Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun?

This is a discussion on Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first goto gun is my .45XD. If I have time (BG still trying to break through door) I'll grab a 12 gauge. The .45 ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Discussion -- Suitability for home defense ... shotgun, handgun or other gun?

My first goto gun is my .45XD. If I have time (BG still trying to break through door) I'll grab a 12 gauge. The .45 then becomes my backup if I empty the shotgun or need precision. If it's at night and my house is completely dark, I won't bother with the shotgun. It doesn't have a light attached and require both hands to operate. I can wield the .45 with one hand and the flashlight with the other. If my eyes have adjusted to the darkness, I will use that as an advantage and not turn on the lights. The only rifles I have that I would feel comfortable using against an intruder might also penetrate several houses worth of neighbors.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Wilson sits ON the bedside stand next to my head. If anything goes bump in the night he will be the first thing I grab. My shotgun is buried on the closet somewhere, so getting to it would be a little difficult. Hopefully that will change soon, but for now, my first choice of weapon is my best choice of weapon and kind of my only choice of weapon given the circumstances.

My handgun and I are going to battle together.

Right now, all I have is my trusty 1911, so that is what I'd use. We are in an apartment now, and once I get my carry gun situation settled, I'll be picking up an 870. However, we both know we want to get a house in a more rural area ASAP, so I'll be picking up an AR-15 in anticipation of that move, and I really want a Springfield SOCOM (II or 16, I haven't yet decided...) - just 'cause. We'd love to move out west and have a ranch or farm, so the extra punch & reach the .308 would give will be nice.

Of course, I may end up with all those guns while still living in an apartment. I guess what I'm saying is - don't come in unless you are invited!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

If I'm going to be sitting in a room holed up, it'll be my 870 or mini-14. If I'm clearing my house, it'll be the mini-14 with my pistol strapped to my side. In reality it'll probably just be my xd as that is what I carry so it'll be there at all times. The nice thing about a pistol is you don't have troubles going through narrow halls or having to work with a longer gun. plus it does free up a hand for a light if you don't have a wml on your shottie or carbine.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'd prefer my Ruger mostly because of the fact that is much more easily to operate with my flashlight than my Rem1100. I keep the shotgun condition 3 but just out of immediate access. The Ruger and light go on the night stand.

My location does not make me worry much about neighbors beyond a target.

My roommate does sleep 80 feet away behind a refrigerator and five walls in a best-case-scenario and one door in a worst-case-scenario. That tugs on my mind a bit.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links