Possible Break In

This is a discussion on Possible Break In within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking around and I think that this is the best place for this thread...if not I aplogize. Saturday morning 130 am. I was ...

Thread: Possible Break In

Possible Break In

I was looking around and I think that this is the best place for this thread...if not I aplogize.

Saturday morning 130 am. I was sitting in my recliner watching Futurama, as is my typical routine, when I heard some rustling outside my apartment door. I have a broken leg and a shattered ankle at the moment, so I keep my pistol on me at all times, as I am basically defenseless without. My apartment is set up in such a way that my recliner is opposite the front door, and the entryway wall obstructs half of the door. When i heard the commotion i drew my weapon and prepared for the worst. Sure enough the door opened, I lit up the entryway with my light and laser, the door then closed and I heard running down the stairs. It took everything I had to hold back from dumping 14 rounds of .45 JHP into my door. However, safety first, I did not know what was behind the door, and firing in an apartment is risky business. From this situation I can derive two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1. Bars here close at 0100. Half hour to get home, completely wasted, someone got the wrong apartment door, and was confused when the key wouldnt work(although I heard no keys) and was relieved to find the door unlocked. When lit up with the light, got scared and ran.

Scenario 2. 3 subjects entered the building and split up. One per floor. When my open door was found(the rustling) he got the other 2. (explaining the delay between the noise and the breech) Once again, when the entryway lit up, they ran.

I called the police and gave a report. They did the whole nine yards but found nothing worthwhile. What would you have done? Keeping in mind you have a broken leg and shattered ankle. Oh, one more thing. I don't know about you guys, but once a situation is over, my body does a little adrenaline dump, and my legs start shaking like nobody's business. Do you know how much that hurts when you have 11 screws and 2 plates fresh in the bones? YIKES!
    Last edited by hrtbrk07; July 29th, 2007 at 03:32 AM. Reason: that "one more thing"
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    ...was relieved to find the door unlocked.

Glad it turned out ok. First thing I would do is have a locked door! My door is always locked, day or night. IIRC the scumbags in the CT home invasion/massacre entered through an unlocked door. I absolutely would not have fired, as you did not, without knowing who I was firing at. It would be really bad to have plugged a neighbor (or someone visiting a neighbor) who got the wrong door. I think lighting up the doorway got the point across just fine.

Wow...these guys were 1/10th of a second away from being killed...quite frankly, I would have done the same thing as you. Not sure if I would have shouted a warning unless it was "wrong apartment!"..after that, aim for the center of the door.

Now--I have to ask--why wasn't the door deadbolted? or chained??

What is immediately across the hallway from your door? Another door or wall?? If they came in the doorway (all of the way), I probably would have shot center of mass (hopefully, they (BGs) would be accomodating and be stacked in the doorway and fall over the 1st guy).

yes, my door in my apartment is always locked, even though its a secure building, you have to call for someone to let you in, there can still be intruders, by having someone ring you up or wait for someone to go into the building, you should get one of those camera set ups, so you can alway see who's at your door, that way if you hear a noise you can check out who it is, see if you should be worried or not.

Glad the light scared them off. You did good, just lock your door.

well my door is usually locked, however my caretaker had not locked it upon leaving, and I didn't check. At the angle I'm at, rounds would probably be going into an adjacent apartment. Definatly don't want to miss.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

I think you did well.

Just make sure to check that the door is locked from now on. Good job staying alert by the way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good thing you were still awake. It would suck to wake up with BG's standing there with your gun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think you did well.

Just make sure to check that the door is locked from now on. Good job staying alert by the way.
    ++1

With a little effort, you can install one of those door "bars" that wedges into a heavy-duty bracket on the door and in the floor. You know, sort of like wedging a chair under the door handle ... that style of bar. If well-anchored to the door and floor, that type of device can make the door much harder (and noisier) to open. A motion-activated light at the front door can help put things in the right light, for the would-be perp, as can an activated signal/buzzer that indicates when the outside light has been activated. If you're as immobile as you say, those steps could make all the difference.

Kudos on your actions. I hope I would have been able to do as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrk07 View Post
    At the angle I'm at, rounds would probably be going into an adjacent apartment. Definatly don't want to miss.
    "If you're going to shoot, don't miss.

If you're going to miss, don't shoot."

Bravo for not taking the shots.

-B

Links