Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun?

This is a discussion on Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Twelve gauge, low brass #4 shot. Slugs or 00 buck in sidesaddle carrier. Hi-viz sights, preferable with mounted light with touchpad....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun?

Twelve gauge, low brass #4 shot. Slugs or 00 buck in sidesaddle carrier. Hi-viz sights, preferable with mounted light with touchpad.

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array Ghostrider1949's Avatar
    I have always been told that you keep your hand gun close and use it to fight your way to your long gun, be it rifle or shotgun, so you can use your long gun to resolve the home defense issue. But I would say that your choice of long gun should be based on factors such as background and possible innocents in the line of fire or imminent danger. I personally trust my ability put a round on target and the BG down with minimum collateral damage.
    If a BG's life problem is trying to impose his violent criminal intent upon me or my loved ones, then I will be the solution to that problem.

For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Based on the layout of my house, it goes without saying I carry a handgun at all times for the "insta-robbery" situations. However, I can cover 2/3 entrances to my house and the only access to all of the bedrooms from my bedroom door. Additionally, for them to climb the stairs (unless they climb stairs backwards) they will not be looking at me. Based on these factors, and the location of the kid's bedrooms relative to my door, my home defense (bump in the night) weapon is the AR15. 30 rounds of .223 goodness outweighs any pistol I own. And after the shooting, I still have all my carry guns to defend myself from thugs "aquaintances".
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member
    Free America

While I don't own any AR-15's (someday I will) I do own several 223's They are quite a high-power round compared to a pistol of average caliber. Do you have any over penetration concerns or if you would miss a BG in the heat of the battle, what would be in the background if the bullet just went through a window? If I was determined to use the AR for home defence, I would pick a light grain bullet of thin construction so that the bullet would fragment on impact. I don't know very much about AR's but, with-in a few years I want to purchase one.

SleepingZ

The weight of the bullet has nothing to do with it. If you wantr fragmentation, look to the Berger Varmint grenade, or the Speer TNT. You'll have to do your own testing for fragmentation vs. penetration. At the right speed, the Varming grenade will come apart on the target's skin, only causing a flesh wound.

Really, you're better off with the shotgun loaded with #4's.

Wow!! What a great forum with life-saving tips!!

I currently live in a studio apartment, kinda like a motel room with a bed in the middle of the room, one door on next to each side of the bed; one to the kitchen and one to the bathroom. I have a few firearms (including a 9mm with JHP and 12 gauge with #4's, both loaded and one in the chamber). There isn't much space (about 15ft) between my pillow and the enterance door.

I'm thinking I should use the 12 gauge with some #4's for SD rather than the 9mm since I'm upstairs and share walls and floor with other tenants...what do you guys think? Thanks for any recommendations!

Distinguished Member
    Travis Morgan: The weight of the bullet does have some influence on the penetration of the bullet, it is called "sectional density" If you compare bullets of the same construction and diameter, the heavier bullet will penetrate deeper. Generally speaking bullets of the same construction, the heavier ones have thicker jackets to hold together better.

As far as any 223 factory load coming apart on the targets skin and only causing a flesh wound, well if you was to get hit in the leg with a 223 it may not break the big bone, but if I was to guess the tissue would be jello.

Your suggestion of #4 is a much better answer for home defence.

Z,

I suggest you do more research on frangible bullets designed for Varmint hunting with a .223.

The point I was making is that you can "tune" a load with these bullets. Barnes had a video on their site of their "Varmint Grenade" bullet coming apart when it hit a grape. This works great on prarie rats, but not so much on Coyotes. For coyotes, you need slightly less velocity, so that it comes apart inside the coyote, rather than giving him a bad flesh wound.

The original question I was responding to had to deal with using frangible bullets in a .223 for home defense. This is a BAD idea. A rifle is designed to penetrate. Don't try to make a gun, or any other tool do what it is NOT designed to do. Use a shotgun inside the house, and a rifle outside the house. Handguns are to keep someone from cutting your throat. BTW, I am a damn good shot with a rifle or pistol. I rarely use a shotgun, but I'm not gonna deal with accidentally shooting my kid or a neighbor by overpenetrating when I use my favorite gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Wow!! What a great forum with life-saving tips!!

I currently live in a studio apartment, kinda like a motel room with a bed in the middle of the room, one door on next to each side of the bed; one to the kitchen and one to the bathroom. I have a few firearms (including a 9mm with JHP and 12 gauge with #4's, both loaded and one in the chamber). There isn't much space (about 15ft) between my pillow and the enterance door.

I'm thinking I should use the 12 gauge with some #4's for SD rather than the 9mm since I'm upstairs and share walls and floor with other tenants...what do you guys think? Thanks for any recommendations!

Lurker,

Good thinking. Slugs and 00 buck in a sidesaddle carrier for longer shots, such as someone shooting at you from the street are a great addition. Also, high visibilty rifle type sights and a BRIGHT LED that clamps onto your magazine tube. That way, if you need a light, it's there. I don't suggest leaving them attached while in use, however. Kinda like how Lasers point both ways.

Always remember to grab you cell phone when you're checking out suspicious noises. Nobody ever got sued for having the cops come check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
    Lurker,

Good thinking. Slugs and 00 buck in a sidesaddle carrier for longer shots, such as someone shooting at you from the street are a great addition. Also, high visibilty rifle type sights and a BRIGHT LED that clamps onto your magazine tube. That way, if you need a light, it's there. I don't suggest leaving them attached while in use, however. Kinda like how Lasers point both ways.

Always remember to grab you cell phone when you're checking out suspicious noises. Nobody ever got sued for having the cops come check things out.
    thanks for the recommendations!

bump for a great thread

Home defense is an issue that only the individual homeowner can properly define for their particular situation. In some cases, a rifle and handgun are good options. In other cases, a shotgun and handgun are good options. If I lived in a rural situation, I'd seriously think about using a rifle for my primary defense firearm backed up by a good pistol. If I were in an apartment, I'd have to think about using a shotgun loaded in several different configurations. The shotgun would be backed up by a decent pistol too. As I see it you will have 3 distinct shooting scenarios that you may need to consider. If the door flies open and the bad guy steps into full view, armed with any weapon and evil intent: shotgun time. If the door flies open and the bad guy peeks around and tries to point a gun in my direction I would want accuracy to be able to quickly engage him: rifle with a red dot scope and flashlight attached to it. If the bad guy suddenly charges at me and is a threat to me: quick reaction with a decent size handgun with maybe a Doktor sight, flashlight or laser on it. If I cover those 3 situations then the bad guy has the bad day and not me.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

This is a good thread. My first line of defense are my two German Shepherds. If you're not awake, you won't have time to react to anything. Second, would be a pistol to fight my way to my long guns.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

When I'm loafing around my apartment I generally have a handgun either on me or within arms reach. It's the quickest option.

When I go to bed at night I have a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck in the corner. I'm not going to use it to clear my house if someone comes in in the middle of the night, but then again....I'm not going to clear my house if someone comes in in the middle of the night. Bunker down behind the bed, the wife gets the Smith model 686 and I get the shotgun. Call the police and watch the bedroom door.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Cool

IMHO the best gun for home defense is the gun that you have or the first gun that you grab.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Always a handgun on me and several other weapons located throughout the home.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links