Who has had to draw their piece?

This is a discussion on Who has had to draw their piece? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had one like Spirits: I had two carloads of punks I guess trying to pull off a LE style rolling roadblock (one in front ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has had to draw their piece?

I had one like Spirits: I had two carloads of punks I guess trying to pull off a LE style rolling roadblock (one in front slowing down, one in back tailgating)
    What they didn't take into account is I, on occasion enjoy a spirited romp down a dark interstate...with nitrous. Hit the bottle, got around the one, and put some distance between us. I had my G30 with me (condition3) They caught me in traffic..two lane road, backed up: only side street was a dead end. The leader actually locked up his brakes into oncoming traffic and tried to get around me again.
    the passenger in the car that was I guess was the lead car hopped out, Hispanic, no shirt...tatted up. He saw me rack the slide on the G30 and take off my racing harness (told you...I like to drive fast sometimes :-) ) and ran off screaming NO NO NO...he's strapped!!
    Both cars pulled a U into oncoming traffic and boogied.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

The only time I had to "draw" was when I thought there was a drive-by in front of my apartment.

I don't know if you would consider this "drawing" but I was sitting at my computer in my apt and someone started jiggling my door handle really hard (the door was locked) but it sounded like they were trying to get in.

I had my 642 out of the holster already sitting on the desk next to me. I picked it up and stood facing the door. The jiggling stopped and I waited about 20 seconds then slowly walked to the door to look out the peep hole. Apparently it was someone putting pamphlets on the door handles. It was weird though because I wasn't nervous or anything I felt strangely calm.

My only experience happened:

When I was on my way to an IPSC match back in 1998; I had to work late that evening, so when I got on hwy 37 south down to Corpus Christi, it was around 10:30pm. When I was 30 miles north of Corpus, my truck started sputtering and missing and the check engine light came on. I nursed the truck over to a deserted rest stop to pop the hood and take a look. While I had the hood up, I found nothing, but heard a rattle in the exhaust system. I then got out my tire iron and got under the truck to check the Catylitic converter or the muffler for a blockage. I beat on them both to clear them, and as I did so, a car pulled up with their lights off.

Immediately I went to full alert status, and began rolling over to stand up while keeping my peripheral vision to my rear. Three guys exited the vehicle, and I got that terrible sinking feeling as I saw a chain in one hand, a shark billy in another and a large survival knife in the lead guys. I had my fanny pack on, with the 1911 you see pictured on my avatar inside. As the lead guy approached, he said in a thickly accented voice to leave my wallet and my keys on the seat and just walk away.

I responded by pulling my 1911 and pointing it right up under his chin and telling him that if he thought I was just walking away, he had another thing coming, laced with colorful expletives. At that point, the guys turned around and headed back for their vehicle, quickly. On the way out, they clipped the rear bumper of my truck, and sped off down the road. I tried in vain to get the license number but was unable. In the excitement, I had dropped my keys, so I put away my weapon, and got a light out to look for them. just after I found them, a DPS trooper came roaring up, rolled down his window and asked me if some guys just tried to rob me.

I said yes, and he ordered me to get in. As I got in, I began stammering something to the effect that I had my license to carry, and was armed. He said he didn't care about that, he just wanted to know if I could identify the BG's. Apparently, a Sheriffs deputy had caught the guys on a frontage road nearby. The individuals had been going up and down Hwy 37 robbing people who were at rest stops or stranded on the highway. I ID'd the guys, and they were taken off to jail.

Needless to say, I did not shoot well the following morning, but it was exhausting explaining what happened to everyone there. One of the deputies who was on the scene was shooting in the match and told everyone what happened. About 6 months later, I testified against them at their trial where I found out that 2 of the men were illegal aliens. They were sent away to prison after that.

Hope everybody enjoys......

DOES A BLUFF COUNT?

SAVED BY BUMPER STICKERS?

It was 1997 and my family was returning from spending Christmas with my wife’s dad in north Florida. As usual we returned via the scenic route one takes through the center of Florida, that being US 27. Slower, but many places to eat and stop for gas. Scenic. Back then I was driving a Ford Explorer 4x4 and it had the obligatory NRA LIFE MEMBER stickers, my NRA Instructor sticker, an IDPA sticker and a bumper sticker that read: FEAR the Government that FEARS your GUNS in big bold letters.

We were outside Lake Placid, Florida when the girls (my daughter, then 16 and my wife) announced they had to “GO.” It was around midnight when I pulled into the Gas station/convenience store and they hurried inside.

I pumped some gas as the dog snored softly. It occured to me that the pup (our 145 lbs Newfoundland--Nana) was sleeping atop my “gun rug” stored .45 Government model. My Sam Andrews custom shoulder rig was in my wife’s sewing bag. I didn’t figure to “need” it until we hit maybe Martin or Broward County way south from this sleepy little town. There was only the geriatric clerk in the store and my girls. Then, the van pulled into the station.

