You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... - Page 2

You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

This is a discussion on You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You hit the ground with daughter at the first shot as the OP stated. Didn't you draw on moving to the floor? If you didn't ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

Sponsor
    You hit the ground with daughter at the first shot as the OP stated. Didn't you draw on moving to the floor? If you didn't and he's 50 feet from you, going for that belted 1911 may be just enough movement to get his attention directly on you while you're writhing around trying to draw it from prone?

Shots fired close by? I know how I react to loud noises close by, I'm moving. If where I'm standing is x, x can't keep up with me.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

My first and primary priority is to ensure the safety of my loved ones. There is a danger of pulling a gun after shots have rang out that you will be tagged as one of the BGs and perhaps another DefensiveCarry member will plug you with their S&W 9mm Shield.
    If it came to a point that the BG posed an immanent threat to my loved ones, I would not hesitate to fire and stop the threat. At that point I would rotate my head like an owl an determine if any more threats existed. If not, I would place my weapon on the ground an stand there for the authorities to arrive. hey will most likely initially assume you are the BG, be prepared for that.
    Bottom line, I would try not to engage unless absolutely necessary to defend my family and then I would do so without a moments hesitation.

oops you said 50 feet.. I misread that.

If cover is available, move to cover and fire on the threat. If cover is not available, go prone and fire on the target. My hope would be that any missed shots would be directed upward
    AzQkr likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    In most of these hypothetical scenarios, I would say grab my daughter and run, because if people choose not to protect themselves, that's not my problem. My daughters safety and my safety are my priority. Given that this is a location where people are not strictly forbidden from carrying, but the rules make it difficult for the vast majority of people to be armed, ideally I would get my daughter somewhere that she will be safe, and at that point when she is somewhere that is somewhat safe, I will engage the shooter if possible.

This is exactly what I would do. I could care less about my life in that situation, but my daughter's life is my 100% focus and priority.

I would probably NOT return to engage the shooter. By that point....I rush back, draw my weapon in plain clothes and likely take one from a Cop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You hit the ground with daughter at the first shot as the OP stated. Didn't you draw on moving to the floor? If you didn't and he's 50 feet from you, going for that belted 1911 may be just enough movement to get his attention directly on you while you're writhing around trying to draw it from prone?

Shots fired close by? I know how I react to loud noises close by, I'm moving. If where I'm standing is x, x can't keep up with me.
    One thing you didn't mention is that shooting from the prone will put your rounds on an upward trajectory, lessening the likelihood of hitting bystanders.
    AzQkr and 1911srule like this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

I'm not John Wick either, but Jack Reacher would grab his daughter, hop on the carousel, cover her body with his, and return fire until the belt returned them both...into the bowels of the airport (then administer any required first aid).
    Havok likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    These active shooter threads reinforce to me that very few, even among those who go armed, are able, willing and equipped to engage an active shooter. I know two guys who have actually stopped an active shooter while taking fire. One, Andy Brown engaged his AK-equipped adversary with a 9mm Beretta, hitting and killing him from a range of seventy-two yards. The other, Brandon Moore, wounded and stopped his assailant, also firing an AK, from a distance of about seventy yards. Had either of them refused to engage, countless others would have fallen victim to the shooters.
    AzQkr, Eric357, StevePVB and 3 others like this.

Don Collier, Fury

Guess I'll continue with my defensive training classes. I certainly would like to be armed in the baggage area--but not currently legally possible. But if I were. Really. Would everyone hit the deck? Would the shooter be standing and shooting with no one around him? Would certainly be the best case but probably not realistic and you certainly would not want to be responsive for collateral damage.
    Bob
    -------
    Retired USAF CMSgt (1971-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    These active shooter threads reinforce to me that very few, even among those who go armed, are able, willing and equipped to engage an active shooter. I know two guys who have actually stopped an active shooter while taking fire. One, Andy Brown engaged his AK-equipped adversary with a 9mm Beretta, hitting and killing him from a range of seventy-two yards. The other, Brandon Moore, wounded and stopped his assailant, also firing an AK, from a distance of about seventy yards. Had either of them refused to engage, countless others would have fallen victim to the shooters.
    While I'm equipped and able to engage on others behalf, I readily admit I'm not necessarily willing to. The majority of adults can legally carry to defend themselves but choose not to. That is their choice, and choices have consequences. Terribly poor planning on someone else's part doesn't necessitate a crisis response on my part, and I don't feel obligated to put myself and my family at risk for those who actively make it difficult for me to carry daily.

