Strange Car Parked in Front of House - Page 2

Strange Car Parked in Front of House

This is a discussion on Strange Car Parked in Front of House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. I hope I never have the displeasure of going to someone's house only to be told by some random person that I need to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Strange Car Parked in Front of House

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Wow. I hope I never have the displeasure of going to someone's house only to be told by some random person that I need to move my car from a public street because it doesn't look nice enough for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Unless it was some gated community and had signs posted that visitors were not allowed I don't see an issue. If I were the driver of the car on a public street and was approached with questions of what I'm doing there I'd reply "minding my own business" and close the window. Yikes man, I don't dress like you and my vehicle is not up to your standards so I'm a potential threat or BG?

If I was that driver I would have told you to go pound sand and in a much less delicate manner.

Who the hell are you to tell someone to move along when he is doing nothing wrong?

If I saw that from my home I would observe but not go out and confront them and definitely not unarmed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations on good situational awareness. What is sad here is today's world makes us overly S.A. but if we think about our past this is really a normal reaction even in the 60's. We protect our parents and our property. Our family & neighbors.

I am not saying he was up to no good but law enforcement is here for you in this type of situation. Law Enforcement knows exactly how to handle these moments. He could have been stalking his ex. or a child in the neighborhood. There are many different scenarios which could take place and raise a justifiable need for awareness, an I.D. with name, phone & address of this person with Law Enforcement.

Many Red flags also. Why could he not wait in the driveway of the house his Girlfriend was working in. No reason to park in front of someone else's house. It is a public street but you are in my neighborhood just taking it all in and in front of my house to boot. I would highly recommend you not approach him. A camera taking in the car, person & tags while used inconspicuously. I will and have called the Sherrif to investigate suspicious activity. If the person is sound then no harm was done. I always request they do not make it obvious that I called it in and they always call me back to let me know what happened. Just because I carry or have a gun does not make me a deputy or L.E. Doesn't make it safe or lawful for me to approach people aggressively or to inquire anything about them.

Once a homeless appearing man pushing a shopping cart was taking his time walking by. Nearest store 8 miles so I called it in. He was looking around at each house for 5-10 minutes appeared lost. He had four dogs on the cart. Law Enforcement arrested him because he was a convicted pedophile. He had a weapon. An elementary school was the next lot on the block. The dogs were his substitute children.

Since you asked. For what it's worth, I feel you did everything right as far as being suspicious of someone out of place. S.A. skills are one thing but judgmental, car rust, dings etc. could be toned down. We never know what roads others have traveled or been forced to take momentarily. I have long hair and an old 95 dually I sometimes drive that calls attention to some. I grin because I am the first to stop and help others in need and I do not see myself as up to no good. I am 6'2 and 225lb, somewhat a gym freak. Some might see me as intimidating or not exactly fitting in but once you meet me, you rest a teensy bit easier, JMO. (Share a good pizza and a pitcher of beer or Dr. Pepper with good conversation about anything then we are both good forever. Even more so if you let me buy. )

Better to have police investigate than come home to an empty house tomorrow with a hurt father, or a hurt neighbor than just build animosity with this shadow man. Better to call it in than hear the neighbor's child was kidnaped and you did nothing and know nothing more than a rusty dented car was in your neighborhood yesterday. Better to allow Law Enforcement to check it out than lay dead in the street in your own neighborhood where an unknown car was previously sitting,

The police or sheriff would have walked away knowing everything important about him, left him happy if everything checked out and left him knowing they get many calls to check out suspicious activity in this neighborhood. That this is a neighborhood that keeps an eye out for everyone living here, 24/7.

You really walked away from him not knowing anything more about him plus you more than likely irritated him. Even more worrisome, you took an unnecessary risk with yourself and you put your father at risk. I find that your respect of his rules are admirable hard as they are to bear. I would break those in a way that he was unaware. But that's just me. In this situation, it is better to talk it over with him in a just and absolutely positive way. Explain what you have learned here through discussing this situation with others. Just as you needed to raise his awareness that an unidentifiable car was sitting out in front of the house you might need to raise his awareness on other topics. If he does not come to understand your good intentions and you get caught packing, it is better to beg forgiveness than beg for permission. But be prepared to follow his rules from then on as you earn his trust back. "Hi, Pops, you can search me (as you jump up and down while turning a circle) and my things, I have no gun, now what's for dinner?" Take him to the range. He might start carrying with you. Let him see how safe & serious your respect for guns, your right to carry and self-protection truly is. Like I tell my children, In normal situations, everyone is capable of not having an unwanted pregnancy & everyone can carry without imprinting.

IMHO, If you had handled it through Law Enforcement then this minute you would feel safer. Err on the side of caution always. Never say you are sorry. Safety first & foremost. You have every right to act upon your S.A., protect your family and learn from your actions.

Why does everyone seem so grumpy? It is a New Year just beginning,
    Rock and Glock, Ianthin and jttar like this.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnobody View Post
    The girl didn't clean the house in 20 min. She finished 20 min after being questioned by the OP. The car was obviously sitting there for quite a while before the OP came home and got his pants twisted up. If anything, this brings legitimacy to the drivers story.

