A Cell Phone, Bang, Bang You are DEAD!

This is a discussion on A Cell Phone, Bang, Bang You are DEAD! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always told family members to be aware of their surroundings. Such as sit facing a door, know where the exits are, lock your ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: A Cell Phone, Bang, Bang You are DEAD!

I have always told family members to be aware of their surroundings. Such as sit facing a door, know where the exits are, lock your doors, back into a parking area, scan an area ect.
    Well one time I backed into a parking area to let my daughter go into a store. I had my windows down, and I was looking at my messages on my cell phone. My daughter came out and reached into the window with her Finger pointed at me like it was a gun and said Bang, Bang you are dead! This caught me totally by surprise, I was upset with myself for not being aware of my surrounding. This taught me a lesson that I will never forget. Now I look around and see that so many people are so caught up into their phones that they are easy targets. SHAME ON ME and them. I am somewhat embarrassed by this, but a new learning experience.
    Toolman-Butch
    SBD Stealth Baby (Silent But Deadly)

I have Looked and Now I Have Found

Smart girl!
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

You taught her well. Congrats.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Toolmanbutch View Post
    I have always told family members to be aware of their surroundings. Such as sit facing a door, know where the exits are, lock your doors, back into a parking area, scan an area ect.
    Well one time I backed into a parking area to let my daughter go into a store. I had my windows down, and I was looking at my messages on my cell phone. My daughter came out and reached into the window with her Finger pointed at me like it was a gun and said Bang, Bang you are dead! This caught me totally by surprise, I was upset with myself for not being aware of my surrounding. This taught me a lesson that I will never forget. Now I look around and see that so many people are so caught up into their phones that they are easy targets. SHAME ON ME and them. I am somewhat embarrassed by this, but a new learning experience.
    Toolman-Butch
    She could have done that anyway, whether you were looking at your phone or not. She could have come to her door, but then circled around the back of the vehicle. She could have called you just before coming out the door and while you were looking down, then come around to your window.

The point is, just sitting in your car you are very vulnerable. Think about it. You are restricted from seeing anything in back of you. You often have your seat belt on. You are trapped by the steering wheel. Your vision is shielded by the solid sides of the car. If your window is up your hearing is reduced. If you are CC-ing, it's often hard to get to a 4:00 carried holster when in a bucket seat.

So in reality there is NO safety by backing in and looking around about 110 degrees, even with occasional glances in the mirror, if a determined person wanted to car jack or rob you. If you REALLY wanted to be safe waiting for someone you'd get out of the car and stand beside it so you could see about 300 degrees at a slight turn and glance and you could hear better.

But who wants to get out of a comfortable car? Almost nobody. So in reality, though people TALK about being vigilant and prepared, it's not inner city South America, it's relatively safe USA. We have an 'illusion' of safety.

So no diss of the OP, because we all are in the same boat.
    FWIW
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.) From the movie with Willis, Malcovich and Mirren

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    At my University, I would venture a guess that at least half or more of the students walking around campus outside of class have a cell phone attached to their ear. This is the ultimate condition white in my opinion. And yes, every now and then a kid gets mugged and someone steals, wait for it, the kid's cell phone.
    Old Sarge likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If you’re carrying a gun for self-defense, don’t practice like a marksman. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time to not be nice.

You obviously have taught her well and now she has returned the favor. Everyone has lets their guard down here and there and everyone needs reminders. It's also the reason why everyone needs to continue their training.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

NRA Member
    NRA Certified RSO, Pistol, Shotgun & Rifle Instructor

I remember a time when only "important" people had cell phones or "car phones". Now everyone's got one, even the terminally unemployed, and 10 yr old kids, and most have their heads buried in them during all waking hours. I look forward to the day when using a cell phone for any reason, while driving, becomes prohibited. And hopefully they will be prohibited in movie theaters one day....for now they have ruined the theater experience for me.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Nod
    I gave you a like for that post, it was great ! I try to be alert to my surroundings at all times like you. I only turn my phone on to make a call, I never check it for messages or missed calls. I found that in my 74 years I'm not so important that I have to be in touch 24 hrs a day. When we go on vacation, we take a phone so we can call for a taxi when we get back home. It stays off for the entire vacation.
    NoDeer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    I see it all the time in major urban areas.....condition white
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

VIP Member
    If someone with any smarts at all decides to ambush you, well all I have to say is "good luck and good bye". You can make it tougher for them but if they are determined and halfway smart....

Situational awareness will only get you so far. Sad but true.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

The thing is, we call them cell phones, but, in reality, they are pocket computers that also happen to make phone calls. I think we still call them 'cel phones' because we are all still trying to wrap our heads around the fact that the computer in our pocket is more powerful than our desktops were a decade ago.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

If your head is in your rear end you are a victim.

If someone wants you dead, you are in trouble.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

I have to use my iPad and cell phone while parked in my car. It's part of my job on the road. No real way to avoid it. Best you can do is put it down every few seconds and look around. But if someone wants to get you, they will. Unless you want to drive around in an armored car.
    The number of people killed because they didn't have "enough gun" is dwarfed by those who had none at all.

I did something like that to my wife and daughter when they stopped at a stop sign a few blocks from home I ran over and jumped in the back seat. It shocked them to see how quickly somebody could get into the car. So they started locking the doors after that. It payed off later when some guy grabbed the locked car door handle as my wife slowed down in front of a store.

I understand what the OP is saying but I will not walk around like I live in a war zone. If I want to play a game or send a text message while waiting on my wife im going to do just that. I do not however walk around looking at my phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links