? giving up your gun in an armed robbery. - Page 2

? giving up your gun in an armed robbery.

This is a discussion on ? giving up your gun in an armed robbery. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Confusion is one of your best allies in situations like this. Anything to buy time through distraction such as pointing to the guy three people ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree175Likes

Thread: ? giving up your gun in an armed robbery.

Confusion is one of your best allies in situations like this. Anything to buy time through distraction such as pointing to the guy three people down that they already checked and saying that guy is holding out on you. He has (fill in the blank) valuable hidden. When they look over at him you draw. Fumbling for stuff and acting nervous while accidentally dropping things is another tactic. Whatever you can do to divert attention and buy time/distance.
    oneshot likes this.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    Surrender to a criminal? That should NOT be in ones fighting mindset imho.
    Toolmanbutch likes this.
    GO TRUMP ! HILLARY-PRISON NOT PROMOTION
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QMASTERARMS View Post
    HOKA HEY!!!!

Great OP!

Based on the hostage scenario you posed, without hesitation I would immediately attack with extreme ferocity and violence and in so doing cause such a truly horrific charlie foxtrot for the hostage takers that my family and many others would escape. The hostage takers would rue the day they encountered me. It would make no difference if I were CC a firearm or not. A firearm is irrelevant to my decision in this hostage scenario. I was trained in and to this day practice every day USMC L.I.N.E., which is a form of CQB that if executed properly is extremely effective, as the F.A.S.T. Company Marine who taught me practiced it in Somalia during the battle of Mogadishu where he killed 10 militiamen who came one after another into the second story of the building he was situated, when he ran out of ammo as a scout sniper. I have discussed this exact hostage scenario with my wife and she has pledged to me that her only focus is to escape with our children while I focus on ripping the throats out of the hostage takers up to and beyond my last breath. As the Hagakure the book of the samurai states: "Even if a samurai has his head cut off, he should still be able to do one last thing with certainty". In my view there is no better way to die than while protecting my family.
    FAST team? No such thing in the Old Corps.

I was just a plain old jarhead in my USMC days more than 40 years ago.

That said, I admire your semper fi, do or die attitude. I'd sure like to have one of you guys creating an extreme disturbance if I was ever caught up in a scenario like the OP presented. It'd give me time to take better aim on the perps. Us senior citizens need every edge we can get.
    Just takes one to be the flash bang during a hostage scenario and all trained and ready hard chargers in the room know what to do.
    Texas Red and papavball like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, first here is thank God you are concealed and have the decision to make.

The rest depends on opportunity and situation, a totality of the circumstances.
    Your primary weapon is your mind, and the objective is to survive.
    While I agree in the scenario cited that CC will give you options, it could also be argued that OC may have prevented the scenario from happening to you altogether. It's been reported over & over that robbery suspects will let things slide and wait it out if they see they may come up against armed resistance.

Unless it's a terrorist squad intent on killing all the witnesses, criminals will usually just wait on easier pickin's. It really depends on the intent & plan of the BG and psychologically, most BGs like to surprise their victims so there will be little chance of any resistance.

(OC, being it a LEO or a civilian doesn't fit into the BG's plan in most criminal scenarios. However, CC when done correctly makes you look like a potential "unarmed" victim.)

-

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    As with all things, it depends. Is the guy doing the frisking the one holding the gun, or the one who is going to become my cover?
    That's where I was going with the thought process as well Mike. If he gets to me with frisk in mind, he just becomes my hostage against anyone else firing on me. Frisking, by it's very nature means that party has now entered into my inner circle. His risks increase exponentially the closer he gets, until he's become MY victim. Once you've acted, it's imperative to have the mindset to see it through, and I'm less concerned at that point with innocents than surviving the encounter myself.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    While I agree in the scenario cited that CC will give you options, it could also be argued that OC may have prevented the scenario from happening to you altogether. It's been reported over & over that robbery suspects will let things slide and wait it out if they see they may come up against armed resistance.

Unless it's a terrorist squad intent on killing all the witnesses, criminals will usually just wait on easier pickin's. It really depends on the intent & plan of the BG and psychologically, most BGs like to surprise their victims so there will be little chance of any resistance.

(OC, being it a LEO or a civilian doesn't fit into the BG's plan in most criminal scenarios. However, CC when done correctly makes you look like a potential "unarmed" victim.)

-
    I suppose one could find that to be a valid point, if it weren't true that many banks with armed guards had been robbed.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; December 23rd, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Mike1956 and oneshot like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    As long as I can give it up one bullet (traveling approximately 1k fps) at a time, I'm OK with surrendering my firearm.
    AzQkr and airslot like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm tempted to get tactically verbose here, but I'll say two things which might help. OK three things.

1. I'm no longer a youngster; I'm walking wounded. But I'm still able to fight. I don't like people touching me.

2. Sometimes, if the BGs have not entered shooting, you can do something like turn and start walking away and they may waste time talking to you. While your back is turned it's pretty easy to deploy, but I might just keep walking.

3. I realize I am not immortal, and I am not John Wick. But like the poster in post #9, I would not be responsible for what transpired if I was forced to go into a 'certain mode'.

I am more than just my handgun, but in general I would not give up my tools, or be made to cringe in fear of death.

Great post, OP.
    papavball, TSKnight and oneshot like this.
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.) From the movie with Willis, Malcovich and Mirren

I'm gonna' rock 'em to sleep, with a real rock. Quoting Bob Dylan here - "...'cuz when you've got nothing, ya' got NOTHIN'... to lose".
    jttar likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Are you Kidding? Point to someone else? Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosler Guy View Post
    Confusion is one of your best allies in situations like this. Anything to buy time through distraction such as pointing to the guy three people down that they already checked and saying that guy is holding out on you. He has (fill in the blank) valuable hidden. When they look over at him you draw. Fumbling for stuff and acting nervous while accidentally dropping things is another tactic. Whatever you can do to divert attention and buy time/distance.
    SBD Stealth Baby (Silent But Deadly)

I have Looked and Now I Have Found

Every situation is fluid and different but I feel that usually the best option is decisive explosive action at the earliest opportunity even if you are unarmed and fighting for you life with you bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, first here is thank God you are concealed and have the decision to make.
    exactly right
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I really don't know what I'd do until it would happen! But it would be a good time for the old pull the Pineapple frag gernade out of a pocket, pull the pin and in your BEST CLINT EASTWOOD voice ask " DO YOU FEEL LUCKY PUNK, WELL DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are just some things I am not going to do.. period.

I am not going to allow my gun to fall into the hands of a violent criminal without a fight and I will not allow a criminal to move me, transport me or isolate me. Even against the drop, I will not allow these things. If a guy has a gun on me and wants my wallet, Ill give it to him but if he is not instantly making efforts to flee, the fight will probably be on. I'm not going to stand around and allow someone the freedom to simply decide if they are going to harm me and when. I will take the initiative in such circumstances and I will manifest all the grizzly bear that is humanly possible.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I know what Jack Reacher would do! Welcome the opportunity!
    If there was any chance of of harm coming to my wife...different scenario.
    If it were just me & had guns pointed at me.....they can have everything & I will help carry it to their car.
    If I get the chance... they would only see assh&% & heels. (although at my age it would appear to be in slow motion)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links