You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

This is a discussion on You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless you are drowning or on fire... Multiple-assailant scenarios are all too real: Cleveland Home Invasion Shows Need For High Capacity Magazines...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: You Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

VIP Member

Unless you are drowning or on fire...

Multiple-assailant scenarios are all too real:

Cleveland Home Invasion Shows Need For High Capacity Magazines
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Distinguished Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    Good article. Thanks.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

"To you who call yourselves 'men of peace,' I say, you are not safe without men of action by your side." Thucydides

I agree that more capacity is never a bad thing.

But, being one who is the eternal skeptic, I have to question the timing of this story.

What I mean, is that with the AR 15 and high cap mags now safe from legislation, and a probable backlog of guns made in anticipation of a hostile administration, this news story kind of sounds like an infomercial to help unload all of these rifles.

Anyway, I don't disagree with the synopsis of the article, but this is actually been happening for some time now.
    Mike1956, Ianthin, Fizban and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Good article.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Lets look this simply.. "Bandits" have been attacking people for hundreds of years and the concept of 3-4 or 5 people attacking someone is not a phenomenon. I agree that it [can] take numerous shots to stop an individual attacker and then again, a less determined attacker may change his channels with the first shot. Any determination as to what is likely needed to defend your home depends on a whole lot of issues. Issues that can change substantially from place to place, person to person or country to country. Generally speaking, most people are not trying to downgrade their capabilities but weapon selection is often times a compromise between convenience, practicality and cost. If defending your home is the main priority, most people don't mind the size and weight of a HD gun which is not normally carried. In those instances, I could understand a desire for a suitable caliber weapon with high capacity. If your HD gun is your CC gun, that's where the compromise begins to enter the picture for a lot of people. I am not one who will take a handful of examples and call it the "norm". Might I need 30 rounds to defend my home from a gaggle of armed criminals?.. perhaps. Does that mean I am doomed to failure if all I have is a 6 shot 44 special? Nope. It just means that errors and mistakes will be less forgiving, it doesn't mean that my defenses are less capable. I am willing the gamble that I am more resolute in my desire to survive as compared to how resolute a gaggle of thugs are- to rob me. The article was well written and thoughtful but I am not the least bit worried about relying on a big bore revolver, 20ga shotgun and 2 female Dobermans. If badguys want to kick in my door, its gonna be one heck of a loud party.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I agree that more capacity is never a bad thing.

But, being one who is the eternal skeptic, I have to question the timing of this story.

What I mean, is that with the AR 15 and high cap mags now safe from legislation, and a probable backlog of guns made in anticipation of a hostile administration, this news story kind of sounds like an infomercial to help unload all of these rifles.

Anyway, I don't disagree with the synopsis of the article, but this is actually been happening for some time now.
    Yup, now that at least a glimmer of relief from the last eight years has resulted in a collective sigh of relief, the gun-rights groups and the industry need a new bogeyman upon which to keep their relevance front and center.

Ed Koch

Good read thanks. In the end the article really shows the need for a good home defense plan by what ever means the occupant deems necessary. What ever they use for a firearm, they must be well trained with it and have confidence when the adrenaline is pumping they can put hits on their desired target. Training and planning go along way, including a plan to secure your home against these types of situations.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

NRA Member
    NRA Certified RSO, Pistol, Shotgun & Rifle Instructor

My only comment is..."Cleveland". Threat assessment changes with location and Cleveland would be on at least my two gun list.
    RebelSoul and oneshot like this.
    "I do not carry a gun so I can impose my will on someone else, I carry a gun so someone else cannot impose their will on me."
    Lynn Givens

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yup, now that at least a glimmer of relief from the last eight years has resulted in a collective sigh of relief, the gun-rights groups and the industry need a new bogeyman upon which to keep their relevance front and center.
    The right is no more on our side than the left. It would be silly for anyone to let their guard down now, although many people will.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yep, you get my thoughts.
    The bogeyman is a great way of putting it. They are probably looking beyond the Christmas holiday, at the surplus of guns they have and no crisis to move them.

So, conjuring up another crisis is the solution.

First it was a Hi cap pistol is needed for defense, now that just ain't good enough.

Connect the dots, follow the money.....
    Phaedrus likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Sponsor
    Owens isn't one of my favorite authors to begin with.
    molleur likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    My only comment is..."Cleveland". Threat assessment changes with location and Cleveland would be on at least my two gun list.
    Just to be clear, this was in Cleveland TN, not the mistake by the lake.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Owens isn't one of my favorite authors to begin with.
    Oops, I didn't notice the by-line. Not one of mine, either.
    AzQkr likes this.

Ed Koch

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Yeah...it's crazy here. You best HD weapon is a handgun to allow you to get to your 12ga.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Just to be clear, this was in Cleveland TN, not the mistake by the lake.
    Yeah you have to screen through all of the home invasions here to figure that out as we have so many up here you need a program to figure out who the players are.

home invasions News, Images, Videos, Classifieds & More - cleveland.com
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links