he was going. When he heard DROP THE WEAPON NOW he'd have that second of "***" time and I'd already have the safety off centered on him. He is an active shooter so I'm in danger just being there. I'm walking into the store, so he's coming right at me. If he moved in any way toward me in a menacing way (like with a gun in his hand)...I'd shoot to stop the threat to me and mine

That's becoming a larger problem. The BGs are moving past the shoot if needed to the shoot each and every time phase. We had a report here last week of a rolling shootout between two cars.
    If I was in the situation where the shooter was running towards me and had just shot at random people in a crowd behind him after the crime. I would more than likely Shoot Him Without Warning! As a civilian ccw holder, you are not a LEO and you are not mandated to challenge an offender first!

A man who just committed a crime and shooting into the crowd... If he's looking back at the crowd and not looking where he's running... Too bad for him. That just leads to MY advantage. Offering him a challenge gives him the opportunity to immediately turn and fire on me affording him an opportunity to get lucky with his shot! I ain't giving him that chance!

I must point out, I would do that if I just happened to be in his path as he was fleeing the scene of the crime and already having shot at people.

If however I was just in the general vicinity of the parking lot or in the direction of his fire, I would instead, Immediately go for COVER! Then draw my gun in preparation of defending myself.

Always Cover 1st, unless caught in the open, and then, you are not mandated or obligated to offer a Challenge to the Offender! With gun in hand and actively shooting at people, he is bought and paid for!

JMHO... YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    As the story was told, nothing. By the time any reaction was possible he was running and not a threat to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by nn
    As the story was told, nothing. By the time any reaction was possible he was running and not a threat to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    ...Police say Loften was attempting to rob a woman at the Wal-Mart Super Center at 4450 E. McCain Blvd. when he turned and fired several shots toward bystanders as he fled. One shot struck Dean Worden, 40, of Jacksonville and killed him.

The investigation indicates that no one was pursuing the thief as he ran, police say

How is that not a threat to "everyone" in the immediate vicinity? He was firing several shots AS HE FLED.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

More like: murder with little needed to spark the murderer's actions.

This is a good example of how the mere orientation of a perpetrator's body is meaningless, when taken out of context by itself. If only bleeding hearts could realize that even the evil can "pose" for a shot.

Copy and store this story, folks. If ever you're faced with having to justify an entrance wound you placed in anything other than the 10-ring of a BG's front side, this should be a good example of how easy it is for a "fleeing" suspect to turn uber-violent, and how the basic "pose" a person takes is utterly meaningless to the risk that person brings to those around him. A murderer is a murderer, facing in any direction.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well Stated...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If I was in the situation where the shooter was running towards me and had just shot at random people in a crowd behind him after the crime. I would more than likely Shoot Him Without Warning! As a civilian ccw holder, you are not a LEO and you are not mandated to challenge an offender first!

A man who just committed a crime and shooting into the crowd... If he's looking back at the crowd and not looking where he's running... Too bad for him. That just leads to MY advantage. Offering him a challenge gives him the opportunity to immediately turn and fire on me affording him an opportunity to get lucky with his shot! I ain't giving him that chance!

I must point out, I would do that if I just happened to be in his path as he was fleeing the scene of the crime and already having shot at people.

If however I was just in the general vicinity of the parking lot or in the direction of his fire, I would instead, Immediately go for COVER! Then draw my gun in preparation of defending myself.

Always Cover 1st, unless caught in the open, and then, you are not mandated or obligated to offer a Challenge to the Offender! With gun in hand and actively shooting at people, he is bought and paid for!

JMHO... YMMV.
    and I agree...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Am I the only one thats thinking cover?
    Shots are being fired and you want to chase or get in front of him?
    I make my decision base on, am I willing to die and leave my family to stop someone getting away in short no.
    He has already gotten off a fatal shot while running and probably not aiming, and everyone knows you don't have to be championship marksman to get of a lucky shot.
    A parking lot is no place to having a gun fight, I'd rather he get away and get caught later than risk hitting some kid in a car seat in the back of a minivan with a well intentioned miss. (your moving, he's moving low % on hits)
    Leo are for shouting orders and chasing crazy people I'll let them do it.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I will do everything in my power to get out of there. As a civilian CCW holder, I am not responsible for other peoples lives and/or property, period. Everyone else is responsible for their own safety, if they choose not to accept that, it is their choice to make, not mine. I don't mean to be selfish, but that's how I am. I carry to protect myself, and the ones I care about.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Agreed Spyder.

If I'm in the store alone then I'd move to immediate hard cover or if not available concealment, and then assess what the hell just happened and is on going as a secondary reaction.
    If my family is there then I do same toward them.
    The only way I'd engage is if either he comes toward/after me or mine or he's in the direct path of where mine are as I with vigor make an effort to secure their own immediate safety.

I'm not a cop nor Superman, just an average dad with 17 rounds of JHP hole punchers at hand.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links