Who has had to draw their piece? - Page 4

Who has had to draw their piece?

This is a discussion on Who has had to draw their piece? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HOTBRASS, I'm not sure raising your shirt (twice) equals out to "drawing on another person." Given the circumstances, I think it's a miracle you're still ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who has had to draw their piece?

HOTBRASS, I'm not sure raising your shirt (twice) equals out to "drawing on another person." Given the circumstances, I think it's a miracle you're still alive. I know folks (some are high school students) who would've smoothly drawn that 357 from your belt and shoved it in your gut and squeezed the trigger six times before you could even react.

I personally would never allow a BG so close to my unsecured firearm unless it was already in my hand and even then I'd be taking GIANT steps to the rear and side to get out of the grab area and you can be dang certain I'd be moving into a position of retention.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    HOTBRASS, I'm not sure raising your shirt (twice) equals out to "drawing on another person." Given the circumstances, I think it's a miracle you're still alive. I know folks (some are high school students) who would've smoothly drawn that 357 from your belt and shoved it in your gut and squeezed the trigger six times before you could even react.

I personally would never allow a BG so close to my unsecured firearm unless it was already in my hand and even then I'd be taking GIANT steps to the rear and side to get out of the grab area and you can be dang certain I'd be moving into a position of retention.
    +1 That does seem a bit crazy.

As I look back on the situations I would have to agree with you. But it all worked out for the good. Back in the 70`s, kids did not carry guns like they do now. It was fist fights, or maybe knives. Today is a different story. At the time of these incidents I was about 22yrs old.
    Keep your powder dry

If you count grabbing a gun when you hear something funny in the middle of the night, then its been many times for me.

As far as actually drawing on a person, I've never done it. There was an incident where 4 armed guys broke into my apartment when I was 19, before I could get to my shotty I was jumped by them. Thank God my roommate at the time was armed up the wazoo. He was able to neutralize the situation. It ended in the death of one of them and near fatal wounds to another one. Two were not shot, but one had a broken nose from the little scuffle they had with me. Everyone was picked up by the police later on.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I haven't yet been in a situation where I had to draw my gun, but I did have a couple of "Condition Orange" incidents several years ago, before I started carrying.
    One time I was going window shopping for a new used car, and I was driving along a road in a neighboring town with a string of used car lots. This was on a Sunday and everything was closed. I drove down the road for about a mile until I passed the last car lot, and turned around to come back up. Another car pulled up behind me and was following me closely, in a way that made me uncomfortable. I pulled into a convenience store parking lot, hoping they would continue on, but they pulled up right behind me. I stopped and glared at them, and either they mistook me for someone else, or got scared from the look in my eyes. They backed away and got back on the road.
    Another time was on July 4th, and I parked my car in an unlit area in a city park, as close as I could get to the fireworks event. After the fireworks, as I was returning to my car, there were several young people close by, apparently in some gang activity. It was dark and I couldn’t see them very well, but they were yelling at each other, looking to start causing trouble. Then one of them said to me, “Hey, man, you looking to get f***ed up?” I said, “I’m not looking for any trouble.” He said, “That’s a very good answer. You said the right thing.” I got to my car and got out of there, vowing never to park in dark places. Until then I thought my town was a safe place, but then realized I have to watch my back everywhere I go.
    To this day I think about those incidents, about how I might have handled them had they turned bad, and had I been armed at those times.

Wink You were STILL very lucky....

