2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA - Page 2

2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA

This is a discussion on 2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Always keep an eye out for one more guy. Be sure you don't get so focused on the first two that you miss number 3 ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Always keep an eye out for one more guy. Be sure you don't get so focused on the first two that you miss number 3 coming in from somewhere out of sight.

Just because, I would call the info in to the local LE. Most departments have some sort of informal reporting where they take information and store it "just in case" it becomes handy. Be careful how you phrase the part about letting them see what you had, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Yeah the IHOP across the way had a big gang fight one night. The Blue Ridge Grill is right there and has good food. The DMV is in the back of this plaza behind the TSC. I rarely stop at the Sheetz there, but stay on high alert when I do. A lot of the crime in Leesburg occurs on that side of the highway within about 8 blocks. It was so bad a few years ago that they built the new police station over that way to help calm it down.

I agree with Self Defense. Once Guy #2 hit up Guy #1 for cables I would have said my work here is done. You two guys look like you can handle it, see ya. Just to amuse myself I may have told guy #2 to watch out for the internet scam guy #1 was pitching.
    Yeah well, Guy#1's internet scam wasn't just a distraction...I checked in on it. I'm going to have to call this one in to local le in the am when I can clearly articulate the full events.

Oh yeah...the internet scam part
    - Originally Guy#1 handed me a business card when he first brought up his "internet business plan". So I just took the card (never actually intending to do anything with it). I checked the card tonight. It was done via a biz card freebee website(watermarked on the back- whata dummy). The website and email contact on the front of the card wasn't really a legit address - it's just got parked advertising. I ran a check on the owner of the domain and it comes up protected, but through multiple sites I was able to get that it was registered through a registrar in Belgium to a company in the Bahamas. Some checking on the company in the Bahamas (listed as an advertizing company) only comes up with a website that basically says they do automagic Domain name generations. These guys were really trying hard. Looks like they must have really planned this thing out.

In hind sight all of you are correct. I should have just let it go to begin with and at most run in and talk to the store manager to let him know what was going on outside and then bail. Lessons learned.
    Last edited by packinnova; July 24th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...the internet scam part
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Always keep an eye out for one more guy. Be sure you don't get so focused on the first two that you miss number 3 coming in from somewhere out of sight.

Just because, I would call the info in to the local LE. Most departments have some sort of informal reporting where they take information and store it "just in case" it becomes handy. Be careful how you phrase the part about letting them see what you had, though.
    Yeah I know about that last statement...don't want to get tagged for "brandishing" although technically we are open carry here and I do carry that way fairly regularly. As for watching for the 3rd guy...good point...Although I thought Guy#2 was the other guy coming up from behind. Originally it was just guy#1 and his request for directions and then hit me with the "business plan". Guy#2 approached from my 8 oclock as guy#1 was walking towards his car and doing his mystery nod thing.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah I kinda had a gut feeling early on, but I decided to see if it was legit or not (I know bad idea - hindsight and all). It really keyed me up once the guys truck started when I purposefully sabotaged my end of the circuit.
    If you have the gut feeling, you should have immediately followed it. Right then and there, no hesitation. "I am not willing to help, you can ask the attendent to call 911." After that, "leave me alone" and safely egress and/or call 911. There is absolutely no social contract between you and strangers. They could have asked for help from the attendent. I did not say to say, "I cannot help", but to say "I am not willing to help". Again, you owe them nothing.

Keeping up an interaction with them only kept you exposed to peril/danger for a longer time and kept up the possible cat and mouse game. It may have been interesting/adrenalin filled, but I humbly submit that you unnecessarily exposed yourself to danger and to the possibility of having to use force.

Alas, my hindsight is in 20/20 and I wasn't there.

I am new here, what is a "Virginia-Tuck"?
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

JD
    Administrator
    Tucking your shirt in behind your IWB or OWB holster making it visable. Mainly utilized in Va due to the Law against concealed carry in restaurants serving alchohol, VA tuck = instant open carry which is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Tucking your shirt in behind your IWB or OWB holster making it visible. Mainly utilized in Va due to the Law against concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol, VA tuck = instant open carry which is legal.
    Like strong body language don't mess with me. Here in WA. state we can not go into bars or taverns period. So we have no Washington tuck.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    I am new here, what is a "Virginia-Tuck"?
    Well it starts like this: "You put your left gun in, you take your left gun out, you put your left gun in, and you shake it all about....."

Ok I am sorry to say that, but thats what I always think whenever I hear it called out.

As to the topic, yea that many redflags going off you should have chogied out of there sooner. Glad you are all right though.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Yep... I believe it was an interview... and yes, I believe you engaged in a cat & mouse game for way too long. However, it all turned out well this time.

Guy #2 when he stepped into his car to start it up with the "sabotaged jump" could have very easily stepped right back out with his own gun pointed at you. And then where would you be... with gun still in it's holster? He definitely would have had the drop on you! Cocked gun in hand beats your startled draw anyday.

Not all BG's are sheep either. While most of them look for easy unassuming marks, some would just as soon be just as gutsy as you were... and at gun point, relieved you of your gun, your money and maybe even your ride. Hey nothing like a new "stolen gun" to use in the next robbery.

Just food for thought!

Don't get me wrong... I'm in EMS and I'm generally a helpful guy too... I definitely learned a lot from your scenario that may keep me alive in the future!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Things seemed to have turned out well...but you let it go on way too long...

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, sounds like you were interviewed. Next time, when the spidey sense kicks in, just get out of the situation. As someone else said, 2 to 1 odds are not in your favor, gun or no gun. Just remove yourself from the situation.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Your Virginia tuck just showed them your trump card. First thing wrong was you should have sent the first guy inside to ask directions. Second was you should have denied the request for a jump as you KNEW something was up. You are not road-aid.Sometimes polite at a gas station can get you jacked or worse. JMHO Chuck.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Well theres a reason they call it SLEESBURG, my buddy here at work pulled his gun on a guy at the movie theatre up there last November. He was coming out of a movie when a guy asked him for a smoke. He turned him down and the guy proceeded to try to convince him with a buey knife. My buddy responded with his G19. Cops were there in less then a minute. Dragged the guy away.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You got lucky. Why play "bait"? Its not wise to play with wild dogs, unless you're enough of a hardcase to kill them, then finish your Coke & smoke, while cleaning your gun with one of their shirts.

I love reading threads like this (when they turn out ok) because it serves as a constantly needed reminder that when your inside-your-head alarm goes off you need to listen to it.

I want to be helpful and a good neighbor as much as the next guy but there was hinkyness-a-plenty going on here that would have had me breaking off this encounter much earlier.

Sometimes you just gotta hang up the phone, close the door, get in your car and drive off or head for significant population.

Glad you came out ok.
    "Friend, I would not harm thee for all the world, but thou art standing where I am about to shoot."--Unknown Quaker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links