You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo - Page 3

You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

This is a discussion on You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911 on the nightstand, extra magazines handy. 870 with #1 buckshot very handy, What I may choose would depend on the B/E technique of the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

VIP Member
    1911 on the nightstand, extra magazines handy. 870 with #1 buckshot very handy,
    What I may choose would depend on the B/E technique of the BG's. I wake to the sound
    of the ice maker in the refrigerator dropping ice, and have a back-lit "corridor" to my bedroom.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Senior Moderator
    One person is dead, another injured and a third person missing after a home invasion in Cleveland early Monday.
    Good results nonetheless.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

"Hillary, a woman without ethics, is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Rock and Glock

My hope is to defend my home while firing zero shots. The closer I end up to that goal, the better. If your 6 shooter and my 30 round mag are both full when the bg is apprehended, and all of our loved ones are safe, it's a win.

But if someone wants to force the issue... That is why I switched from a shotgun to a carbine. Being I cannot predict an intruder's tenacity or dedication, a 30 round magazine can sustain fire much longer. One carbine reload = 9 revolver reloads.
    9MMare and Phaedrus like this.
    Psalm 144:1

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There are only very few states where this is a real concern, and they have always been screwed.
    And with the SCOTUS set up now for conservative appointments, and a new POTUS vowing to defend the 2nd, it is clear that the tide has shifted for the foreseeable future for anyone willing at the totality of the current state of affairs.

Not to mention the fact that we have seen that Bloomberg's money can't turn the tide; especially if Hillary's couldn't.
    WA St has been very gun-friendly in the past however it is very vulnerable to this stuff. There is huge $$ behind such measures when proposed now, some go almost unopposed because Bill Gates name and $ is featured prominently in the ads. It's a given that there is not enough $ to fight them if they get behind something. So currently we are seeing a gradual introduction of 'small stuff!' into law and passing without challenge (ok, only 2 so far but I dont see it stopping).

The state is almost equally red and blue but the money is blue.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

So the article said "Home invasion crews numbering 3-5 or even more suspects are relatively common..." While that may sound accurate to us gun folks, is the acceptance of this stat a case of confirmation bias? How many home invasions with 4 or 5 attackers actually happen? Are there any reliable figures on this, or is it speculation?
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    So the article said "Home invasion crews numbering 3-5 or even more suspects are relatively common..." While that may sound accurate to us gun folks, is the acceptance of this stat a case of confirmation bias? How many home invasions with 4 or 5 attackers actually happen? Are there any reliable figures on this, or is it speculation?
    Bob Owens is one of my least favorite gunwriters for a number of reasons. Unqualified and unquantified assertions, loaded language and a fair amount of confirmation bias in his work are hard to overlook. That said, you can never have too much ammo, unless you are drowning or on fire.
    graydude, AzQkr and Phaedrus like this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

If you need a 30rd. mag for home defense, you need a real-estate agent not more ammo

Quote Originally Posted by con42 View Post
    If you need a 30rd. mag for home defense, you need a real-estate agent not more ammo
    In general I concur; if possible to do so, the best defense is not living in crime ridden areas. Unfortunately, though, there are a lot of good people who can't move for various reasons.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by con42 View Post
    My home defense gun came with thirty round mags.
    AzQkr, Bad Bob and Phaedrus like this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Distinguished Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I feel fine with my 5 shot 44 magnum and a few speedloaders, but I am a little better trained than a "moderately trained officer".

Riddle me this Batman;

New technology bullets are far superior to old technology bullets yet it is still taking 7-8 shots per.

Does anyone else think that maybe new bullets are not that much better than older bullets?
    I think the new bullets are better than the old bullets but the new shooters are just like many of the old ones and the new bullets don't make up for it very often.

The best aspect of modern ammo is less likelihood of over penetration.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    "We all have to work out our own salvation" -- Jim Higginbotham

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I think the new bullets are better than the old bullets but the new shooters are just like many of the old ones and the new bullets don't make up for it very often.

The best aspect of modern ammo is less likelihood of over penetration.
    There was not much OP with +P+ or +P 9mm. About the only thing that OP'd people consistently with old tech was 230 grain 45 ACP FMJ, and 158 grain 357 mag in commonly used calibers.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

There was not much OP with +P+ or +P 9mm. About the only thing that OP'd people consistently with old tech was 230 grain 45 ACP FMJ, and 158 grain 357 mag in commonly used calibers.
    NYPD had a lot of OP with 9mm FMJ IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    NYPD had a lot of OP with 9mm FMJ IIRC.
    I did not realize that any PD used FMJ.... NYPD is not one I follow, they may be big but they do stuff more based on politics than best practices.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

I did not realize that any PD used FMJ.... NYPD is not one I follow, they may be big but they do stuff more based on politics than best practices.
    They use 124+P Gold Dot now, unless they changed recently, but they started out with FMJ in their G19's and had issues with OP. NYPD has never really been what you would call "cutting edge."
    Bad Bob likes this.

try living here in the people republic of kalifourna. and our permitted nurtured guns with 10 or less rounds in them.
    yes i keep extra mags at hand all the time. rifles must be fixed mags or have no scary things bolted to them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links