Who has had to draw their piece?

This is a discussion on Who has had to draw their piece? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious and wondering which forum members have actually had to draw, and or fire their carry piece in self defense? What was the scenario? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has had to draw their piece?

Just curious and wondering which forum members have actually had to draw, and or fire their carry piece in self defense? What was the scenario? What were you thoughts afterwards? Any changes in what you would do next?
    Years ago, while bartending at a remote beach bar, 3 "patrons" entered the otherwise empty establishment and ordered some drinks.
    One of the guys (he was as big as a gorrila) was obviously very intoxicated and I refused him service. This made him even more beligerant and hostile and he prceeded to come behind the bar, backing me into a corner and telling me how I was about to die!
    His buddies just stood there waiting to see what happened next. Seeing how I was alone, and the phone was on the wall behind him ,I produced my .44 Mag Virginian Dragoon and leveled it at his chest.
    This had no effect on prince charming and he continued to stalk me.
    Then one of his buddies said that he had a gun and I had better not try anything...
    When I felt the end of the bar against my back, and knew that further escape was impossible, it was then and only then that I realized that I just might have to shoot this guy and perhaps some of his mates as well ! It's hard to decribe the feeling that washed over me at that moment, but it must of been obvious to the others cause when I looked at them and said "YOU BETTER GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!!"
    they jumped the bar and wrestled him, kicking and screaming out to their car. One said "I saw your gun"..I got a 1911 right after....
    When in doubt, wup it out....

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The few people on this board who have actually had to draw in self defense would probably rather not share it, but I will however share my story that happened over a year ago.

It was April 19, 2006, and my Mother had asked me to go to Wal-Mart for her around 8:00 PM. Being the nice son I am, I gladly fullfilled her request. I got there without any troubles, and gathered the things she needed, and I got a couple things I needed. I spent about an hour in there, and upon completing my purchase, I walked back out to my car which was on the other side of the parking lot. As I made my way back I saw a sillouette of a rather large man next to my car. I dropped my shopping bags, and went up to the guy who had his right fist in the air, like he was about to bust out my driver side window with it. I asked him "What the &$*@ you doing to my car?" He looked at me with a look I will never ever forget. I knew then it was time to back off, as I saw him pull out a huge hunting knife, and he started coming at me with it. I sidestepped, and backed away as fast as I could. I saw him hit the ground as he was slightly intoxicated, and I quickly searched my person for something to defend myself with (I usually carry a small pocket knife on me). I felt something in my coat pocket (thinking it was my knife), and I pulled it out. It wasn't my knife, instead it was my Taurus 357 Magnum snubnose I had taken to the range the previous day. By the time I pulled it out, the guy had already gotten back up and stared straight down the barrel of my gun. His eyes grew to the size of pancakes, and he dropped the knife, and stumbled away as fast as he could. I saw him run off, and I quickly grabbed my shopping bags, and got out of there as fast as I could. I was so shooken up by the whole thing, I didn't even think once to call the cops, I just wanted to go home. I stalled my car at least 5 times going home, because my legs were shaking so badly, I couldnt work the clutch and gas properly (5 speed manual transmission car). I got home, and realized my gun wasn't loaded. I had used all ammo at the range the previous day. I spent a couple weeks at home refusing to leave, until I could get myself back together (I called in to work, and told them I had a family emergency and had to take a couple weeks off). There are a few things I have learned from this experience,

Have a cell phone
    Always have some defensive ammo on hand
    Call the cops
    Know that I got a gun on me (I had a big coat and a small gun)
    Never leave home with an empty gun
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    The few people on this board who have actually had to draw in self defense would probably rather not share it, but I will however share my story that happened over a year ago.

