Indiana....Unmarked ISP cars VS fake cop? - Page 2

Indiana....Unmarked ISP cars VS fake cop?

This is a discussion on Indiana....Unmarked ISP cars VS fake cop? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by semperfi.45 Drivers have marked car "radar" while no one thinks the unmarked Dodge Charger is a cop. I knew there was a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Drivers have marked car "radar" while no one thinks the unmarked Dodge Charger is a cop.
    I knew there was a reason why I look suspiciously at any Magnum, Charger or Corvette like I do with CVPI's.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    I knew there was a reason why I look suspiciously at any Magnum, Charger or Corvette like I do with CVPI's.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Every time I go to the range I pass a light purple unmarked charger who always has a car pulled over. I see the purple charger, think nothing, then remember.

Quote Originally Posted by 22RSSIX View Post
    Thanks guys,

Jhoff, I think your wrong about telling the officer you have a cpl. I don't have my permit infront of me right now. But I think it says right on the permit that you must inform the officer that you have the permit.
    I've got my permit in front of me and no where on the permit does it say I have to by law infrom a LEO that I have a CCL or a CCW. I can't get packing.org to open or I'd link to the Indiana gun laws page and on there I believe it's stated as well that Hoosiers have no obligation to inform a LEO.
    "I play for keeps."

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Here in Wabash we have an unmarked that does make stops.

The officer is uniformed, and there are blues and reds in the window if anyone has any doubts.

It's a maroon colored Crown Vic. I knew the trooper who drove it, then he was shot by a runaway Michigan kid who had stolen his dad's car.

Best policy I've found: Know your local police, and treat them like humans. It usually throws them for a moment, but once they realize that you don't view it as an "us vs them" deal, they drop the formality.

As well, in Wabash, a CCW permit is usually a "get out of ticket free" card. Not saying it should be used as such at all, but when you're honest and the officer recognizes you as a good player, things tend to go very well. Maybe even a bit of gun talk.

A friend and I used to build street rods in our teenage years, and early 20s. We also carried. Last time my friend got pulled over by a rookie, the rookie told him that he was going to take his gun and ammunition with him. My friend told him that he was not going to deprive him of his property without due process (right or wrong) and that he needed to get someone out there who knew what he was doing. When the shift supervisor got there he told the rookie to leave the gun be. (I'll grant that the rookie had good cause to act as he did - my friend had to open the door as his window took the opportunity to break and he couldn't roll it down.)

I've not been pulled over in years. I generally obey the speed limit, and just do the right things in the wrong situations I find myself in at times. For example, there was a wreck at 13 and 24 the other day. I parked and directed traffic with an EMA aquaitence who arrived at the same time until a unit could respond (>20 minutes, they were spread thin and busy with other calls). Having been trained in traffic, I felt it was a responsibility I had, especially after all the Sheriff's Dept did for me in my younger years - I got my first "hands on" in traffic and firearms through that dept.

If I happen to stop in the jail, a captain I know comes out of the office to meet me. He just asks if I have "anything" that needs locked up, or if I'm just staying outside the jail area. I never take it in, but it's nice to know that I'm allowed to do so if I should wish.

My advice: Be polite, acknowledge that it's a job some elect to do, and if you have any doubts as to validity, ask the officer for some ID with the window cracked and the doors locked. Tell him that you're calling the police to make sure he is who he says he is. Most police understand.

Of course, and again, it helps if you get to know your local police force. Ride alongs, community volunteer service, and even asking for a look around the police station (many have badges and guns hanging on the walls - good photography) are good ways to get aquainted.

The JOB by its very nature makes some police officers suspicious of anyone not holding a badge. Once you're known to have an "honory badge" however, you're generally accepted even though you are a private citizen and not a public servant (I still refuse to use the term "civilian" to seperate a private citizen from a police officer; that just creates further alienation.)

Also, don't be afraid to get to know dispatch. I'll drive by a certain gas station around 10:30 most nights and, if a certain car is parked there, I'll stop, go in for a bit of coffee, and sit down, saying "Hi, Lily. How was business?" Lily is an older lady, a widower, who also happens to be a dispatcher, and a very good one. If I call the S.D. on second shift, she knows who it is. If I get in a mess and she's on, she can tell the deputy exactly who s/he's dealing with.

If your church has jail ministry, you might join up for that as well. Nothing like an officer of the law pulling you over and recognizing you from the jail services each Sunday!

But think about it - if you know eachother, it goes a long way to solving a crisis before it happens.

Josh <><

Get to know your police at any rate. The best way to avoid the situation is to check your lights on a monthly basis and don't speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff8487 View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken. Every time I go to the range I pass a light purple unmarked charger who always has a car pulled over. I see the purple charger, think nothing, then remember.

I've got my permit in front of me and no where on the permit does it say I have to by law infrom a LEO that I have a CCL or a CCW. I can't get packing.org to open or I'd link to the Indiana gun laws page and on there I believe it's stated as well that Hoosiers have no obligation to inform a LEO.
    Yeah I looked as well, I was wrong about thinking it was on it. it was late and i should of checked my permit to be sure. I still think for some reason we must inform. Well I plan to and told my g/f to if ever stopped. Better safe than sorry and it is good for us to keep that train of thought since we travel to Michigan alot and you are required to inform there.

As for the new Hemi Chargers....
    My g/f's cousin works in Texas for a small town police dept. He told me that the Chargers were getting passed around as "test" cars. He said all the guys who are lucky to get one love them. I have yet to see a charger here in Indiana.

Mr. Smith,

Thanks for your post. I am new to town/state and know no one. I drive so much and I am never working in the same place for long. Getting to know faces in towns has not been easy. The other thing I learned is to never speed here. I have been thinking about the ride along programs. I plan to check with my local dept to see if they have that kind of deal. I figure with that I can learn more about my town and get to know some of the good guys.

I have seen many chargers several in small little towns with no room for pursuit never understood that one but oh well they look alot cooler than crown vics and probly start a lot of conversation with the public so i guess that could be a good thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links