Is this a right thing to do?

This is a discussion on Is this a right thing to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say someone is engaging you for a fight, is it proper to lift up your shirt and show that you are carrying to get ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lets say someone is engaging you for a fight, is it proper to lift up your shirt and show that you are carrying to get them to back off?

Also, this was a short topic, so I though I would ask two questions. This one doesnt have to do with a Tactical Scenario.

Isnt there a law that says you cant own a pistol while on probation/parole? What if you live with 4 other people and one of them is on probation/parole, does this mean you cant have a gun in the house?

To our new friend.

The answer .... is.... NO !

Actually, my first response was NO @%&* WAY !

Someone approaches you and wants to fight and you lift up your concealment and show your weapon to them? That would be a great way to escalate or get yourself hurt real fast. If I, or one of my family members or close friends had someone (who they were arguing with) "lift his shirt and show a weapon"..... I would be unhappy

The answer is always NO

Now, if you live with fifty-seven felons, sharing the kitchen and bathroom facilities and need to ask if you can own, carry and lawfully possess a firearm, I would think you have other problems to deal with. YES, you can own and possess a firearm. NO, you can't loan it to them or let them "see it for a minute" (even if you're arguing with them. LOL) Best thing is to try to avoid these kind of people. (how do we spell "t-r-o-u-b-l-e"?)

I would answer "no" to both questions. Keep the firearm out of the house and keep the firearm out of any arguments with others.

Firearms don't make you tough. Actually, carrying a firearm just might make you appear non-confrontational, as you avoid more trouble while armed than not armed. You are held to a much higher standard.

No offense, really, but perhaps if you are thinking that the firearm is going to settle things or add testosterone, you ought to re-think carrying a weapon at all. (prisons are full of people who thought that the gun made them taller, only to find out that 300 lb gorilla's inside prison think your testosterone is kinda cute)

(my 2-cents. May be worth less than that, but you asked)

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    Lets say someone is engaging you for a fight, is it proper to lift up your shirt and show that you are carrying to get them to back off?

Also, this was a short topic, so I though I would ask two questions. This one doesnt have to do with a Tactical Scenario.

Isnt there a law that says you cant own a pistol while on probation/parole? What if you live with 4 other people and one of them is on probation/parole, does this mean you cant have a gun in the house?
    some folks will disagree, but in my opinion, your weapon isn't for show. you either keep it holstered, or you shoot the guy with it...absolutely no in between. as for when you are authorized deadly force, this differs from state to state. generally, you have to fear for life or limb. while possible, it's improbable that you could demonstrate that an unarmed man threatened you to that extent.

as for the probation/parole thing, i know that's at least the case for some felonies. you can't even have ammo. i'm not sure where the line is drawn however, on which charges. you can have the weapon, but your friend may not be able to live there. it's not your problem, it's his.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I disagree with the "holstered or shooting someone and no in-between" thing, but this is not a good time to show your gun. You need to be apologizing and backing away, whether your are wrong or not. Forget your pride. You get to have a gun with you or your pride, not both.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    No...just leave...get outa Dodge.

I think I messed up the wording on my first question.

Well I remember the video someone posted (A Youtube), the main guy of the video said him and his wife were being followed by a group of men who said they were going to kill them, and they would never find the bodies. In the video he said he "showed his gun to them" and they backed off. Then the interviewer said "The mere sight of the gun saved you?"

This is where my question arrised, when he "showed" them the weapon, did he pull it out and point, or lift up he shirt and show them he was armed?

Now.. I think it's situation dependent. I was at a gas station not too long ago. There was a group of latinos at the next pump...taking turns fueling up cars on one credit card. One of them started staring at me, then said something to one of the other fellows and started walking towards me with "that look" on his face. I just took off my cover garment...he stopped and went the other way.

Wasn't a "fight" but it COULD have turned into something nasty really quick
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

sorry

Please forgive me for answering your question twice, but...

If "some men" threaten you and your wife and tell you that they are "going to kill you and no one is going to find your bodies" and then...

You show them your gun and THEY LEAVE...

You immediately do TWO things:

1) Thank God that it worked out that way, and

2) Go change your underwear and clean out your pants

Because YOU SIR just witnessed a miracle. Things don't normally work that way, and I wouldn't bet my life, or my wife's life, on that ever happening.