It was April 19, 2006, and my Mother had asked me to go to Wal-Mart for her around 8:00 PM. Being the nice son I am, I gladly fullfilled her request. I got there without any troubles, and gathered the things she needed, and I got a couple things I needed. I spent about an hour in there, and upon completing my purchase, I walked back out to my car which was on the other side of the parking lot. As I made my way back I saw a sillouette of a rather large man next to my car. I dropped my shopping bags, and went up to the guy who had his right fist in the air, like he was about to bust out my driver side window with it. I asked him "What the &$*@ you doing to my car?" He looked at me with a look I will never ever forget. I knew then it was time to back off, as I saw him pull out a huge hunting knife, and he started coming at me with it. I sidestepped, and backed away as fast as I could. I saw him hit the ground as he was slightly intoxicated, and I quickly searched my person for something to defend myself with (I usually carry a small pocket knife on me). I felt something in my coat pocket (thinking it was my knife), and I pulled it out. It wasn't my knife, instead it was my Taurus 357 Magnum snubnose I had taken to the range the previous day. By the time I pulled it out, the guy had already gotten back up and stared straight down the barrel of my gun. His eyes grew to the size of pancakes, and he dropped the knife, and stumbled away as fast as he could. I saw him run off, and I quickly grabbed my shopping bags, and got out of there as fast as I could. I was so shooken up by the whole thing, I didn't even think once to call the cops, I just wanted to go home. I stalled my car at least 5 times going home, because my legs were shaking so badly, I couldnt work the clutch and gas properly (5 speed manual transmission car). I got home, and realized my gun wasn't loaded. I had used all ammo at the range the previous day. I spent a couple weeks at home refusing to leave, until I could get myself back together (I called in to work, and told them I had a family emergency and had to take a couple weeks off). There are a few things I have learned from this experience,

Have a cell phone
    Always have some defensive ammo on hand
    Call the cops
    Know that I got a gun on me (I had a big coat and a small gun)
    Never leave home with an empty gun
    Glad your story ended well. Looks as if you learned something too.
    Bet you've never again been unaware of what you have in your pocket. Alls well that ends well.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Been close fortunately a Surefire was enough!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have.
    It wasn't fun.
    Was also bartending.
    Glad I'm not any more.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Nope, haven't yet, hope to never have to. Been in more than one bad situation where I wished that I had a gun. That's why I now have a permit to carry. I was a slow learner!

3 times so far, never fired, presenting was enough. My old job had me in real crummy places at ungodly hours.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I have. Didn't enjoy it either time and hope I never have to again. But, if the situation calls for it, I know I will be able to.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The few people on this board who have actually had to draw in self defense would probably rather not share it,
    I can fully understand this. However, I too am very curious about these stories. I have been in some bad situations to the piont that if I had a gun I wouldv'e puled it. I now have one and I havnt had to pull it yet but I am a lil more mature and see the situaton befor it happens.

I have several friends that are LEOs and get to hear them talk sometimes. Most dont mind talkin about it much but you can just see in thier eyes that they didnt like being put in the situation, but there was only one option at the time. Usually the last thing they say is.....I didn't want to, but I had no choice. Fortunatly, most of them cope well and learn how to deal with it.
    God bless our
    LEO
    Military
    fellow CHL'ers
    and any one forced to ......

Thank You Both for sharing your stories. IMPO..... I think that ppl can learn for others talking about it.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

I've had to twice, Both shook me up a little..........

First one was in my apartment I shared with two roommates I went to college with....it was Friday and both of them had left to go to thier respective parents houses, dirty laundry in tow, and left me to my own devices. I was going fishing early the next morning so I turned in early.......meaning I fell asleep on the couch watching Jonny Carson (yes, it was that long ago). I awoke to an imposing figure attempting to jimmy the lock on the patio slideing glass door. I pulled my P85 from under the couch and loudly told to individual to leave and that I'm armed. The 'Individual' was one of my roommates and had left his apartment keys on his bed. His parents had left on a cruise and wern't home and his house keys were also with his apt. keys. He had thought I was gone also so knocking wouldn't done any good he thought. Neither one of us slept the rest of the night.

