Strange Car Parked in Front of House

This is a discussion on Strange Car Parked in Front of House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I returned from running some errands today, I noticed a strange car parked out in front of my house. I could tell the car ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Strange Car Parked in Front of House

As I returned from running some errands today, I noticed a strange car parked out in front of my house. I could tell the car was not from my neighborhood because none of my neighbors own that model of car and the condition of the vehicle was different than most cars in the area (more dings, dents, and rust than usual). On top of that, the driver was definitely not someone I recognized and like his vehicle, he seemed out of place. I asked my father (who was already home) if we were expecting company and he said we were not. We decided to go out and talk to him and ask him to move. I decided to grab my 4 oz can of mace because my father said no firearms (not my call, but his house, his rules). As I approached his car I used my phone to get a picture of his license plate in case we decided to contact law enforcement. The driver of the vehicle claimed that he had just dropped his girlfriend off to clean my neighbors house (it would explain why my father saw that car go in and out of the neighbors driveway) and was waiting for her to finish her job. He said he decided to stay because he was low on gas, although his car was idling for quite a while. I asked him to go wait half a mile down the road where there was a place to park on the side of the road. When he asked why, my father chimed in and said that this is a private neighborhood and his presence was putting people on edge. The driver said that another neighbor had already talked to him earlier and that he wasn't doing anything wrong and that he won't move until his girlfriend finished cleaning in about 20 minutes. We decided that he was probably telling the truth and went back inside. As he claimed, he drove away about 20 minutes later. I did not see if he stopped to pick up his girlfriend. Law enforcement was not contacted.

What would people have done differently (other than going armed, I'll talk to my dad about that)? Also what went right? I worry that I have been a bit hostile, but my thinking is that it's better to offend someone else than risk your own security.

Me? I'd more likely have a serious heart-to-heart with...my father. After all
    it's better to offend someone else than risk your own security
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Unless he was breaking some law, not much you can do really. He doesn't even need to answer to you as to why he's there. If you really wanted to run him off, you could have called your local departments non emergency line and reported a suspicious vehicle, then let them decide what to do.

If I do anything (even when I lived in a neighborhood), it's make sure they see me checking them out and eyeing their license plate.

Out here in the rural area, I might ask them if they're lost or ok.

Alot of the time, it's people doing real estate appraisals.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Was this on a private road or on your property? If not and he was legally parked on a public road he had as right to be there as anyone else. Confronting and driving him off may have turned a non-issue into one, and may invite retribution someday. Take a deep breath next time, over reacting can create unnecessary problems.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I would not go outside and engage him. Nothing good could come from that course of action. If anything went really south, you are the one who initiated the confrontation with someone who is not breaking any laws and that's very bad for you. If it's a bad guy who decides to just leave, he now knows where you live and in his mind he has a score to settle. The only move here if you're really that concerned is to report the suspicious vehicle and keep an eye on things from inside the house. Let the pros handle these things.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    If it's a public road/street it can be used by the public.
    If suspicious I'd keep an eye on them.
    Don't be a George Zimmerman.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't confront in that situation I just find its time to sit on the front steps and "enjoy some fresh air" or do some outdoor task which leaves me in sight. I then make it fairly obvious(not a death stare!) I am aware and watching. This usually makes trouble leave and even an innocent person leave in short order, most people don't like being watched...
    LeanHard likes this.

VIP Member
    The story smelled like 4 day old fish. You do NOT just drop someone off to clean a house and expect her to be finished in 20 minutes! OOPS - unless the word "just" meant "only" and didn't mean "just recently or just now". Word usage can be confusing.

As everyone else said here, the driver knows where you live now. Even though it was a public street and anyone can stop, rest, park, it still might have been a good idea to have called non-911 LEO and reported a suspicious vehicle. And get pictures as possible but not where the driver could see you doing that.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; January 2nd, 2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: correct misunderstandings of OP post
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    It was a bit much to tell the guy to wait half a mile down the road. He was just a guy giving his girlfriend that was cleaning houses a ride.

Look at this from his perspective. He's minding his own business, presumably watching out for his girlfriend. When he explains this to some busybody, the busybody suddenly demands that he drive half a mile away and leave his girlfriend unattended. If I were the driver, I'd tell the busybody that I'm not leaving my girlfriend alone.

It's fine to check things out, but it doesn't give you license to overreact.

EDIT: We've had people in our neighborhood to clean houses, and boyfriends/significant others have come to pick them up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    If I had been the guy in the car, I would have told both of you to shove off.
    Bad Bob, redmc, Hoganbeg and 20 others like this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Many cops are killed investigating suspicious persons.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    The story smelled like 4 day old fish. You do NOT just drop someone off to clean a house and expect her to be finished i 20 minutes! As everyone else said here, the driver knows where you live now. Even though is was a public street and anyone can stop, rest, park, it still would have been a good idea to have called non-911 LEO and reported a suspicious vehicle. And get pictures as possible but not where the driver could see you doing that.
    The girl didn't clean the house in 20 min. She finished 20 min after being questioned by the OP. The car was obviously sitting there for quite a while before the OP came home and got his pants twisted up. If anything, this brings legitimacy to the drivers story.

Personally I think the OP over reacted. It's not against the law to sit in a car on a public street. Absolutely no suspicious activity was observed. It sounds like the only reason the OP even got involved is that the driver didn't measure up to the OPs social economic upbringing. I suspect if the driver was the same ethinity as the OP, and driving nicer car, there wouldn't have been any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If I had been the guy in the car, I would have told both of you to shove off.
    Yeah it sounds like he had business right there where he was. Wouldn't have surprised me if HE called 911 to report someone kicking him off a public road.

I certainly encourage taking ownership of one's neighborhood, responding to suspicious activities and looking out for your neighbors. However, the mere presence of someone who does not reside in the area alone is not all that suspicious, unless he was doing something else that pointed toward some nefarious intent.

Everyone is not as successful as you are. Some who are successful still drive a crappy looking car. People have relatives and hire service contractors. If you want complete security from the presence of those lesser humans you need a larger property and a real big fence.

In all honesty you really had no right to tell him to move. If someone is parked in front of your home on a public street then he's completely legal to be there. You have no say who parks in a public street even if it happens to be in front of your home. If he parked down your private drive that would be another story.

Lastly, if you feel the need to grab a firearm or another nonlethal weapon in order to approach a vehicle I would highly suggest not doing so. There was no need to approach the driver and even if there was and you felt unsafe about the situation then that's what the police are for. Of couse calling the police on a guy parked on a public street isn't enough to to justify such an action IMHO.

People park outside my house all the time and I've never felt a need or right to approach them and tell them to leave.

If I was that guy and you came over and demanded me to move a half mile down the street then you would be the one getting the police call on. Let people be and don't harass someone doing NOTHING illegal. We all have rights. He has the right to save gas, drive a beater car and park on any public road that's legal to do so.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links