It was an old battered van and had designs on it right out of the 1960’s “FREE LOVE” era. But the occupants weren’t going to be spreading free love. The dread locks and gold teeth were in full force as one leaned out of the van and gave me a hard going over. They STOPPED right behind the truck and carefully stared. I realized they were reading MY “bumper art!” Moving on before I could say anything, they stopped on the far side of the station and headed for the store. No gas to pump, but pulled up at the pumps. I suddenly just KNEW they were going to “hit” the place.

That little old lady and MY family were inside alone and the damn DOG was on top of my .45. No time to fish it out! The two goblins held a hurried conference right in front of my position about twenty feet away in front of the doors. One held his right hand up. The forefinger was extended, fingers curled underneath and thub straight up. The symbolism was unmistakable. They weren’t sure if I was armed. No time to do so now without maybe triggering the gunfight and my family in the line of fire. Still no girls.

I went inside and made small talk with the clerk waiting for the girls and all the time two scenarios were running in my mind: One with me armed and ready and one with me unarmed and I wasn’t liking the final scenes. A kid came in for a soda, sized up the situation instantly and left without buying anything. I hoped he was going to call the cops. The Goblins were just STARING at me. Not shopping, just “browsing” near the magazines. FINALLY the wife and daughter came out. My wife sees me with my “game face” on (this is the face of concentration I wear when I hear another IDPA Range Officer say to me: “SHOOTER READY? STANDBY!” The two hurry to the truck. I ain’t gonna budge. I do and that grandmother dies, I just know it. I’m wearing a jacket on this crisp night and that makes their decision, they leave and just snarl at me.

I dash to the truck where my wife has my 45 out, cocked, locked and ready to ROCK! I shrug my way into my shoulder rig, with the spare mags offside, and I’m breathing hard. Cold sweat rolling down my back. The goblins are gone. So I’m ready to go find a cop and my wife asks “What if they’re just around the corner waiting to pounce on that old lady when we leave?” So SHE has me playing “DICK FREAKING TRACY” poking around a strip mall next door in my truck!

Common sense kicks in and I just verify that they don’t seem to be lurking nearby and so I find a phone and call the cops. We’re both high school teachers and neither of us had a cell phone then. Cops are not interested. No crime, no foul. Said they’d swing a car by the store later. We left town.

LESSON #1: IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE ANYTIME. A GUN ON THE HIP IS BETTER THAN ONE UNDER THE DOG.

LESSON #2 Bumper stickers CAN serve a valuable purpose. Yes, they might have tried to take me out first, but goblins are usually cowards. My time as a State Parole Officer (GREAT prep for teaching in an inner city high school!) taught me that. They tend to err on the side of not getting killed.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Twice....

Once while living in Anchorage, Alaska. I was coming home around 4-5 in the morning from a bouncing job at a large bar in the area. I always took various routes home to prevent someone from following me. As I am pulling into my garage (very narrow and close on all sides) I see a car pull into the street behind me, almost instantly a man is in my garage. Grabbing my 220st going SA, i pop my door open confronting him at about 6 feet aimed at his chest. I tell him I will kill you if you take another step. He spun around and ran toward his car and left. I closed the garage door and called it a night.

While living in North Las Vegas in a not so great area. My girl friend wakes me up at around 1am she hears someone banging at the front door. I wake right up, now "Bubba" my 80 pound pitbull is pissed. I grab the 220st go SA, and open my bedroom door and Bubba sprints for the front door growling/barking. As I approach the front door it OPENS. Bubba lunges forward and grabs this dude by the thigh. While this guy is trying to get my dog off I level the gun at his head. (Note he has not entered the house) "Do you want to die tonight" I say, he looks up and I realize this guy is my neighbor from accross the street. He is WASTED drunk. I get Bubba off of him. And ask he knows how close he came from getting killed? He thought it was his own house. After I explaned to him the danger he was just in. He apologized and went home with some nasty bites.

Both situations I was scared but in control. And was ready to go if I had to.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 15th, 2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Edit Language Workaround

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    As I approach the front door it OPENS.
    I just gotta ask: you left your door unlocked?????

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    I just gotta ask: you left your door unlocked?????
    Good call I forgot to mention that. At the time I had a roommate that was a complete moron. He would often forget to lock the door. We had spoke to him about that several time. Thanks for bringing that up. I totally forgot to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Good call I forgot to mention that. At the time I had a roommate that was a complete moron. He would often forget to lock the door. We had spoke to him about that several time. Thanks for bringing that up. I totally forgot to mention that.
    OK... that's better :) Well not necessarily better but more understadable. I personally used to leave the backyard door unlocked, but for the past year or two I keep locking it as odd folks can show up even in the best of a neighbourhood (not that I live in the best neighbourhood but you know what I mean).

Put my hand on the grip and started the draw, and the threat ran the other direction before I completed the draw and had an aim.

I'm thankful I didn't have to pull the trigger, but I'm more thankful that I had my firearm on me at the moment. I was shaking for the rest of the walk home from the adrenaline. I had none of that when the event actually took place.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

had to draw?