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    As I look back on the situations I would have to agree with you. But it all worked out for the good. Back in the 70`s, kids did not carry guns like they do now. It was fist fights, or maybe knives. Today is a different story. At the time of these incidents I was about 22yrs old.
    I got my first ccw in 1978. I knew then what I know now, but it was taught to me by combat vets fresh from 'Nam. Never flash your gun or let a potential opponent get close enough to grab either you or your weapon. If I was bar crawling (while I was still in school) I wasn't armed but I WAS always accompanied by buddies from ROTC and usually some cadre too. So no worries. Once I was out of college and on active duty I pretty much stuck to the Officers Club. But if I did go out, it was (again) with other officers from my outfit.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    ...... but it was taught to me by combat vets fresh from 'Nam. Never flash your gun or let a potential opponent get close enough to grab either you or your weapon.
    +1

Distance and speed/violence of action is LIFE!
    Up close and personal is not the place to flash a sidearm.
    Age, training, and experience matters.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by cannon View Post
    Spyderdude, thanks for sharing.....I have sewing-machine leg in bad situations, too. My fear is having to draw, and through pure excitment,fear,alarm,adrenelin, etc....just squeeze off a round without really meaning to.....anyone have any suggestions on this?

thanks, piper
    Reminder...Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until on target and " ready to fire".

I'm pretty new here but I figured I would share anyway.....

I don't have my CCL yet as it is still processing but that's another story....I openly carry a firearm when I travel in the state of Virginia, I am pretty uncomfortable staying away from home anyway.....

So about a year ago exactly my wife and I decided to go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for some Halloween thing they do there, being freshly married and pretty young we are pretty broke.....so we stayed in a Super 8, it was on the same strip as the other hotels so I figured it would be fine and was half price.....

So we check in and get to our room, it is unusually hot for October so I switch on the AC, nothing happens, being hot natured as I am I am not very comfortable trying to sleep without AC so I called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room, which they gladly do....Well apparently someone had been moved out of the room we had just moved into.....

So I tell my wife I am going to take a shower as she unpacks our bags....I place my 1911 on top of the in room safe in the corner closest to the bathroom.....right before I get into the shower the room phone rings and it's the front desk asking if we had seen any Busch Gardens tickets in our room the people that had just come from there said they left them there, I looked around and called back and told them they weren't in our room, then I went and got in the shower......

I get out of the shower, and dry off and get dressed, I'm combing my hair when I here several knocks on the door, my wife looks out the peep hole I asked who it is she says it looks like someone from the hotel staff so I come out of the bathroom near my 1911 and tell her to see what they want....

She opens the doors and a very large black man barges in through the door and is standing ~12-15 ft from me screaming about me ruining his kids vacation, I quickly grab the 1911 which is cocked and locked and flip the safety off......I told him he had 5 seconds to get out of my room before he met an ill fate (plus or minus an expletive or two) my wife rushed to the phone and dialed 911 and said someone had barged into our room.....45 minutes later a Williamsburg PD officer shows up to investigate.....he comes into our room with my permission and searches for the tickets....he then talks with the man and orders him to leave the motel and stay somewhere else....good

When the LEO came to drop off his card he told me that I handled the situation well....took some information and left.....to this day even I type this my hands get sweaty and legs tremble to the fact that I was so close to taking another mans life.....but at the same time the whole situation seemed to happen in slow motion with a huge amount of clarity.......that's good I suppose.

Lessons Learned:

#1 - First and foremost be more aware of my situation I should have never taken that shower until the "ticket" situation was handled, I shudder to think what would have happened if he entered the room and got to my piece before I did if I was still in the shower. An ounce of awareness is worth a lot more than 230 grains of lead, 10 pounds of lead for that matter.

#2 - Always lock every lock on a hotel room door and only answer the door if the chain lock is still on to prevent someone from busting in......

#3 - If I am put in that situation again I will know that I can and will be ready for it, and can make that decision to do what needs to be done to make sure I and my wife are safe.

Thanks for listening and I hope someone can take something from this and learn from my mistakes in judgment.

Josh

Many years as an LEO in a high crime and aggressive area. Unfortunately it was so common that most other guys on the dept. avoided coming into the area. First few times, decisions were made. After that all the decisions had already been made and it was a matter of calm cool headed training.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    and clearing my own house several times due to paranoia,
    i have done the same thing at my house. old wood floors creak funny and witht he humidity and all makes it sound like someone is walking around trying to be quiet. found out i have "crips" living across the street so i'm constantly watching over there and checking around outside.. very unsettling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links