Vehicle Carry - Bad Area

Vehicle Carry - Bad Area

This is a discussion on Vehicle Carry - Bad Area within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you not in the Pittsburgh Area we have had (Once Again) a rash of Daylight shootings in the Charles Street/ Northview Heights ...

Thread: Vehicle Carry - Bad Area

me [OP]

Vehicle Carry - Bad Area

For those of you not in the Pittsburgh Area we have had (Once Again) a rash of Daylight shootings in the Charles Street/ Northview Heights Housing Project Area this past week. Today I had to drive straight down Charles Street and just past Northview Heights.

Before I did so I went ahead and tucked my cover shirt (open) behind my back and Unbuckled my seatbelt when I got into the area to allow me to quickly access my gun if needed, the gun would have been a bit more visible but open carry is legal.

I had no Choice but to drive through this area as one of the kids in my youth ministry lives right by there.

Have any of you done something of this sort while going through a bad area.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I do untuck in certain areas but I'm sort of a seat belt fanatic, so I just try to adjust the best I can for easy access. Also do it going to the atm or bank drive thru.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

JD
    Administrator
    Pending on the area, I unholster and just stick my gun under my leg, I know, I know, it's not preferred, but pending on if the area is bad enough it's worth it to me.

Lately my area or work has changed do I don't have to go through "da hood" as much.

Administrator
    I do the ghetto tuck from time to time as well, but the flip side to this is if you crash even at low speed, chances are your gun will be tossed into neverland where you cant get it quickly if needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I drive a technician type van most of the time. It has a filing cabinet/writing surface in between the seats. Inside the cabinet is a cheapo fobus holster bolted to the side. Seat belt stays on, easy access if the need arises. Plus, the cabinet is lockable. It is also the place the weapon is stored when I have to go without.

Wink So many times, I've lost count....

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Before I did so I went ahead and tucked my cover shirt (open) behind my back and Unbuckled my seatbelt when I got into the area to allow me to quickly access my gun if needed, the gun would have been a bit more visible but open carry is legal.

I had no Choice but to drive through this area as one of the kids in my youth ministry lives right by there.

Have any of you done something of this sort while going through a bad area.
    Heck that used to be part of my JOB description and still is as a social studies teacher in an inner city high school.

Waaaaay back when, though, I carried a badge for a living as a State of Florida Probation & Parole Officer. Back then we were certified LEO's by state law, however, agency policy forbade any sort of arms being carried. The bad guys knew it too. But since the law was on the side of Truth, Justice and the American Way....and since my bosses knew that my caseload had been built from the baddest of the bad of existing female officer's caseloads...they told me that I could carry whatever I wished. This was primarily a reaction to being an Infantry Captain fairly fresh from active duty at the time. That being the case, I chose to carry what I was most familiar with, so I chose a 1911. The only caveat was a plea that if I had to shoot, make sure it was a "good shoot" decision and they'd back me up all the way. So...I did that.

I never had any problems anyway. Those folks all knew the legal penalties for assaulting their P.O. In fact they used to take me up and down the block and introduce me to all the other bad actors in the area with warnings not to mess with me or my car....lest such behavior bring massive retaliation from my client, who usually were the baddest of the bad anyway!

These days, I don't feel the need to carry at school, nor on the way to school. However, if I want to get almost anywhere south of my home, I'm almost certain to have to pass thru or near some really BAD areas. That's okay. I'm always armed if I'm not on my way to work.

Here's a great choice for a vehicle gun IMHO. http://www.taurususa.com/video/tauru...udge-video.cfm Watch the video titled THE JUDGE. This in all likelihood is my next handgun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    The way I have my OWB relative to seat belt, I can achieve a fairly fast draw - and so in those sortsa areas would most of time drive with strong hand on gun ... and so be able to effect a reasonable draw.

As sixto points out - inertia and momentum are factors that would all but guarantee your piece, if loose on seat or between knees even .. reaching nether regions where retrieval could be less than rapid, in the event of an emergency stop - or worse, a fender bender!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i have a gun in the car a lot of the time besides the weapon i carry on me. if i don't, i unholster and just leave the gun on the passenger seat (legal here in GA).

my butt is big enough that i don't wanna worry about having to draw through a seatbelt and a shirt while sitting.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

me [OP]
    I never had mine clear of the holster just easily available in the holster.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Pending on the area, I unholster and just stick my gun under my leg, I know, I know, it's not preferred, but pending on if the area is bad enough it's worth it to me.

Lately my area or work has changed do I don't have to go through "da hood" as much.
    This was a common practice with undercover agents while going through the checkpoints between East and West Germany. I used to use this method but after having the flaws pointed out by a friend I stopped. I now have an old IWB holster that I don't use that I can just hook up to the seatbelt so it rides in a appendix fashion. There was a good article written by Louis Awerbuck a few years ago on this very topic, I'll see if I can find it.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

I have my XD9sc BUG in a kydex holster under the dash mounted on a 2 inch wide flat bar approx 12 inches long and bolted to the transmission hump next to gas pedal/center console. (The flat bar is welded to a steel hinge to provide proper angle and stand-off from the console then the hinge was welded solid then bolted to floor)

Mounted in perfect grip position just like reaching down to shake hands.

When exiting the vehicle I just grab the BUG and holster it.

I was going to mount holster to plastic dash below/right of steering wheel but friend of mine who is a machinist didn't think it would be sturdy enough to handle weight of gun without eventually pulling loose and also had to turn hand 90 degrees to draw gun.

Took less than a day to design, find parts, fabricate and mount. We epoxy coated the whole flat bar and mount then painted it to match center console before mounting.

Works like a champ, and not in the way of foot pedals. I can panic break and do quick pedal changes and not contact the mount!

Rock solid, no vibration or rattle and it isn't coming loose!

If I can get some pictures this weekend I'll try and post them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My job requires me to drive through the crappy side of town too. I have settled on a secured, hidden second gun in the truck. It's location is easy to hand, but it will not be found or opened unless somebody knows exactly what to look for. I can grab the gun from a seated position with almost no upper body movement, and it's MUCH faster than trying to draw from an IWB holster while seated.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

My truck has a 60/40 split seat and I stick my glock between them. I can easily get to the gun and its not going to move unless I roll the truck over. The gun is hidden from view by my right leg and the fold down arm rest. I also keep a collapsible batton stuck in there just in case I am forced to go someplace that guns are banned.

I avoid the area but if I must go I put up the center console and I put my gun under my leg, I do not undo my seat belt as the chances of a car accident are much greater.
    I also wear safety glasses because if I ever have to shoot thru the window there will be some glass and powered coming back at me, not mention the fragments from incoming rounds.

I guess first of all the answer is no, I have never taken my seat belt off and made any specific access to my carry pistol when in a bad part of town.

First reason is in Texas, and the surrounding areas, it is illegal to drive without your seatbelt on.

Second reason is if I am driving my car, I intend on using the car to get out of the area if I hear gunshoots and not attempt to have a shootout while driving.

I don't know the circumstances of the daytime shootings your referring to, if they were attempted car jackings, or just shootings in general in that area. If they are shootings during a car jacking I somewhat understand wanting a weapon readily available. If they are just shootings in general, I would prefer to concentrate on getting out of the area safely as quickly as I could, and that would include leaving my seatbelt on.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links