2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA

This is a discussion on 2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty sure I was just assessed by a 2-man team when I stopped for gas in Leesburg on my way home. I had just ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 man team "Interviewed" me in NoVA

I'm pretty sure I was just assessed by a 2-man team when I stopped for gas in Leesburg on my way home.

I had just started pumping the gas when I spotted a guy out of the corner of my eye headed my way. My attire was an untucked button-up shirt and bluejeans and a pair of oakley's effectively holding my hair up and back.

Anywho...Guy #1 arrives and strikes up a conversation. Basically says he needs directions to the Expo Center. I give him my directions as best I can, keeping it short and to the point. At the end he thanked me and then "hit me up" for an internet business plan - Yeah I know talk about my radar going blip blip blip. So I try my best to wrap up with this guy and he starts to walk away and as he reached his car parked just at the other end of the station(currently my 12oclock) I noticed he NODDED! There were a few other cars around, but for the most part there was no one else there. Who or what was he nodding to? Within seconds of his "nod" a second guy(Guy# 2) approaches from back around my 8 oclock asking for a "jump"(presumably a jump-start of a dead battery). I told him sure I'd help jump, but I don't have cables. He immediately yelled across the station to Guy #1 that was just getting into his car, and asked him for jump cables.

I decided to help just in case it was legit, but kept my guard up. I pulled my car over around to this guy's truck and popped my hood. He mentions that he forgot and left his lights on while he was in McD's and must have burned the battery (HIGH ALERT!!!). I remembered seeing this truck pull in after I did and he NEVER went in McDonalds! About this time Guy#1 shows back up with the Jump cables. I kept them on my weak side and went around to my drivers side to start my car back up.

At that point while in my car I did what everyone here calls the "Virginia-Tuck". So I got back out of the car and approached Guy#1 and took one end of the cables while Guy#2 hooked them up to his own battery. Here's the kicker: When I hooked up my side I kept them on my weak side and when I attached the clips, I attached the red to positive, but when neither were looking directly at me, connected the Black to a PLASTIC CLIP! It never completed the circuit (did this on purpose). So I told him to "start 'er up" and turned so it was obvious what was on my strong side (1911). Both of them had that glazed look so it was clear they saw it. Anyway, Guy#2 got back in his truck and MAGICALLY it started!!!

He got back out and thanked me and the Guy#1 and we all parted ways. I find it interesting though that they both split pretty fast!

So what do y'all think? Was I interviewed for sheep status or what?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD
    Administrator
    Totally, I think you did very well, however you should have gone into the store to "ask the attendant for assistance in calling a tow service" AKA get ready to call 911

VIP Member
    They may have been looking to jack your car!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    They may have been looking to jack your car!
    Yeah I kinda had a gut feeling early on, but I decided to see if it was legit or not (I know bad idea - hindsight and all). It really keyed me up once the guys truck started when I purposefully sabotaged my end of the circuit.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

That the way to stay alert.
    And I am glad to hear you are o.k.

Scary... good to hear that the mere sight of your gun was enough.

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like a classic ''interview'' - exploring you as possible victim.

Was that the Sheetz in Leesburg? - Little ways down from red light on main drag? I stopped for gas there some time ago en route to Dulles - and recall spotting some shady characters ... wonder if that's a popular scamming location.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sounds like a classic ''interview'' - exploring you as possible victim.

Was that the Sheetz in Leesburg? - Little ways down from red light on main drag? I stopped for gas there some time ago en route to Dulles - and recall spotting some shady characters ... wonder if that's a popular scamming location.
    LOL - yeah that was it. Just down the way from the Home Depot etc shopping center. I think there's a DMV right back up in there sorta hidden up behind the gas station. There's signs along rt15 for it. I usually try to time my gas stops so I stop out near berryville (cheaper) but made extra trips this week and had to stop early. I figured sheetz would be cheaper.

-The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    Next time go with your gut feeling and get out of there. 2 to 1 is not good odds, gun or not. glad everything turned out o.k.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    way to be alert, while at the same time trying to help the guy out, in case it was legit. Trying to be helpful and friendly to strangers, while not walking into a trap is always a difficult balance.

Did you call it in to local LE? May give them some idea as to whom to look for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Next time go with your gut feeling and get out of there. 2 to 1 is not good odds, gun or not. glad everything turned out o.k.
    That is what I was thinking,

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Who or what was he nodding to? Within seconds of his "nod" a second guy(Guy# 2) approaches from back around my 8 oclock asking for a "jump"(presumably a jump-start of a dead battery). I told him sure I'd help jump, but I don't have cables. He immediately yelled across the station to Guy #1 that was just getting into his car, and asked him for jump cables.
    This is where I have a problem with the story. Guy 2 asks you for a jump. When you told him you didn't have cables and he yelled at Guy 1 for cables I would have simply let Guy 1 jump his car. If Guy 2 would have provided his own cables then I would still consider helping. As soon as he drew another (one you already suspected) into the situation I would have been long gone.

No criticism of your actions but it sure seemed like you wanted to be in a precarious situation perhaps to show them you weren't a sheep.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    LOL - yeah that was it. Just down the way from the Home Depot etc shopping center. I think there's a DMV right back up in there sorta hidden up behind the gas station. There's signs along rt15 for it. I usually try to time my gas stops so I stop out near berryville (cheaper) but made extra trips this week and had to stop early. I figured sheetz would be cheaper.
    Yeah the IHOP across the way had a big gang fight one night. The Blue Ridge Grill is right there and has good food. The DMV is in the back of this plaza behind the TSC. I rarely stop at the Sheetz there, but stay on high alert when I do. A lot of the crime in Leesburg occurs on that side of the highway within about 8 blocks. It was so bad a few years ago that they built the new police station over that way to help calm it down.

I agree with Self Defense. Once Guy #2 hit up Guy #1 for cables I would have said my work here is done. You two guys look like you can handle it, see ya. Just to amuse myself I may have told guy #2 to watch out for the internet scam guy #1 was pitching.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

JD
    Administrator
    Note to self, stay the out of Leesburg...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links