Defensive Carry banner

Do we need more than a sidearm?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
I met a man outside a my place of employment a few years ago. We got to talking guns(what else?) and he showed me an AR 15 with three 30 round mags that he kept in his truck. His thinking was "I don't know where I'm going when I leave the house, but I know I'm comming home." I have started thinking along these lines and am building a long gun safe for my truck. My question is " How many of us take more than a pistol and 20 or 30 rounds with us daily. Is it paranoid to keep a long gun with 100 or so rounds with us every day?

#2 ·
It might be a little paranoid, depending on your situation. If I were going out in the middle of nowhere known for roaming zombie gangs, yeah, I'd take a long gun. But if I am going to Kroger to pick up some ice cream... nah, the Kahr will do just fine.

#3 ·
But remember:

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you." :image035:

#18 ·
Actually...

Actually the real question shouldn't be whether or not you're paranoid. The real question should be: Are you paranoid...ENOUGH?

My ultimate dream machine is what I term my SHTF/Katrina Van! Nickname: The War Wagon! God willing we'll be able to get one before or just as we retire in a few years and keep everything we need to survive inside. Not long term, just long enough to reach some semblance of safety -- a predesignated spot. This thing's a diesel and has the capability of a Humvee military version with more storage and comfort plus about a 1200 mile range on the optional larger tank plus the four 5 gal Jerry cans on the rear. It ain't cheap, but I've got a big piggybank.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

#4 ·
Depending upon surroundings, a rifle or carbine might not be a bad idea.

I don't carry a rifle/carbine or shotgun when I leave the house, and I certainly don't carry more than 20 rounds on a "normal" basis (I don't count work). Usually it is just me and my 1911 with one reload.

#5 ·
Things happen. Given that home invasions happen, it's smart and a sign of preparedness to have a pistol nearby, and a shotty in the "safe" room. Given that being accosted on the street occurs, it's smart to carry a pistol. Given that assaults in "the wilds" occur, it can be smart to carry a suitable long-gun protection when traveling there. If out and about frequently in a variety of circumstances, distances from home, risk areas ... likewise, it can be wise to be similarly prepared. Paranoid? Only the unprepared think so, in my book.

If your circumstances and "travel" patterns justify a greater range of situations needing preparedness, then by all means prepare for them.

For me, I go armed daily with a pistol, sometimes a carbine or shorty heavy-cal short-rifle in the car. In the field, it has often been a carbine rifle and heavy-cal pistol on the hip.

#6 ·
Michigan law doesn't allow for the "car gun," although it'd be the rare occasion (until TEOFTWAWKI) that I can imagine wanting one. Maybe the opinion differs more between city dwellers such as myself and those in more rural places.

#7 ·
Where does it say MI residents cannot have rifles in their vehicles? They must be unloaded and cased. With the large areas of wood and not much else in my locale, carrying a rifle in the truck makes sense.

#10 ·
I have an SKS as my SHTF and HD weapon. Many of my friends give me a 'huh?' look when I tell them that, but they are loyal AR-15 guys. Then I tell them how cheap ammo is, how much I paid for the rifle, and how accurate I can be with it and they understand :)

Anyway, I have always thought of buying another $150 SKS and putting the collapsible polymer stock on it and making it my truck gun. I would lock it in a safe of sorts in the extended cab. I am concerned about the truck being stolen, but it's really not the nicest looking vehicle.

I have always cringed at the thought of some psycho going on a shooting spree in a traffic jam with some kind of rifle. I would be helpless with my little pistol, and with my 1 year old daughter I wouldn't be able to evade effectively.

As you can tell I have thought about this type of setup as well, so thanks for posting the question.

#13 ·
I feel OK with 25 45 ACP rounds, and 8 .380. If I lived in a rural area I might feel different. By the time an urban threat presents itself I don't think a AR in the car would be of much use....unless there's a sniper engaging targets like in DC...hummmm...I might have just changed my own mind.

#15 ·
I often carried a rifle locked in the trunk when I lived in a rural area. Now that I'm living in a town, I haven't done that in years but I have thought about it occasionally since I do have an SKS with folding stock I could keep in the car.

I just worry about having car stolen so I haven't done that since living in the country.

#16 ·
Thinking your paranoid is pretty subjective. There are areas here in Oregon I don't go out to without a long gun in the truck. I have thought about designing and installing a truck safe not just for regular carrying of a long gun, but it would also be nice for when I am traveling to hunting destinations.

F450 Cowboy and I once talked about it. I am waiting until I purchase a crew cab before I design it. The Sherrif's dept. I used to be with had some for their suv's to secure class 3 and specialty weapons/munitions. They were pretty nice.

#17 ·
I live in a pretty big city and I keep an old 12g defensive shottie in my trunk. It is an inch above the legal length. I can think of many different scenarios in which it would help save the day. I was always told to pack the biggest gun I could carry comfortably. I would rather have a shotgun than my pistol if I had to defend my family. My first instinct is to run but there are situations where this is not an option. With multiple attackers, say-driving into a robbery scene and being blocked in, or being chased by a few drunk lunatics,(it happens) it would be my best chance. I keep the trunk locked separately from the interior. I have practiced getting it into action and it is not the fastest, but I alway have a pistol on me anyway. To stay legal(here in Texas)the shells are on a shot shell holder on the stock and not actually in the firearm. This gun is in perfect working condition, but is pretty beat up looking. If my car was stolen or broken into it would be no big loss. However, I do not keep 500 extra shells with me. Maybe I should...zombies...

#19 ·
I know on normal days I don't need a rifle. On normal days I don't need a pistol either, but I don't carry for Normal days I carry for the abnormal ones. Maybe a scoped Fn with 100 rounds of 308. is a little extream, maybe not, I don't know. I do know I would rather have than not, if there is a natural or man made disaster and I am trying to get home to my family. Plus I'm a new dad and range time is very scarce right now so best to be ready for some fun too.

#22 ·
+1 joleary... Another great option for Bug Out vehicle! :hand10:

Looking into that one as well!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.