Disengaged because of Carrying? - Page 2

Disengaged because of Carrying?

This is a discussion on Disengaged because of Carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would rip open my shirt revealing the large "S" on my undershirt and plant myself squarely between the two combatants, effectively stopping the escalating ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disengaged because of Carrying?

I would rip open my shirt revealing the large "S" on my undershirt and plant myself squarely between the two combatants, effectively stopping the escalating situation.

As long as no one has Kryptonite, I am fine!

Oops. . . . . . sorry for the Walter Mitty moment.

You did good. A couple of people got mad and yelled at each other. Happens all the time without any escalating violence.

You stepping in to help could have been the catalist for escalating the situation.

As to being less neighborly: having a gun should make you be more thoughtful of your actions, not less neighborly.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

When I see people fighting or road raging over stupid stuff like that I just leave them go at it. It's not worth my time or the safety of my family. I few years back maybe I would have gotten involed, but that was when I was young and dumb.

witness

A shouting match over a fender bender one is not involved in, I feel you were spot on regarding your decision. Might be the time just to be a good witness, besides the entertainment factor.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

IMHO, the steps you took were very appropriate. If two adults can't act like adults, then it is not your responsiblity to try and intervene. If you can't be a witness, then don't be a spectator, just move along and let the LEOs take care of things they are better equipped to handle.
    Last edited by Sonic Misfit; August 2nd, 2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

VIP Member
    Yea,none of your affair...best to move on

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A couple weeks ago an FDNY ambulance stopped at a witnessed crash. The driver exited the vehicle and started shooting at the crew. They had to do a tactical withdrawal AND evacuate a mother and child that were already being transported.

Just 2 days ago my wife (armed) witnessed a woman using her fist to beat on a pre-school aged child. She was so enraged that her elbow was hitting her other pre-school aged child. Saying you won't intervene is OK in principle, but this was too much for her. She yelled at the woman to stop, which she did, along with, (expletive deleted) you just don't know." My wife informed her that, as the mother of 2 children herself, she sure did know, and she was calling 911. Of course the woman left before LEOs arrived, but she did get the plate number. She also followed up with social services to make sure the case didn't get lost. Now waiting for a callback, as I'm sure she'll end up in court. Not sure if I could have been so restrained. She said she was about to snatch the kid out of the car and wait for LEOs. That would have been interesting!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A couple weeks ago an FDNY ambulance stopped at a witnessed crash. The driver exited the vehicle and started shooting at the crew. They had to do a tactical withdrawal AND evacuate a mother and child that were already being transported.

Just 2 days ago my wife (armed) witnessed a woman using her fist to beat on a pre-school aged child. She was so enraged that her elbow was hitting her other pre-school aged child. Saying you won't intervene is OK in principle, but this was too much for her. She yelled at the woman to stop, which she did, along with, (expletive deleted) you just don't know." My wife informed her that, as the mother of 2 children herself, she sure did know, and she was calling 911. Of course the woman left before LEOs arrived, but she did get the plate number. She also followed up with social services to make sure the case didn't get lost. Now waiting for a callback, as I'm sure she'll end up in court. Not sure if I could have been so restrained. She said she was about to snatch the kid out of the car and wait for LEOs. That would have been interesting!
    There's a big difference between a couple adults arguing and someone beating a small child.

Completely different set of factors in deciding whether or not to intervene, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    There's a big difference between a couple adults arguing and someone beating a small child.
    Matt
    Absolutely! I think she was entirely correct to intervene, especially verbally

1) moves center of focus from defenseless one
    "pick on somebody your own size" argument

2) communicates unequivocally that this is intolerable behaviour
    Which may cause the abuser to have second thoughts

being armed at the time, especially when concealed, is no reason to avoid that confrontation ... evenso, I'd stay physically distant

Carrying does not make me less neighborly but it does make me much less likely to either intervene in any argument or to get into one. in fact, my ability to take crap off of any jerk goes up exponentially when I am carrying.

Just not worth the risk just to win a stupid argument.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links