I'm going answer that yes, I've had to draw twice over the 26 years I've carried when not on duty. The first time was actually police related, someone was after me to get revenge after a drug arrest. I wasn't an officer at the time, but had assisted the local PD in a drug bust that really pissed off a couple local scumbags. The guy decided to walk away, and he was arrested a few minutes after i called the station. The second time I almost had to take out a good friend who is a Viet Nam vet, and had fallen off the wagon for the first time in years. He was flashing back, and was going to kill my parents. Luckily I pistol whipped him from behind and knocked him out rather than having to kill him, and I felt so bad doing it, but greatful I didn't have to kill my friend. He was so embarresssed he left the state the next day, and I've never heard from him again.
    I've had other occassions I could have drawn on people, and haven't. It always depends on the situation, but using your head first is always best.

VIP Member
    Years ago, when I was "on the job" my partner and I responded to a burglary in progress call. On arrival, my partner took the front of the house and I circled around back. As I rounded the rear of a single story house I immediately saw a gang banger who just jumped out of a back bedroom window. I immediately drew my weapon. As he faced me, both hands were in his jacket pockets, and started walking toward me. I shouted “let me see your hands”… “take your hands out of your pockets… do it NOW”! He kept walking directly toward me and said “what you gonna do, you gonna shoot me? Well shoot me you punk!”

I had pressure on the trigger and his life was hanging on his own actions. Thank God he just stopped, took his empty hands out of his pockets and proceeded to place them behind his head! After he was "hooked up" and in the back of our car, I realized the adrenalin was folwing like a freight train through my veins.

That’s as close as I ever came, and closer than I ever want to be again, but to this day I still remember that incident with extreme clarity and a great deal of relief.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 17th, 2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Edit Language Workaround
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have only had to draw once...on a Rottweiler that was threatening my wife and I while we too a leisurely walk on a clay road near our (then) home...

He came out of his unfenced yard and kept dodging in and pulling back. He was growling quite ferociously. My wife is quite the animal person and normally is good at reading animals intentions...in this case she felt he was intent on attacking us.

I moved between her and the dog...and we were trying to walk backwards away from him but he kept dodging at me...so I finally drew my S&W 645 from my shoulder rig and steadily aimed at the animal. I had previously hesitated to do this...hoping that his owners would come and deal with him...but they had not.

The rotty seemed to understand...and he reluctantly backed off and returned to his yard.

I have often wondered if the dog had been exposed to firearms...or if he finally realized that I was more intent on not being bitten than he was on biting me....
    NRA Certified Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle Instructor
    Coming soon- Range Safety Officer and Metallic Cartridge Instructor Certification

US Concealed Carry Magazine

Twice for me, both in 1979.

I borrowed my sisters new car to take the then GF/now wife to a house party in a town that she used to live in. Inside it was dark, the music was loud and we danced. A male bumped into my shoulder and left. About 10 minutes later he did it again and left. I am dancing and then he did it again. I look around and in the darkness I see him and his friends in a corner looking my way. THEN it hit me, they were intending on messing me up. It was dark inside and I slipped outside to the car and got my 357mag from the trunk. Put it in the front of my pants and went back inside. I go to the gfand look around, I look into the corner and the guys see me looking their way. The guy who bumped me comes over and bumps my shoulder real hard and says, " man, whats happening"? I ask, what`s happening dude? he gets real loud, what the fu** do you want to happen? I look and his friends are behind me and to the side of me. I raise my shirt and ask, what do you want to happen? The guys eyes got huge, he said I`m sorry, I`m sorry, I`m sorry man. And they ran off. I grabbed the gf and we left.

The gf and I went to the store to get a 6 pack of 7-UP one night around 9:30 PM. I give her the money and say hurry up I will wait here. A car with 4 Hespanic guys pull into the spot next to me. Three get out and the driver stays in the car and is looking at me with hate in his eyes. I watch the three in the store follow the gf to the counter with no items to buy. I look at the driver and he is watching his friends. I grab my 357mag, put it into my pants and go into the store. I tell the gf get into the truck and lock the doors. I pay for the sodas and head outside with this group following me. The driver is out of his car and walks up to me and says whats happening man? I step to the side and see that the three are within 5ft of me. The driver steps over to where his friends are and says what the fu** is happening? I raise my shirt to expoes the 357mag and ask back, what is happening? Driver says we are sorry, and they ran away leaving their car. I got into my truck getting the hell out of there and the gf asks what was that about?
    Keep your powder dry

drawn on own drugged up son

Unfortunetelly I've had to draw on my own son, he came to my house drugged out of his mind. i had a .380 at the time and this followed him trying to stab my wife with a large butcher knife earlier in the afternoon. To this day i don't know what he was on, and when the police arrived via my call, they saw how deraigned he was and ordered him out of town. They saw the tormoil I was in, but I had determined not to kill him but disable him. This was many years ago and since then has been an ideal father and husband(27 now). This was the ABOSOLUTE hardest thing I have ever done in my life. The police never ask to see my gun or ask me what happened, I guess it was very apparent to them upon arrival. I truly believe he would have killed me. To this day this makes me sad to remember.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links