Close call? in Richmond this past week.

This is a discussion on Close call? in Richmond this past week. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was up in central VA this past week hanging out with some good friends before we all headed back to college. Well one night ...

Thread: Close call? in Richmond this past week.

Close call? in Richmond this past week.

I was up in central VA this past week hanging out with some good friends before we all headed back to college. Well one night (I forget which night exactly) we had run out of things to do for cheap, then one of my friends mentioned going to see a $2 movie at the Byrd (an old movie theater in Richmond). I am not a fan of Richmond at night, but the theater is in one of the nicest parts of the city so I figured it would be okay.

Well the person driving messed up and accidentally parked in a parking garage 3 blocks from the theater instead of the garage right next to the theater. Long story short we were late for the movie and none of us had cash, they didn't take cards, and the nearest atm was 3 blocks back next to the parking garage. We decided to forget the movie and go get coffee. On the way back I notice a shady character across the street as well as another shady character on a bike that was riding up and down the street.

I went to !ALERT! when I realized this 300lbs thug gentlemen across the street watching us as we walked. My gf and our 2 friends were oblivious to all of this Then I went to HIGH ALERT when he started across the street towards us. My hand instantly went into my pocket and my instincts are yelling something is seriously wrong with this picture. At this point we aren't really in the well traffic-ed part of the street--we are on the "quieter" end. I placed myself between my gf and the guy walking up.

I made sure he knew I was watching everything he did as he walked up. As he got within 10ft he smiled at me and produce an index card with something scribbled on it. This is where I made a HUGE tactical mistake--something that goes against all of my training... He handed me the card and with my left hand I took it (naturaly reaction i guess). My right hand was still tightly gripped to my 642 in my front pocket. I knew what the card said without even reading it--something about being "deaf" and needing money. I sort of flicked the card back at him and kept walking (we were walking forward the whole time).

The card fell on the ground and my friend decided to be nice and pick it up for him and hand it back. As I watched this I noticed the shady character on the bike about a mile back on our side of the street riding on the sidewalk straight for us. My adrenalin was already pumping a little bit as I realized what a stupid move taking that card was and how sketchy the whole situation was.

We kept walking and I purposefully kept turning around and making eye contact with the guy on the bike that was approaching from behind. I geuss this scared him a little bit and he picked up the pace to pass. We let him, but he started to slow back down when he got a bout 100 feet ahead of us.

We "accidentally" miss our turn to the parking garage. (It was not an accident. My friends were just oblivous to all around them and I didn't want this guy behind us as we headed down a poor lit section to the parking garage so I purposefully 'missed' the turn.) As soon as the guy was ahead of us enough I made an immediate right turn across an empty parking lot to get back to the parking garage and I double timed it back to the garage--which forced my friends to speed up to...though they had no clue why "why are you walking so fast!?"

As we were getting in the car (I am still on high alert) I notice the guy on the bike had turned around and was now looking around the parking lot that we had crossed over...

My instincts are seldom wrong and they were going "SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE" the entire time. I have a feeling we were targeted the other night. The sad thing is that my gf and friends were oblivious to the entire situation...and I know my gf comes up to Richmond a couple times a month to go shopping/eating.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It sounds like it was a close call. In order to increase the awareness of your companions, did you have a good "debriefing" and discussion with them about your close call experience?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Not really. I needed to decompress and having them being jovial(oblivious) and whatnot helped me decompress.

Looks like you did good. Avoidance is usually the better option. I screwed up last week in NoVA myself and engaged rather than avoided. Caught me at a slow moment I guess. Sounds like you did much better. Don't forget to explain to your friends why you "missed" the turn.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    .....movie at the Byrd (an old movie theater in Richmond). I am not a fan of Richmond at night, but the theater is in one of the nicest parts of the city so I figured it would be okay.
    That is NOT one of the nicest spots in town, it may not be the worst, but it is not good!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Kavity---There is nothing wrong with avoinding another human being by turning around and going the other way, or telling the other person to stop advancing. If you haven't read "In the Gravest Extreme"-Mas Ayoob, you should consider going over the chapter again about avoidence. In that Mas talks about stopping and going the other way or crossing to the other side of the street, or Flat out using a couple of bucks to toss to the guy weighted down using a match book. I know alot of people have this nature of "I don't want to give the guy money!" I agree with you 100%, but thats where the going the other way comes into play. If that fails the $1 you throw to him to make him to go away is piddly compared to 1000's of dollars you have to spend on a lawyer, and the possible civil case
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    At least you were aware of it and were prepared. Nobody had anything bad happen to them, so I mark that as handling it accceptably.

I would definitely explain what you saw happening to your friends. It might open their eyes a little bit.

Links