Who has had to draw their piece? - Page 2

Who has had to draw their piece?

This is a discussion on Who has had to draw their piece? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 Wow i didn't know S&W made a .12 gauge pistol grip gun. It's a Model 3000, probably 30 years old. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Wow i didn't know S&W made a .12 gauge pistol grip gun.
    It's a Model 3000, probably 30 years old. I think the pistol grip is pretty rare without a folding stock like this one.

never had to pull the CC, only an HD weapon. that one is detailed in the success stories forum.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Sept. 9, 2006
    I was moving bymyself this trip from TX to AZ with my truck loaded with some of my belongings. I stopped at a rest stop in NM just after dark to strech & swap fluids. I noticed three hispanic men (I assume illegals) sitting on a bench eyeballing my truck as I was parking. I knew they didn't look right & to be honest probably wouldn't have gotten out of the truck if I wasn't carrying. I went to a stall with a door & listened while I did what i came in there to do. When I stepped out, there was a side walk against the building & you had to go around the corner, I walked out wide into the gravel so I would have some room to see where the guys were. They were waiting right on the corner & all three started toward me as soon as I appeared, I put my left hand out & reached for my P11 that I carry on a belt clip MOB. They recognized the motion & scadadled before I actually presented the gun. I didn't need any caffiene for the rest of the drive to AZ
    I did good being aware of my situation, but I put my self in harms way unneccesarily.

Well, txinvestigator over at Texas CHLForum had to draw his recently. It was really disturbing:

Here's the thread.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

twice...on the same day

... I have since moved to a 'lower-risk' neighborhood.

Just a little background... we had lived in this house for over two years. It is in a decent neighborhood but was next to an undesirable one and we had many a suspicious character walk though (sometimes through my yard). I had discovered evidence of attempted break-ins, like pried windows and marks on the doors and door frames, before.

Just over a month ago, I came home from work at my normal time, between 5 and 6 pm. I drove past my wife's best friend's house and saw that my wife was leaving there and followed me home. As I reached the front door, she was was getting out of the car and helping the kids out. I reached to unlock the door; only to find it unlocked and pushed a few inches open. I stepped to the side of the door and looked back and asked the wife, "Is there anyone here?" Of course, she said no and asked why. I told her to get back into the car; wait there until I came back out; and that if I didn't come back in two minutes (or if she hears any gunfire) to back out of the driveway and call 911. I pulled my handgun and cleared the house: not a single thing was out of place or at all looked strange... save for the door, of course. Needless to say, the wife and I had a serious talk about safety, security, and remembering to lock the doors and windows.

Some might think that sounds paranoid and I might have agreed until later that evening.

After a couple of hours, my wife suggested that we go and rent a few movies. Since this was Friday and I would have the weekend to watch them, we did. It must have been 9-10 pm when we returned home. I know it was dark. When we pulled into the drive and I turned off the ignition, I saw (directly in front of me) a male walking out from behind the house. As soon as he walked into the light (there was a street-light mounted to the side of the house, so it was very bright) he picked up speed quickly and jogged out of my yard and across the street. Of course this flagged immediately as a possible bad situation. I quickly gave my cell phone to the wife, told her to lock the door when I got out. I drew my handgun before exiting the truck. I grabbed the Streamlight from my pocket as I got out. I walked around the back of the house and finding no one there but again seeing that the bathroom window had been forced open. It was only open a couple of inches; implying that we had surprised the would-be burglar. I continued around the house to ensure the rest of the house was secure. When I got to the other front/side corner I spotted another male walking toward my yard from in front of my neighbor's yard. He was walking very close to the house so I was immediately suspicious of his intentions. When he reached my yard, he actually angled and walked directly toward me. Since, I had not direct reason to be threatened by him, I was holding my pistol down behind my leg. I know he never saw it. He reached about 15 feet from me at a fairly fast rate and began to say something. Just then the first male yelled to him from across the street. Immediately, he looked, saw who had called him, and broke into a full-out run in his direction.

I called 911 and took the family into the house. When the officers (two of them) they took descriptions of both guys and run off in the direction I pointed out. They both came back empty-handed, so to speak, but they tell me that this was the 3rd call on these guys that night. I was surprise at his next statement. "...but we always seem to be a step behind them." I knew this already, but it was just unexpected coming from him. A couple of weeks later, I moved.

Things I learned: and YES this will sound cliche!
    1) ALWAYS be armed. (Again I knew this, but it is a little different now.)
    2) That money I spent on the flashlight was well spent.
    3) You really CAN draw from a "SmartCarry" while seated, even in a vehicle, and during the adrenaline rush.
    4) IF you have trained, you will return to that when needed.
    5) I will not hesitate. (to me this is very important to know in case of a more serious situation in the future)
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

I'm 50 years old and I've had a CCW permit in various states since I was 21 at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. I've had to draw several times in a variety of situations. I don't really care to discuss specifics. I've had to draw when I was a student at BAMA. I've had to draw while I was overseas. I've never had occasion to fire and I firmly believe that my "bearing" convinced my opponent(s) that not only was I fully prepared to take them out, but that I knew exactly what I was doing. Ordinary folks really don't want to take on the "trained" individual. It's kind of like myself, were I confronted by a Navy SEAL or some other really high speed, low drag type "Operator" I'd just give up. There is no way I have the skills to equal that and I know it in advance. A man has got to know his limitations....I think the wolves have that spidey sense that gives them pause when they confront the Sheepdog and they just sort of know to avoid the confrontation in most instances.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Spyderdude, thanks for sharing.....I have sewing-machine leg in bad situations, too. My fear is having to draw, and through pure excitment,fear,alarm,adrenelin, etc....just squeeze off a round without really meaning to.....anyone have any suggestions on this?

thanks, piper

Wink MY solution is....