Oh, the third thing I would recommend is GO PURCHASE A LOTTO TICKET because today was your lucky day (no exaggeration)

Again, just my opinion.

It is estimated that.....

I think I messed up the wording on my first question.

Well I remember the video someone posted (A Youtube), the main guy of the video said him and his wife were being followed by a group of men who said they were going to kill them, and they would never find the bodies. In the video he said he "showed his gun to them" and they backed off. Then the interviewer said "The mere sight of the gun saved you?"

This is where my question arrised, when he "showed" them the weapon, did he pull it out and point, or lift up he shirt and show them he was armed?

People de-escalate over 2 million potential lethal situations each year by simply displaying a firearm. I personally know someone who has had to do this twice. The desired effect was achieved, the threat turned and left quickly. I would call the police right away as you don't want the aggressor to call first and claim you pulled a gun on him. The scenario you described is reason enough for fear. Disparity of force and treats. Good enough for me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

While every scenario is different, I will say this. A firearm is an offensive weapon. It is also deadly force. By Ohio law, deadly force is authorized when you are in fear of serious bodily injury or death or to protect someone from serious bodily injury or death.

With these two elements in mind, I would suggest to only show the firearm if you are willing to use it. You must be prepared to articulate that deadly force could be used, and be prepared if simply showing the gun doesn't deter the aggression. In other words, do not show the gun for mere intimidation value.
    Shidoshi E. Scott Damron
    www.impactninjutsu.com

Depends on the state,and exactly who the owner/rentor(s) of the property is. Occassionally. Rarely. In grossly infrequent occasions. Someone will get a raw deal, and "unjustifiably" be denied their rights through due process. Mostly, IME, cons enjoy lying down with pigs, and can't figure out why they get up smelling like poop.

Might wanna find new roomies, unless life is just too boring for words.

FYI_ about 14 years ago, I ran a guy who apparently tried the "show-my-gun" move. He was shot 14 times, the first three over the appendix/abdomen, where the muzzle came level when the guy he was trying to impress snatched it out of his pants. The last two were in the back of the head, while he was facedown on his waterbed. Ugh.

If the person has no way of grievously harming you (I don’t consider a fight grievously harming you, painful, yes, but you’ll live), then I say your gun has no business being displayed or used. When you carry you really have to take the high road and walk away. There are far too many scenarios that will end in you losing and being used on you or using your gun when it's not needed.

It is all situation dependent. You just gotta go with your gut. But if you are going to show your carrying, you better be out of arms reach, and make sure you are ready to use it. Retreat is always an option, and should be your first.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Please forgive me for answering your question twice, but...

If "some men" threaten you and your wife and tell you that they are "going to kill you and no one is going to find your bodies" and then...

You show them your gun and THEY LEAVE...

You immediately do TWO things:

1) Thank God that it worked out that way, and

2) Go change your underwear and clean out your pants

Because YOU SIR just witnessed a miracle. Things don't normally work that way, and I wouldn't bet my life, or my wife's life, on that ever happening.

Oh, the third thing I would recommend is GO PURCHASE A LOTTO TICKET because today was your lucky day (no exaggeration)

Again, just my opinion.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. There are times when the display of a firearm is needed to keep you alive. Some of us cannot run. We are dissabled, old, injured. Appologizing and backing away will not always work.

If actively persued after an appology and making an attempt to leave I will present my firearm. I hope to never have to use it again, but the one thing I have learned is when someone gets it in their mind to hurt you, you must present the appearance of force quickly enough to dissuade them from further thought of hurting you.

(followed of course by an immediate call to 911)

This is a forum where people ask questions to hypothetical situations and look for honest opinions in return. I have personally been threatened with "I'm going to cut you up, kill your family, and burn your house down" while at knifepoint. (back in the bouncer days) I then presented my weapon, he dropped the knife and ran.

Yes, I was thankful it ended that way. Most of the situations ended that way. It's not abnormal at all. Once they find out that you intend to back up your talk with the walk, they leave.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

VIP Member
    I think if you were just lifting your shirt and revealing the weapon, you'd better be a good distance from your threat. If not it could become a battle between you and him over YOUR weapon. Someone can be on you in less that 2 seconds from 21 feet away. Every situation is different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links