Do we need more than a sidearm?

This is a discussion on Do we need more than a sidearm? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I met a man outside a my place of employment a few years ago. We got to talking guns(what else?) and he showed me an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we need more than a sidearm?

Do we need more than a sidearm?

I met a man outside a my place of employment a few years ago. We got to talking guns(what else?) and he showed me an AR 15 with three 30 round mags that he kept in his truck. His thinking was "I don't know where I'm going when I leave the house, but I know I'm comming home." I have started thinking along these lines and am building a long gun safe for my truck. My question is " How many of us take more than a pistol and 20 or 30 rounds with us daily. Is it paranoid to keep a long gun with 100 or so rounds with us every day?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It might be a little paranoid, depending on your situation. If I were going out in the middle of nowhere known for roaming zombie gangs, yeah, I'd take a long gun. But if I am going to Kroger to pick up some ice cream... nah, the Kahr will do just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    But remember:

"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you."

Depending upon surroundings, a rifle or carbine might not be a bad idea.

I don't carry a rifle/carbine or shotgun when I leave the house, and I certainly don't carry more than 20 rounds on a "normal" basis (I don't count work). Usually it is just me and my 1911 with one reload.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Things happen. Given that home invasions happen, it's smart and a sign of preparedness to have a pistol nearby, and a shotty in the "safe" room. Given that being accosted on the street occurs, it's smart to carry a pistol. Given that assaults in "the wilds" occur, it can be smart to carry a suitable long-gun protection when traveling there. If out and about frequently in a variety of circumstances, distances from home, risk areas ... likewise, it can be wise to be similarly prepared. Paranoid? Only the unprepared think so, in my book.

If your circumstances and "travel" patterns justify a greater range of situations needing preparedness, then by all means prepare for them.

For me, I go armed daily with a pistol, sometimes a carbine or shorty heavy-cal short-rifle in the car. In the field, it has often been a carbine rifle and heavy-cal pistol on the hip.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Michigan law doesn't allow for the "car gun," although it'd be the rare occasion (until TEOFTWAWKI) that I can imagine wanting one. Maybe the opinion differs more between city dwellers such as myself and those in more rural places.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Michigan law doesn't allow for the "car gun," although it'd be the rare occasion (until TEOFTWAWKI) that I can imagine wanting one. Maybe the opinion differs more between city dwellers such as myself and those in more rural places.
    Where does it say MI residents cannot have rifles in their vehicles? They must be unloaded and cased. With the large areas of wood and not much else in my locale, carrying a rifle in the truck makes sense.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Here it would be an issue of concealed since concealed long guns are not included in the concealed permit. A properly stowed unloaded long gun might be a good idea.

I don't take a long gun with me but there is a 31 round magazine that I keep in the car. Usually for the range, but why not have it handy.

I have an SKS as my SHTF and HD weapon. Many of my friends give me a 'huh?' look when I tell them that, but they are loyal AR-15 guys. Then I tell them how cheap ammo is, how much I paid for the rifle, and how accurate I can be with it and they understand :)

Anyway, I have always thought of buying another $150 SKS and putting the collapsible polymer stock on it and making it my truck gun. I would lock it in a safe of sorts in the extended cab. I am concerned about the truck being stolen, but it's really not the nicest looking vehicle.

I have always cringed at the thought of some psycho going on a shooting spree in a traffic jam with some kind of rifle. I would be helpless with my little pistol, and with my 1 year old daughter I wouldn't be able to evade effectively.

As you can tell I have thought about this type of setup as well, so thanks for posting the question.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Never a long gun in the vehicle, only what the wife and I are CCW'ing...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Where does it say MI residents cannot have rifles in their vehicles? They must be unloaded and cased. With the large areas of wood and not much else in my locale, carrying a rifle in the truck makes sense.
    It appears I may be mistaken. I was sure that I've read that the transport of a unloaded, cased, rifle or shotgun was legal as long as it was for a legal purpose. I further recall finding the definition of "legal purpose" somewhere else and it basically included hunting, to the range, gunshop, home. I was left with the impression that to keep one bouncing around in the trunk was not ok (I remember looking because I was just going to keep a .22/.410 combo in the truck in case I ever felt like going hunting after work or whatever, I decided against it because of my understanding). I just scoured the MSP Firearms book and cannot support my earlier statement. **Disclaimer to all: I am clearly not the one provide legal advice for or against this topic, so i am giving you niether a red or green light. I'll have to dig deeper before I toss a rifle in my trunk.

I can see where a rifle would be prudent (as part of an emergency kit) in the real sticks.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I feel OK with 25 45 ACP rounds, and 8 .380. If I lived in a rural area I might feel different. By the time an urban threat presents itself I don't think a AR in the car would be of much use....unless there's a sniper engaging targets like in DC...hummmm...I might have just changed my own mind.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I have a scoped SKS with a few magazines of ammo hidden in my SUV.

It is better to have it and not need it... words to live by.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

I often carried a rifle locked in the trunk when I lived in a rural area. Now that I'm living in a town, I haven't done that in years but I have thought about it occasionally since I do have an SKS with folding stock I could keep in the car.

I just worry about having car stolen so I haven't done that since living in the country.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links