Strange Car Parked in Front of House - Page 3

Strange Car Parked in Front of House

This is a discussion on Strange Car Parked in Front of House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As first mentioned by rcsoftexas the one thing that really caught my attention was: if he was waiting for his girlfriend while she was cleaning ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Strange Car Parked in Front of House

Distinguished Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    As first mentioned by rcsoftexas the one thing that really caught my attention was: if he was waiting for his girlfriend while she was cleaning a house why did he not wait in front of the house that the girlfriend was cleaning?

He may have been legit but the fact he didn't wait in front of the house the girlfriend was cleaning is really weird. So I agree that it might have been best for the OP to have reported a suspicious vehicle to the nonemergency number.

On that thought, how many of us have the nonemergency number programmed in their cell phone?

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    Lots of nice people drive crappy cars, myself being one of them. I'm not poor, not a criminal. Just don't play the game with status symbols, its just a way to get from point A to point B. People themselves are better to profile imho based on their body language and actions. I say be aware of their presence, and leave 'em the heck alone for many reasons already stated.
    9MMare and rcsoftexas like this.
    GO TRUMP ! HILLARY-PRISON NOT PROMOTION

I had a kind of similar situation. My neighbor was transferred out of state for his job. Instead of leaving the house empty he had his young, newly divorced, daughter to leave her apartment and move in there. We live on a semi rural road with farms interspersed with homes.

One night about 11:00 she called us and said there was a car parked in her driveway. It had been there long enough to make her uncomfortable.

This was before I had a CCW, but I put my pistol in my coat pocket and went over. It looked like the guy was messing with his phone cause I saw his face in the phone's light. I don't know but I guess he could have been lost and looking at his GPS.

I just stood beside the driveway in front of him about 20 feet away and looked at him with my "What the hell are you doing here" look. He backed up immediately and drove away. While my firearm wasn't part of it, I was glad to have it with me. I went to check the young lady to see if she was OK, went home and was on the lookout off and on the rest of the night. Whoever it was never returned.
    GpTom likes this.

Don't know what else you need other than a picture of the car-the license plate and the driver. Then keep your eyes open just in case he does something illegal. I harassed a private detective who was staking out our street one time because he happened to be across the street when my daughter left for work one morning. I took his license number and noted his city sticker found out he had a rented car, and then saw him a few days later and really bothered him because he wouldn't tell me what he was up to. I told him that I was starting a neighborhood watch and that I was making myself the head of it. I finally left him alone when he told me that I was starting to impede his investigation. I made him tell the police what he was doing and they told me that he was on the up and up. So I had to quit bothering him after that. He told me that where he was parked across the street from my house was where he could see all the way up and down the street because there is a slight bend in the street. He was right about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I had been the guy in the car, I would have told both of you to shove off.
    ^^^THIS^^ an then some.

Sometimes our concern/curiosity gets the better of us. There is no reason to talk to the guy much less tell him to move. If you're truly concerned, go to a window that gives you a good vantage point without necessarily giving yourself away. You'll either get really bored, really fast or you'll decide there is something going on and you'll maintain your vigilance.
    MB53 likes this.
    Chief of Income Acquisition (wife is Chief of Purchasing - of course)
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

This situation is what God made binoculars for.

Over reacting...... tellin' a guy legally parked to move down the road.....that right there could have instigated a problem....wow.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Don't know what else you need other than a picture of the car-the license plate and the driver. Then keep your eyes open just in case he does something illegal. I harassed a private detective who was staking out our street one time because he happened to be across the street when my daughter left for work one morning. I took his license number and noted his city sticker found out he had a rented car, and then saw him a few days later and really bothered him because he wouldn't tell me what he was up to. I told him that I was starting a neighborhood watch and that I was making myself the head of it. I finally left him alone when he told me that I was starting to impede his investigation. I made him tell the police what he was doing and they told me that he was on the up and up. So I had to quit bothering him after that. He told me that where he was parked across the street from my house was where he could see all the way up and down the street because there is a slight bend in the street. He was right about that.
    You know we live in America, right?
    tcbradbury98 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

If it bothered you that much you should have simply kept your eye on the vehicle and your mouth shut.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post

See my post in the recent neighborhood watch thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

Lets be honest. A lot of "house cleaners" are down on their luck, broke folks, and cleaning houses is the easiest way for them to make money, since there is no real back ground check and they can set their own hours. If it was a public street, the guy had every right to park there and wait for her, without harassment from you.

I probably would have checked the mail and snapped a picture of his license plate in the process, but would not have confronted him.
    Toshtego and LeanHard like this.

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    There is a vacant field across the street from my house (railroad property). When I see an unusual vehicle, I walk out and wave to them. I take note of the make and model of the car and go back in. Sometimes they leave within a minute (I assume they don't want to be watched). I never confront them (after all I don't own the street). I'll call it in if I really suspect something. Other than that, my gun is only protect my household and those in it. If necessary, I'll let the police handle situations outside.
    Toshtego likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    Lets be honest. A lot of "house cleaners" are down on their luck, broke folks, and cleaning houses is the easiest way for them to make money, since there is no real back ground check and they can set their own hours. If it was a public street, the guy had every right to park there and wait for her, without harassment from you.

I probably would have checked the mail and snapped a picture of his license plate in the process, but would not have confronted him.
    I tend not to go out of my way to knock people who choose to work to make an honest living.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    As first mentioned by rcsoftexas the one thing that really caught my attention was: if he was waiting for his girlfriend while she was cleaning a house why did he not wait in front of the house that the girlfriend was cleaning?

He may have been legit but the fact he didn't wait in front of the house the girlfriend was cleaning is really weird. So I agree that it might have been best for the OP to have reported a suspicious vehicle to the nonemergency number.

On that thought, how many of us have the nonemergency number programmed in their cell phone?
    Because the people who own the house tell the girl friend to tell her boyfriend NOT to park with that car in front of their house. Heard / seen that one several times.

If you want to find out how shallow a woman can be , on your first date drive the old rebuild antique you are working on , and leave the Jaguar in the garage. After 2 dates, if she hasn't said a word.... she's not very shallow. But I'm guessing with 80% of the women, she'll have some excuse and you'll never have a 2nd date. The question is, are you so shallow to drive the Jaguar because you want to impress the kind of woman that likes you for all of the wrong reasons.

And yep, I've done it. Rather interesting. I knew I found a good one, when she said she loved older cars, named off about everything related to that car, and loves older / antique cars. Then when I took her home, she showed me her 40 Ford coupe in the garage.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links