Disengaged because of Carrying?

Disengaged because of Carrying?

This is a discussion on Disengaged because of Carrying? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend my wife and I saw a small accident. Lots of cars in traffic, creeping along, stop-go-stop-go and the car directly in front of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Disengaged because of Carrying?

Last weekend my wife and I saw a small accident. Lots of cars in traffic, creeping along, stop-go-stop-go and the car directly in front of us bumped into the trailer of jet-skis in front of her. No way was anyone hurt, but the skis are dinged. Well, the passenger and driver of the truck that was bumped start yelling at each other, then the passenger (woman) gets out and starts walking back to the bumper car (pun intended) and yelling at her with some language not appropriate for this forum.

There's no place to go, so I see all this develop. I figure there is about to be a fight, but see no weapons and decide to stay out of it. Traffic clears and I can get around the yelling and leave.

I have a gift for talking people down from emotional distresses, so my wife asked me later why I didn't do something; I told her I was carrying and didn't want to inject the presence of a weapon (albeit concealed) into an already heated moment.

So then I got to wondering .. have you ever found yourself avoiding a scene where you might have helped because you were carrying. The question is more broadly stated; does being armed makes us less neighborly?

Assistant Administrator
    No - I don't think more neighborly - just more discrete!

It's true - if we are carrying then I think overall we need to avoid any confrontations if possible. I too have avoided involvement due to carrying - altho I would not rule out involvement 100% ... but for most part yes, I think we stay clear of things like this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep. Too much risk over petty incidents.

Senior Moderator
    The question is more broadly stated; does being armed makes us less neighborly?
    I dont think so.

However, in matters where tempers are flaring, and nasty words are being spoken,being discreet and hanging back would probably be the smart thing to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The question is more broadly stated; does being armed makes us less neighborly?
    Why Heck NO it doesnt , I am neighborly as i can be smiling and polite while i formulate the plan to defend against any aggression .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Well, come on ya'll............neighbors can kill each other too..........LOL...More discrete and more reserved, yes........neighborly.......well, I reserve that for neighbors.

Lead Moderator
    Nope , sounds like you did fine. Getting involved in someone elses road rage isn't good.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I think we all can agree that standing back or just staying out of these situations is for everyones well-being. If the situation is peaceful or becomes peaceful, than maybe we would try to lend a hand.

Awfuly hard to stamp a course of action to this or every situation there could be. Individual instincts and training will establish how "neighborly" you actually become.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

I'd keep out of it, armed or not...time to be 'on your way'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    Here is my rule: I am not a LEO, and I carry to protect my life and the lives of my family, and to prevent any of us from suffering serious physical injury from an assault. I will not inject myself in altercations that are none of my business, except in the most compelling of circumstances. The consequences of making a mistake are too onerous.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    Last weekend my wife and I saw a small accident. Lots of cars in traffic, creeping along, stop-go-stop-go and the car directly in front of us bumped into the trailer of jet-skis in front of her. No way was anyone hurt, but the skis are dinged. Well, the passenger and driver of the truck that was bumped start yelling at each other, then the passenger (woman) gets out and starts walking back to the bumper car (pun intended) and yelling at her with some language not appropriate for this forum.

There's no place to go, so I see all this develop. I figure there is about to be a fight, but see no weapons and decide to stay out of it. Traffic clears and I can get around the yelling and leave.

I have a gift for talking people down from emotional distresses, so my wife asked me later why I didn't do something; I told her I was carrying and didn't want to inject the presence of a weapon (albeit concealed) into an already heated moment.

So then I got to wondering .. have you ever found yourself avoiding a scene where you might have helped because you were carrying. The question is more broadly stated; does being armed makes us less neighborly?
    I think your choice was absolutely correct. The situation is already confrontational. Let's say you intercede, and try to calm things down. For whatever reason, it doesn't work, and the confrontation escalates. Things go from bad to worse, and you end up having to draw your firearm.

Now, you are a participant (a willing one - you inserted yourself into the situation) in an escalating violent situation. You've opened yourself up for a whole load of possible consequences. If you've got a hostile DA you can bet your last nickel (and you will be) that he's going to present you as an armed cowboy who was playing cop because he had a gun.

Call the police, be a good witness, and stay out of other people's conflicts unless there is a very clear deadly threat to an innocent victim.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Gun or no gun my general philosophy on car crashes and the like is this. If I am first on the scene or a primary witness I do what needs doing. I have done this on a few occasions. My rule is I don't talk with anyone about the accident except the LEOs working it.

A fender bender with no injuries, they can sort it out. If they are yelling etc. that isn't my problem until someone involves me in some way. What I do in these cases is move along, nothing to see here. I don't usually look at the scene period I watch for the people working the scene and people out of their cars and that is it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    I think your choice was absolutely correct. The situation is already confrontational. Let's say you intercede, and try to calm things down. For whatever reason, it doesn't work, and the confrontation escalates. Things go from bad to worse, and you end up having to draw your firearm.

Now, you are a participant (a willing one - you inserted yourself into the situation) in an escalating violent situation. You've opened yourself up for a whole load of possible consequences.
    Dead on, Matt!

When I was in Middle School (actually, it was so long ago we had Jr. High School) another guy and I got into a fight over a girl (I know, I know, but we were young and stupid). An adult male came over to break it up.

Guess what happened next?

We started hitting him. Did no damage, but he got in the middle and it turned on him.

I picture the same thing happening if I ever insert myself in the middle of someone else's spat. If I don't have a real good reason to do so, I stay out of someone else's stuff.

YMMV.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Tempers, emotions, heated exchanges.......not a place to introduce a sidearm even if you are neutral to the event. I personally would have to make a judgement call wheather or not to get involved. In your senairo, remaining in the car seemed to be the right choice IMHO.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Circumspect, not disengaged. Rightfully so.

There are biased folks who hate, fear or dislike us merely because we opt to defend ourselves, whether due to taking the law "into our own hands" or having a gun. There is the risk of being disarmed. And there are truly situations that aren't anyone else's problem or worth getting into ... like the "junkyard dog" situation (fight) posted by the OP.

That said, if I can help, it's appropriate and doesn't put my family at risk, I will. But I'll give it a second thought, every time. Yes, being armed has done that. Good thing, to. It goes with the territory.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links