Quote Originally Posted by cannon View Post
    Spyderdude, thanks for sharing.....I have sewing-machine leg in bad situations, too. My fear is having to draw, and through pure excitment,fear,alarm,adrenelin, etc....just squeeze off a round without really meaning to.....anyone have any suggestions on this?

thanks, piper
    That is EXACTLY why I no longer carry my 1911s! I won't carry any handgun utilizing a single action trigger. Even when I carry my H&K USP which could be carried cocked and locked, I carry it hammer down on a live round and trip the first shot double action. That is just ME. I am in no way bashing the 1911 as a carry gun! If I was facing the zombie hordes and all I had was a 1911 and 1000 rds of ammo (pre-loaded into mags) I'd feel very secure, indeed! But for street carry, I'll stick to my Sigs: P245 or P226; OR my S&W M642 38+P DAO. My USP mounts a light on the rail and as such is my dedicated home defense gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have two well, close calls anyways.
    In college, I'm sleeping in my apt with the window open and screen in. I am awakened by the sound of somebody ripping my screen out. As I'm reaching for my 1911 I hear one voice say nah nobody woke up. Fortunately (that's right, I said fortunately) I didn't have a round chambered, when I chambered one they heard it and took off.

Second, my fiance and I were living together while she was finishing school. We went out of town one weekend and returned to find graffiti on her car that was left under the attached carport. Well I start trying to get it off when my landlord's father shows up and tells me these punk kids did it and our neighbors too but they got caught in the act. He said they didn't see it on her car and I should call the deputy and add it to the report. So I do while I'm still working on the paint (simple green works wonders). Anyway while I'm on the phone and scrubbing, I turn to see a VERY large black man walking out of the woods coming straight at us. The landlord's dad gets in his truck and leaves!! I very calmly rise and walk around the car and tell F to go grab my 1911. She goes inside and I walk back around the car and he stops just on the other side of the 2 foot brick wall. F comes out the door behind the car and opens the passenger door and lays the gun on the drivers seat. I ask if I can help him and he starts into this tirade full of obscenities. Remember now, I'm on the phone with the deputy still. He asks me what is going on, and I tell him some man just came up and is making no since. He describes the man perfectly to me! Turns out that is the kid's father, the deputy tells me he is sending units to my address, and to be very careful, that man has a very long record of drugs and violent crimes. I ease around and open the driver's door as I tell him I understand, just then the old man drives back up and stands at the front of his truck. The guy starts cussing again and makes a move to come over the brick wall, I grab the 1911, and spin in his direction (dropping the phone) when I get in position I realize the guy is frozen halfway over the wall, but not looking at me, he is giving his full attention to the old man pointing a 357 magnum at him. He eased back over the wall and turned and walked back into the woods from which he came.
    I picked up the phone and told the deputy what happened, (oh, by the way, the units he sent never came probably because I told him the guy left).
    That truly was an eerie feeling, but we never had problems from the man again.

FMC

I have had a close call before. I pulled out onto the access road of a highway in my area and some kids going way over the speed limit started tailgating me and swerving at me. I could sense trouble because they rolled their windows down. I already had my pistol in hand and kept it low. Once the lane opened up they pulled up next to me and displayed what appeared to be a small handgun. I slammed the breaks and got a license plate number. I learned something from that situation. If they had decided to engage me I would have had to shoot through my own window because it was up. This interestingly enough never occurred to me until after the car passed. If a similar situation was to happen again I would try and roll my window down as soon as I felt threatened. The adrenaline was enough to make me queasy about five minutes later. Although not a true face to face draw down, it was enough to reinforce my need to carry.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I forgot about another one I had.
    My wife and I were heading up to Virginia in late May and stopped for Taco Bell drive through. Well as we are sitting between the order spot and the window, I notice a large man wearing a black trench coat leaning against the building behind some bushes. He was about 20 feet away of so, I quickly looked around and realized that the design of the drive through had us completely blocked in by a curb and bushes. I eased my hand down and unholstered my 1911 and laid it in my lap. My wife realized what I was doing and started getting jumpy. About that time the guy starts walking right to my window with both hands in the pockets of the trench coat. I let him get to ~10 feet away and eased the gun up to where it was still inside the truck but now aimed at him. He froze and threw open his coat to reveal watches on both sides. He screamed "I'm just selling watches!!" Then turned and walked of at a very brisk pace in the other direction.

FMC

Had to draw once, out in public.

A two-person attack on me began in a dimly-lit parking lot, from a couple aisles away. I had just entered the lot and was walking toward the front door of the store. The two broke up, with the accomplice peeling around to my rear. The leader kept directly at me. They were both coming right at me, so there was no mistaking their manifest intent. I kept rough tabs on the guy behind, as I watched the leader. As the lead guy stepped into out from between the cars of the aisle to my right (about ~8-9yds away), I ducked in between the two cars to my left, drew on him and suggested he and his partner had a quick decision to make. They immediately broke off the attack and disappeared into the shadows.

Had I not been armed, I most certainly would have been attacked by two, likely armed, people bent on robbing me or worse.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Well, txinvestigator over at Texas CHLForum had to draw his recently. It was really disturbing:

Here's the thread.
    That's funny. Reminds me of an old Bugs Bunny Cartoon.
    For God, Family and Country!

This happened over 15 years ago. I was returning home from my mother's home late at night. I stopped at a light when a car full of young thugs pulled next to me. They were calling and yelling, but I gave no response...that they could see. I got my automatic from my holster and put it in my lap.
    They started to get out of their car. I held up my weapon...not pointed at them and chambered one....so they could see.
    I was ready...they weren't. They jumped into their car, ran the red light and made like geese and got the flock out of there.
    I was prepared to hit the gas and run myself if they didn't, but they did.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links