Second incedent involved my then GF's ex-husband......this yahoo was bad news, alcholic, drugs, history of physical abuse, AND he was her ex....just a nasty situation. I drove up in her driveway with a couple bags of groceies and witnessed him trying to force his way into the house thru the "getto gate" I called it......those iron security gates outside the actual door.......he was being loud, nasty, and pulling, pushing, and kicking for all he was worth (which wasn't much) to get in. My GF was standing at the door, phone in hand dialing 911 but it had no affect, he was just enraged. I exited my truck and loudly told him to leave NOW. He turns around to face me and brings up a baseball bat and tells me that this is my last mistake. I sidestepped off the driveway and pulled my P229 and made my sidearm condition one......it was condition three ATT....All I remember was being totaly focused on him and moving off to the side to clear my background. He was actually approaching me, bat up, when I racked the slide and brought my gun 'alert to the dirt' (low and at the ready). His eyes went BIG, dropped the bat, turned and RAN outta there. The cops showed up a few minutes later and took statements and when they (2 of them were there) checked my CWP and DL, left to track him down. One of the cops was none to pleased about my being armed and was almost hostile about it, the other one pulled me aside and quietly said "good job and that I was right leagly in not taking any further action". He (the ex) never 'showed up' at her house again.

A Few Lessons learned: These are my takes of the above incidents....

1. When the time comes to draw my sidearm, I will.

2. Carry in condition one....time/distance may not allow an extra, unnecessary action.

3. Adrenaline is a fact and it will alter your demeaner as much as being scared s@#t-less will. Good training is all I (and you I believe) have and you/I will "fall back" to that training if/when the time comes for this kind of action and the adrenaline is pumping. Practice and train with a positive, real purpose!

4. Afterwards is when what has happened hits....hard. "Decompression" is necessary and when the cops are involved and wanna know what happened, don't babble on like a doufus.....take deep breaths and give just the facts, any more than that and you must get help in the form of a lawer and some "down time".

5. I never looked to draw my sidearm before and I hope/pray I'm never in a situation again that requires that action.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Just posting to see what else gets added. I've had to draw "on duty" but so far haven't had to off duty yet.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    I've drawn a couple of times in the car when someone appeared to be up to something (nobody outside the car saw it, just me and the wife), and thankfully nothing happened.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Not really self-defense, and I probably should have handled it differently, but I have drawn a gun on some miscreants.

Back in college 20+ years ago, I lived in a cheesy apartment that backed up to a pretty bad neighborhood. One afternoon I saw three guys jump the fence and start trying to break into my neighbor's car. My roommate's truck had been broken into a couple of weeks before, so I wanted to send a message.

I came out of the door with my Smith and Wesson pump 12 gauge and chambered a shell (chick-CHICK!) and their eyes got really big and they took off running. Fortunately I never saw them again, and we didn't have any more break-ins while I lived there.
    Attached Images

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel View Post
    Not really self-defense, and I probably should have handled it differently, but I have drawn a gun on some miscreants.

Back in college 20+ years ago, I lived in a cheesy apartment that backed up to a pretty bad neighborhood. One afternoon I saw three guys jump the fence and start trying to break into my neighbor's car. My roommate's truck had been broken into a couple of weeks before, so I wanted to send a message.

I came out of the door with my Smith and Wesson pump 12 gauge and chambered a shell (chick-CHICK!) and their eyes got really big and they took off running. Fortunately I never saw them again, and we didn't have any more break-ins while I lived there.

Wow i didn't know S&W made a .12 gauge pistol grip gun.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

drawing down is a unique experience, and I don't think the feelings ever go away. Having been in combat, drawing stateside, and clearing my own house several times due to paranoia, the only difference between the first time and the hundredth time are the things you pick up along the way, like carrying in condition one, knowing what situations call for what actions, and learning to fire in groups because they never go down after one. But you still get that same feeling you did the first time when its all said done, at least i do, some shakes, heavy breathing, and the urge to pee
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links