Response to confrontation - Page 3

Response to confrontation

This is a discussion on Response to confrontation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BimmerJon Well, I see two mistakes.. One.. if youre being followed.. DONT go home.. go somewhere well lit up and public and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Response to confrontation

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Well, I see two mistakes..

One.. if youre being followed.. DONT go home.. go somewhere well lit up and public and maybe call 911. You dont want a BG to know where you live...
    Bingo!

Even being unsure if a person is following too closely or in any way gains your attention and follows you for a distance long enough that you keep looking back on them...then that is a sign to think hey who is this and what is going on.
    Do not go home.

Go to your local and closest police/sherriff/state police barracks or an active firehouse. Do not try to out run or ditch the person or worst stop in hopes to confront the person or press them into a confrontation. Obey all traffic safety and road laws, whilst going directly to any one of the above safe places.
    Do not go home!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

how bout a hideaway compartment under the seat stuffed with an mp-5 and a couple of mags?
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

I was followed by a car up a two lane road one night. he was tailgating weaving, and trying to pass me. I slowed to let him pass and to get a plate number to call into 911. he slowed and tucked in behind me again. I went up the main street in town to get away from him and he ducked down a side street parallel to mine but I had to turn down a street to the street he was on. As I stopped at the intersection to let him have right of way, he screehced to a stop sideways in the road. I immediately speed dialed 911, and left it on speaker phone. The driver exited the vehicle, a small black sports car, and began cursing at me with what appeared to be a black pipe in his hand. I was standing in the doorway of my 4wd pickup truck (behind cover) and was yelling very loudly so the 911 dispatcher could hear, "Sir, drop the weapon and get back into your car and leave, I do not want any trouble and you are blocking my route to travel to to my friend's house. I am armed and will defend myself if you advance further. The guy's g/f was yelling "Terry get back in the car, he has a gun." I never showed my weapon at any time. He did get back in his car and screech off. State Police later showed up after I got on the line and advised my location. After a BOLO was put out with a description and plate number of the car, the guy was picked up later that night on DUI and possession of cocaine. I agree with previous poster do what you can within reason but when the other ups the ante, ie turning off the headlights, it is better act and explain later than react and regret. The one positive with a bike or scooter is the ability to dismount rather quickly, and find some better cover if possible. That is definitely a hair raising experience.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wanted to add-in on what BimmerJon and Janq said. A true LEO is going to decide where to pull you over in advance and will "pick" a well-lit place to pull you over with plenty of room on the side of the road before putting on their lights unless you're doing something really obvious and stupid.

Be careful about fire stations. As Janq said, it should be an active fire station. 73% of the nation has volunteer fire departments where people are not there 24/7. If you go home they will know where you live and many criminals follow you home exactly for that purpose and come back at a later time to do the crime.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    A true LEO is going to decide where to pull you over in advance and will "pick" a well-lit place to pull you over with plenty of room on the side ...
    I've had two instances of exactly the opposite. Both years ago. One got fairly angry as I waited until the first safe spot and didn't appreciate any of the clear logic that it was being done for our mutual benefit. Sad to say, the ideal isn't always followed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've had two instances of exactly the opposite. Both years ago. One got fairly angry as I waited until the first safe spot and didn't appreciate any of the clear logic that it was being done for our mutual benefit. Sad to say, the ideal isn't always followed.
    Very true. Not all of them do, but most at least try to. Should've said that from the beginning. lol

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member

dahenrymd scooter hair raising ride

If I was you and road the scooter on a regular bases if possible at my drive-way I would build a small "escape" hole beside the locked gate. Something narrow enough that you scooter could pass, but not a car. I don't know the layout of your spread, but it could be something as simple as 2 large posts about 3 foot apart to one side of the gate. If you found your self in a similar situation it would give you quite an advantage to get inside your home if needed. Other plus is if you are in your home and they want to come in and "play" well While you are getting a lot of advice about not going home, and it probably is the best advice I know I'm heading for the house, because whats in there they don't want any part of....

SleepingZ

Why Did You Have To Say This?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Whups, SORRY. I certainly didn't intend my posts to suggest that I was "calling you out." I'm probably guilty of some projection because I do have to go back to work soon with those very same punks and criminals. I teach psychology, too. So I do apologize if I was getting confrontational. I do concede that this need not result in a bunker mentality...just some normal precautions. Okay?
    I was doing just fine until you reminded me that I'll ALSO be back in the classroom in two more weeks...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wink My Heart Bleeds For you...jk

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I was doing just fine until you reminded me that I'll ALSO be back in the classroom in two more weeks...

'Cause I go back TOMORROW. Kids return on the 20th though. Still I'm not exactly looking forward to the "teacher stuff" that has to be done, first.

YOU'VE Still got TWO weeks!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Well, I see two mistakes..

One.. if youre being followed.. DONT go home.. go somewhere well lit up and public and maybe call 911. You dont want a BG to know where you live... And throwing your wallet has the same effect (DL with home address)
    Indeed.

If you know you are being followed, NEVER take them to your house.

I've been there. I go to great lengths to confirm my tail, then, if I can, I call the police. If I can't, I will head to the nearest populated place, or, better yet, the police station, and, run in. If they're WAY too aggressive, I might forget about some of the rules of the road, like speed limits, stop signs, and, red lights. If I'm that sure that I have a tail (particularly if I've taken action to confirm it), I'll be happy to get the attn from the PD.

Either way, glad you came out OK!
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

VIP Member
    Just a random thought on this scenario... a cellular headset with voice dial would be easier to use on a scooter and less obvious to the BG(s). I like the Jabra BT500v!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links