My four most realistic scenarios I'm concerned about

This is a discussion on My four most realistic scenarios I'm concerned about within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are three that I'm preparing for: The first and most likely is a car jacking/mugging. My work requires me to go into rougher parts ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: My four most realistic scenarios I'm concerned about

There are three that I'm preparing for:

The first and most likely is a car jacking/mugging. My work requires me to go into rougher parts of town and this is something I'm increasingly becoming concerned about as Toledo seems to be getting rougher.

The second is a home invasion for which I've more than sufficient firepower to deal with.

The other scenario is in a SHTF situation:

If a break down in social order should come, I think the most likely hazard is going to be road blocks. We've already seen it with protests this past year and its a tactic that has proven to be incredibly disruptive. For that matter its a tactic that has been used by the Russians recently in their preparations to invade their neighbors.

I suspect this is a method that will continue to be used by protesters (and possibly help catalyze a break down in social order) as well as be utilized by thugs and no goods take advantage of people should they no longer be fearful of police. Although the chances of a SHTF situation is hopefully remote, that's the most likely scenario in which I think a person will find themselves having to use force.

You're thinking ahead and considering the most likely scenarios.
    Well done.
    I could offer free advice on the scenarios you mention, but it sounds like you've a good handle on where to start and how to develop your plans.
    Definite kudos!
    rcsoftexas and Sportymonk like this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Thanks !!

I'd be curious what your advice would be on a car jacking or mugging scenario ?
    Sportymonk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array G26Raven's Avatar
    You listed 3. What is the fourth?
    19Kvet, MB53 and OldVet like this.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.

"To you who call yourselves 'men of peace,' I say, you are not safe without men of action by your side." Thucydides

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    My four;
    1. Unemployment
    2. House fire
    3. Car accident
    4. Health
    I won't obsess over them, life's too short. Same with everything else...
    GO TRUMP ! HILLARY-PRISON NOT PROMOTION
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

I have been thinking about ways to discourage an attack upon my vehicle and I have a few ideas. Somebody told me on here that it is against the law to spray somebody with wasp and hornet spray so I think he meant for me to just start shooting and killing a whole bunch of people if they mob up and come my way. I don't know what the legality is of making my door handles into stun guns with a switch inside but I am pretty sure that one of those real loud ship horns would be legal in an emergency and if it were loud enough I would think that it would repel most people. Over in South Africa they install flame throwers under the rocker panels just to keep mobs from approaching the vehicle. That seems a little impersonal to me but I am wondering if that is what it will come to over here. But a can of carb cleaner and a torch might discourage somebody from getting too close but I'm thinking the window would have to be down or the door open for that so that might be a last resort. I have alarms around the house so nobody will surprise me while I am asleep and one even calls me if anything moves inside the house when we are away.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Of those 3 I have only experienced one.
    Had an angry individual come up to my pickup yelling unintelligibly. I have no idea what he was upset about.
    I saw him walking up in my mirror so I got my walking stick from the rifle rack in the back window (truck has a camper).
    It was summer, windows were down (no a/c). When he pulled back to hit me he got poked 6 times in the face, chest, and stomach.
    He went down, light changed, I left.
    This was 30 years ago. I wasn't carrying, but if I was I would have still used my walking stick. Still have that stick.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    Had an angry individual come up to my pickup yelling unintelligibly. I have no idea what he was upset about.
    I saw him walking up in my mirror so I got my walking stick from the rifle rack in the back window (truck has a camper).
    It was summer, windows were down (no a/c). When he pulled back to hit me he got poked 6 times in the face, chest, and stomach.
    This was 30 years ago. I wasn't carrying, but if I was I would have still used my walking stick. Still have that stick.

THAT GUY wasn't "thinking ahead and considering the most likely scenarios."

But YOU were !
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeMike View Post
    Thanks !!

I'd be curious what your advice would be on a car jacking or mugging scenario ?
    There are a 3 car jacking scenarios I come up with and almost all of them end with me losing the car. It's not worth risking my life over something that's insured.

1. Carjacker approaches me while I am outside of the car and demands my keys. I would toss the keys one way and run the other.
    2. Carjacker approaches from driver or passenger side window. I would attempt to drive away.
    3. Carjacker enters vehicle. I would jump out at my first chance.

My plan for carjacking...

Let them have it, odds are they can't drive a stick shift.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I have been thinking about ways to discourage an attack upon my vehicle and I have a few ideas. Somebody told me on here that it is against the law to spray somebody with wasp and hornet spray so I think he meant for me to just start shooting and killing a whole bunch of people if they mob up and come my way. I don't know what the legality is of making my door handles into stun guns with a switch inside but I am pretty sure that one of those real loud ship horns would be legal in an emergency and if it were loud enough I would think that it would repel most people. Over in South Africa they install flame throwers under the rocker panels just to keep mobs from approaching the vehicle. That seems a little impersonal to me but I am wondering if that is what it will come to over here. But a can of carb cleaner and a torch might discourage somebody from getting too close but I'm thinking the window would have to be down or the door open for that so that might be a last resort. I have alarms around the house so nobody will surprise me while I am asleep and one even calls me if anything moves inside the house when we are away.
    What kind of alarms do you have around the house? Always looking to improve home security! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bpurdy0 View Post
    There are a 3 car jacking scenarios I come up with and almost all of them end with me losing the car. It's not worth risking my life over something that's insured.

1. Carjacker approaches me while I am outside of the car and demands my keys. I would toss the keys one way and run the other.
    2. Carjacker approaches from driver or passenger side window. I would attempt to drive away.
    3. Carjacker enters vehicle. I would jump out at my first chance.
    I think losing your car is not the only worry. The worry is that the guy may want more than your car. He may want to take you somewhere, like to an ATM. Afterwards, he might not want a witness. He may just want to take you somewhere convenient to kill you because he doesn't like how you look. Also, you may have other people in the car to worry about.

For that reason, I think your #2 and #3 are iffy. For #2, it would be a stupid 'jacker who would approach you when you could just drive away. It is more likely he will come at you when your engine isn't running yet or you have just shut it off or you are blocked in traffic. I try to keep a 360 scan going in those situations. If someone is approaching, I have a snubby in my console that can come out very quickly. If I see a weapon, I will shoot the guy right through the glass.

For #3, a car jacker should never be able to get in your car. The doors should always be locked, except for the driver's door, just long enough for you to get in. If my some mishap, he does get in your car and has a gun, or even a knife and you have your seatbelt on, it is going to be hard to escape before he can do something to you. I prefer a good offense. I have a concealed, fixed blade knife wedged in part of the mechanism under my seat. It is very quick to get to. I am going to wait for, or create, an opportunity when his muzzle isn't on me and jam that in his throat. But again, I question how he gets there to begin with if you use your door locks right.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member

That Teddy Roosevelt knew some stuff, I tell ya...
    AzQkr, OD* and Hoganbeg like this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Car jacking?? Meh. Please take it.

Home invasion? Don't bother kicking the door. It's unlocked, come right on in.

SHTF? Most of us veterans have already been there, and got the t shirt.

Ill tell ya what really kills people; stress from worry, lack of exercise, and smoking, or excessive drinking.
    jmf552, AzQkr, BBMike and 12 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

That stick was made for walk'n
    Thats mostly what you do
    But once in a while that stick gets used to poke some bad guys too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links