If there's opportunity to grab my family and escape, that's what we're doing. I understand and respect chivalry and the willingness of some to intervene for others, but I've also seen Good Samaritans' lives destroyed by our society because of their actions. No thanks.
    AzQkr, Daspoon78 and Eric.Kennett like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Moderator
    The Phoenix airports have no restriction on carrying in the unsecured areas, so I would be armed in the baggage claim area if I'm picking someone up. At the sound of gunfire I'd be getting loved one(s) toward the exit ASAP but looking to see if the threat is pointed or headed in my direction.
    AzQkr, rcsoftexas and chp1911 like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    While I'm equipped and able to engage on others behalf, I readily admit I'm not necessarily willing to. The majority of adults can legally carry to defend themselves but choose not to. That is their choice, and choices have consequences. Terribly poor planning on someone else's part doesn't necessitate a crisis response on my part, and I don't feel obligated to put myself and my family at risk for those who actively make it difficult for me to carry daily.

If there's opportunity to grab my family and escape, that's what we're doing. I understand and respect chivalry and the willingness of some to intervene for others, but I've also seen Good Samaritans' lives destroyed by our society because of their actions. No thanks.
    I have no doubt that your outlook is much more commonly-held than mine. Experience often formulates our moral and ethical imperatives. I have personally had two friends die who might well have been saved by onlookers who instead did nothing as they died. I don't think I could live with myself if I were to do the same while others died before me. My conscience simply wouldn't allow it.
    Eric357 and rcsoftexas like this.

Don Collier, Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have no doubt that your outlook is much more commonly-held than mine. Experience often formulates our moral and ethical imperatives. I have personally had two friends die who might well have been saved by onlookers who instead did nothing as they died. I don't think I could live with myself if I were to do the same while others died before me. My conscience simply wouldn't allow it.
    I'm afraid I'm with you.. I couldn't live with myself if I watched others die and I had the ability to stop it.. Carrying, in my mind, is a responsibility I took, when I decided to get the license, to be a sheepdog..

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    I'm afraid I'm with you.. I couldn't live with myself if I watched others die and I had the ability to stop it.. Carrying, in my mind, is a responsibility I took, when I decided to get the license, to be a sheepdog..
    Consider that sheepdogs DO retire eventually. Consider myself a retired sheepdog [ though I don't believe in the term as it's commonly used ] after having spent 28 years on the streets making other peoples business my business. Having protected charges professionally across the US for a decade or so.

Could I still be an unknown to me someone's protector under a certain set of circumstances? Absolutely, but I no longer hold the mindset that because I'm armed, I automatically need to run to gunfire. BTW, have you yourself ever run TO gunfire and engaged? Any experience in being that "sheepdog"? Or like most, is it a mental exercise that's not been experienced and survived?

No one takes on the responsibility of being anothers sheepdog simply by exercising their 2a, even as you may believe that's your destiny, it's a choice not a responsibility. I'm retired, I now longer run to gunfire, I did my time as a protector [ and never considered myself a dog, any dog, in doing so.

And you may have the tools to stop it, but how would one ever predict they had the ability to stop it until the after action report?
    gasmitty, graydude and Poppy42 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post

There is usually a lot of stuff in airports aside from maybe the long walkways between terminals. I would take the extra steps to get out of sight/behind something. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
    This is exactly what I would do. I could care less about my life in that situation, but my daughter's life is my 100% focus and priority.

I would probably NOT return to engage the shooter. By that point....I rush back, draw my weapon in plain clothes and likely take one from a Cop.
    If I have to move a significant distance, then yes I absolutely agree. i was only saying if there is a nearby restroom or restaurant kitchen or some place in the immediate area where she can hide out.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

I don't carry to be any kind of a furry four legged creature. I carry to have a tool that I can use to reduce risk to myself and my loved ones. In the active shooter class I took, they reviewed five of the high profile shootings in the last 5 years or so. While non-LEO armed defenders have had some success, the track record of that solution has not been great overall. Add to that, the last two airports I was in had cops walking around with ARs. Shooting starts, I wade in with my gun trying to be a hero and my chances of getting shot by the cops are as good as the bad guy's.

The people who save the most lives in an active shooter situations, time and time again, are people who show leadership in helping others get to safety or shelter. One thing about an airport: There are plenty of places to run and plenty of places to hide. It's like a fire: If the building is in flames, you don't try play fireman, you get people out.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links