Today's tragedy in Ft. Lauderdale is why we carry

This is a discussion on Today's tragedy in Ft. Lauderdale is why we carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in target standing in line when I heard the words airport and shooting. I'm glad that I live in a state where good ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By alabamaguy
  • 2 Post By Mblanc
  • 1 Post By LeanHard
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By jmf552

Thread: Today's tragedy in Ft. Lauderdale is why we carry

I was in target standing in line when I heard the words airport and shooting. I'm glad that I live in a state where good citizens are not denied the right to defend themselves. Lethal force is all too much of a reality in this day and age. If just one armed citizen were there, perhaps this tragedy might have been abated.

Prayers go out to the families of the fallen.

Edit: Wasn't aware that the baggage claim is a gun free zone. Smh.
    Last edited by Mblanc; January 7th, 2017 at 11:58 AM.

Totally agree. It's an unfortunate fact in today's world that we live each day throwing the dice. Will today be the day that an attack happens to me or close to me? Or close to any innocent people for that matter.

To be caught in a fishbowl during a shooting, with no way to get away, no place to protect myself, just being a human target in a shooting gallery... well thanks but no thanks. I don't accept the premise that we are inherently safer that way.

In the lauderdale instance a security vulnerability was exploited. Good people who can legally carry weren't, and the nutcase ******* who decided to shoot innocent people used our own rules against us.

Me too Mblanc, I am also glad I live in a state where I am given options for my own self protection. I carry. Always.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 7th, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Mblanc likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mblanc View Post
    I was in target standing in line when I heard the words airport and shooting. I'm glad that I live in a state where good citizens are not denied the right to defend themselves. Lethal force is all too much of a reality in this day and age. If just one armed citizen were there, perhaps this tragedy might have been abated.

Except that in spite of what I was previously led to believe, the shooting took place at yet another FOL gun-free zone.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Except that in spite of what I was previously led to believe, the shooting took place at yet another FOL gun-free zone.
    Yeah, and they exist as a response to incidents like this. To me that's pouring salt in the wound. Not only do we have to swallow domestic terrorism, we have to watch our liberties slowly eroding in the aftermath. It sickens and infuriates me that instead of the government inspiring the self reliance that this country was founded on, they continue this nanny state agenda.
    LeanHard and Mike1956 like this.

It's unfortunate to say the least. The baggage claim area is a place where you can legally carry in many states, but who's going to be armed when you just got off a plane and are still waiting on your baggage which probably contains your defensive tool.

It's my belief that if a building or company prohibits you from carrying a defensive tool then they should be liable for your protection or the lack there of. I think Tennessee just passed a law similar although it doesn't cover airports.
    neil456 likes this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

I was thinking the same thing Lean, almost wrote it too. They should have a serious security presence in these gun free zones.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanHard View Post
    It's unfortunate to say the least. The baggage claim area is a place where you can legally carry in many states, but who's going to be armed when you just got off a plane and are still waiting on your baggage which probably contains your defensive tool.

It's my belief that if a building or company prohibits you from carrying a defensive tool then they should be liable for your protection or the lack there of. I think Tennessee just passed a law similar although it doesn't cover airports.
    As long as the federal felonious gun-free zones remain, that isn't going to happen.
    LeanHard likes this.

Ed Koch

The problem is you stated you were standing in line at Target, a company that in 2014 stated that they wanted no guns in their stores, and specifically called out concealed carry as included in that policy. I haven't shopped there since . . .

"Target spokesman Molly Snyder told the Wire that they are “requesting that people do not carry any firearms in our stores, including concealed carry. ... (Businesses have the right to ban guns on their premises, even in states that allow people to carry licensed firearms in public). Jul 3, 2014

Speak for yourself. What happened in FL is NOT why I carry. Even though the media hypes up situations like that, more people got murdered in common crimes that day than in that airport. If I am around when a guy opens up with a rifle, I am "beatin' feet" armed or not. There have been situations where armed defenders have made a difference, but overall the track record of that is not good. Putting distance and hard objects between you and the shooter is usually the most reliable option to save your life. Also, I recently saw four DHS people with ARs and MPs in my mid-sized home airport. If I take on some shooter with my EDC, they are going to be shooting at him and at me.

I think too many people have been internalizing movies like "Die Hard." That's not real life.
    9MMare likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_308 View Post
    The problem is you stated you were standing in line at Target, a company that in 2014 stated that they wanted no guns in their stores, and specifically called out concealed carry as included in that policy. I haven't shopped there since . . .

"Target spokesman Molly Snyder told the Wire that they are “requesting that people do not carry any firearms in our stores, including concealed carry. ... (Businesses have the right to ban guns on their premises, even in states that allow people to carry licensed firearms in public). Jul 3, 2014
    They sure do. It's private property. I wasn't aware of that policy.

VIP Member
    Let's also remember that while even if it was legal to carry there, the vast majority of the people in the baggage claim area just got off a plane, and wouldn't be armed anyway. Sure there were likely some there picking up passengers, but I'd bet it was a pretty small percentage, >5%.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mblanc View Post

Edit: Wasn't aware that the baggage claim is a gun free zone. Smh.
    I have many reasons for carrying. You have briefly touched on one of them.

Ed Koch

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Speak for yourself. What happened in FL is NOT why I carry. Even though the media hypes up situations like that, more people got murdered in common crimes that day than in that airport. If I am around when a guy opens up with a rifle, I am "beatin' feet" armed or not. There have been situations where armed defenders have made a difference, but overall the track record of that is not good. Putting distance and hard objects between you and the shooter is usually the most reliable option to save your life. Also, I recently saw four DHS people with ARs and MPs in my mid-sized home airport. If I take on some shooter with my EDC, they are going to be shooting at him and at me.

I think too many people have been internalizing movies like "Die Hard." That's not real life.
    Okay pal, that's what you would do in that scenario and that's fine. I wrote 'we' as in more than just myself. It wasn't the final word on why everyone in the world carries. There are a lot of ways a crises could play out and I don't presume to know them all from the comfort of my keyboard. You make valid points, especially that running away is the best choice, but I'm talking about a scenario where I can't beat my feet and retreat or a scenario where you make that gut call. You see an oppportunity and it feels right to engage so that you can spare others. I think you would draw down at that moment too jmf552. I think anyone would. If DHS takes me out without warning during that process well that's just shoyt luck for me. I'll roll those dice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Let's also remember that while even if it was legal to carry there, the vast majority of the people in the baggage claim area just got off a plane, and wouldn't be armed anyway. Sure there were likely some there picking up passengers, but I'd bet it was a pretty small percentage, >5%.
    I was talking to a friend of mine and was telling him that its kind of funny that when I travel to states with reciprocity and baggage claim isn't a gun free zone I do the exact same thing, go to the bathroom and arm up. The difference being I walk out the door afterwords and nobody is the wiser.

Sponsored Links