Do we need more than a sidearm?

This is a discussion on Do we need more than a sidearm? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking your paranoid is pretty subjective. There are areas here in Oregon I don't go out to without a long gun in the truck. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we need more than a sidearm?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Thinking your paranoid is pretty subjective. There are areas here in Oregon I don't go out to without a long gun in the truck. I have thought about designing and installing a truck safe not just for regular carrying of a long gun, but it would also be nice for when I am traveling to hunting destinations.

F450 Cowboy and I once talked about it. I am waiting until I purchase a crew cab before I design it. The Sherrif's dept. I used to be with had some for their suv's to secure class 3 and specialty weapons/munitions. They were pretty nice.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

2. Remove Ads

I live in a pretty big city and I keep an old 12g defensive shottie in my trunk. It is an inch above the legal length. I can think of many different scenarios in which it would help save the day. I was always told to pack the biggest gun I could carry comfortably. I would rather have a shotgun than my pistol if I had to defend my family. My first instinct is to run but there are situations where this is not an option. With multiple attackers, say-driving into a robbery scene and being blocked in, or being chased by a few drunk lunatics,(it happens) it would be my best chance. I keep the trunk locked separately from the interior. I have practiced getting it into action and it is not the fastest, but I alway have a pistol on me anyway. To stay legal(here in Texas)the shells are on a shot shell holder on the stock and not actually in the firearm. This gun is in perfect working condition, but is pretty beat up looking. If my car was stolen or broken into it would be no big loss. However, I do not keep 500 extra shells with me. Maybe I should...zombies...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Lightbulb Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    But remember:

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you."
    Actually the real question shouldn't be whether or not you're paranoid. The real question should be: Are you paranoid...ENOUGH?

My ultimate dream machine is what I term my SHTF/Katrina Van! Nickname: The War Wagon! God willing we'll be able to get one before or just as we retire in a few years and keep everything we need to survive inside. Not long term, just long enough to reach some semblance of safety -- a predesignated spot. This thing's a diesel and has the capability of a Humvee military version with more storage and comfort plus about a 1200 mile range on the optional larger tank plus the four 5 gal Jerry cans on the rear. It ain't cheap, but I've got a big piggybank.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I know on normal days I don't need a rifle. On normal days I don't need a pistol either, but I don't carry for Normal days I carry for the abnormal ones. Maybe a scoped Fn with 100 rounds of 308. is a little extream, maybe not, I don't know. I do know I would rather have than not, if there is a natural or man made disaster and I am trying to get home to my family. Plus I'm a new dad and range time is very scarce right now so best to be ready for some fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Actually the real question shouldn't be whether or not you're paranoid. The real question should be: Are you paranoid...ENOUGH?

My ultimate dream machine is what I term my SHTF/Katrina Van! Nickname: The War Wagon! God willing we'll be able to get one before or just as we retire in a few years and keep everything we need to survive inside. Not long term, just long enough to reach some semblance of safety -- a predesignated spot. This thing's a diesel and has the capability of a Humvee military version with more storage and comfort plus about a 1200 mile range on the optional larger tank plus the four 5 gal Jerry cans on the rear. It ain't cheap, but I've got a big piggybank.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

For crying out loud ExSoldier... That is Outrageous!

I've gotta have one of those! 1200 mile range eh? Now that's a Bug Out Van!

Heck, with a satellite phone/modem and laptop I can still trade commodities from the middle of the desert. No problems there!

Hopefully in a few more years my investments will allow something that! (was planning on a second house, but that baby has to come first!)
    Now to convince the wife!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I you have money and really want to get away check this out http://www.earthroamer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I you have money and really want to get away check this out http://www.earthroamer.com/
    +1 joleary... Another great option for Bug Out vehicle!

Looking into that one as well!

Thanks
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links