Personally I think the OP over reacted. It's not against the law to sit in a car on a public street. Absolutely no suspicious activity was observed. It sounds like the only reason the OP even got involved is that the driver didn't measure up to the OPs social economic upbringing. I suspect if the driver was the same ethinity as the OP, and driving nicer car, there wouldn't have been any issue.
    And if that's the case, then he'd probably wait in the street instead of blocking a client's driveway. Esp if they may be coming home from work, etc.
    LeanHard likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I would not have bothered him...as long as he gave me no reason.

If I had been him, when you told me to wait a half mile away...I would have told you to take flying leap...that I was not on your property.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; January 3rd, 2017 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post

Why does everyone seem so grumpy? It is a New Year just beginning,
    Yeah, the poor OP is getting a bit of a beating, and sadly I may be perceived as carrying a pitchfork too which wasn't my intent.

SA is good, and noticing someone out of place is not a bad thing. Nor am I above profiling, instincts are there for a reason.

The actions, though, could have gone downhill in a hurry. Rethinking what to do when these things crop up is prudent. Over and under reacting both carry risks.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Don't be a George Zimmerman.
    Best advice of the thread
    MB53 and LeanHard like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Best advice of the thread
    Best Moderator we have..............today!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    Best Moderator we have..............today!
    I'll just ban the rest of them then I will be all day everyday
    rcsoftexas, Havok and LeanHard like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bpurdy0 View Post
    As I returned from running some errands today, I noticed a strange car parked out in front of my house. I could tell the car was not from my neighborhood because none of my neighbors own that model of car and the condition of the vehicle was different than most cars in the area (more dings, dents, and rust than usual). On top of that, the driver was definitely not someone I recognized and like his vehicle, he seemed out of place. I asked my father (who was already home) if we were expecting company and he said we were not. We decided to go out and talk to him and ask him to move. I decided to grab my 4 oz can of mace because my father said no firearms (not my call, but his house, his rules). As I approached his car I used my phone to get a picture of his license plate in case we decided to contact law enforcement. The driver of the vehicle claimed that he had just dropped his girlfriend off to clean my neighbors house (it would explain why my father saw that car go in and out of the neighbors driveway) and was waiting for her to finish her job. He said he decided to stay because he was low on gas, although his car was idling for quite a while. I asked him to go wait half a mile down the road where there was a place to park on the side of the road. When he asked why, my father chimed in and said that this is a private neighborhood and his presence was putting people on edge. The driver said that another neighbor had already talked to him earlier and that he wasn't doing anything wrong and that he won't move until his girlfriend finished cleaning in about 20 minutes. We decided that he was probably telling the truth and went back inside. As he claimed, he drove away about 20 minutes later. I did not see if he stopped to pick up his girlfriend. Law enforcement was not contacted.

What would people have done differently (other than going armed, I'll talk to my dad about that)? Also what went right? I worry that I have been a bit hostile, but my thinking is that it's better to offend someone else than risk your own security.
    One, you don't own the street .... sounds like the guys story is legite. He has a right to park and eat lunch, take a break and take a nap, wait for his girl friend or whatever else he wants to do ...... as long as it's legal.

A retired FBI agent who did private investigative work after his retirement , showed me a video where he was watching some folks and trying to get some things on video ...... and a guy came out and was threatening him, telling him to quit watching his house and family (wasn't the house he was watching at all for a certain person) , and he kept videoing while this guy was going off. The guy then tried to get physical with him, and he warned the guy to stop . The guy was super paranoid for some reason that he was being watched ..... but had nothing to do with reality. As a PI, he had every right to be right where he was. The guy went back in his house and came back.... he said the guy had a gun in his hand, he had his 1911 .45 sitting on the dash .... and told the guy to back off and leave him alone, or he would video him getting shot too.

Again,... you don't own the street. The guy told you what he was doing, and he did nothing to contradict that. Sounds like you were the paranoid one who was nervous about him being there.

Having a gun in your hand at that point, would have been extremely dumb..... no one was threatening you nor your life. But you could have easily been seen as the threat and shot. Sounds like you need to leave guns alone.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

GR
    Sometimes I drop off my daughter for after school lessons and I wait for her in my car for hour+.
    If I would see somebody approaching me out of the blue I would do a chamber check and be cautious.
    Unless this was private property, approaching that car was a bad idea. The fact that he answered you what is he doing yet you told him to move was just rude.
    Take a pic of the guy/plate even report it if you want but why disturb somebody? Dangerous if you ask me.
    LeanHard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I had been the guy in the car, I would have told both of you to shove off.
    We often disagree... but in this case, shove off is nicer than would have been

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns others "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    i get this suspicious brown truck rolling through my hood every day around 5pm, sometimes stopping and dropping boxes on peoples doorsteps. I'm gonna confront him tomorrow! ;)
    Havok and LeanHard like this.

Oh Lawd!

I would have walked about half way between my house and his car, waved and said.." you all good Bro"? ( getting a decent look at him). If he responded that he was "good", I would have gone back inside. If he has asked for help, I likely would have offered as long as it didn't require him coming inside. I am a suspicious person but I would not have quizzed him or asked him to leave.. I don't own the street or the easement. I would have let him know he was noticed, and then let him be. I would take a peek out the window and check on him until he left. The fact that I may be uneasy about something does not really give me license to get all up in someones business.

Now if the guy had been parked in the middle of my yard.. I would call the Law.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links