You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... - Page 4

You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

This is a discussion on You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr Consider that sheepdogs DO retire eventually. Consider myself a retired sheepdog [ though I don't believe in the term as it's ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Consider that sheepdogs DO retire eventually. Consider myself a retired sheepdog [ though I don't believe in the term as it's commonly used ] after having spent 28 years on the streets making other peoples business my business. Having protected charges professionally across the US for a decade or so.

Could I still be an unknown to me someone's protector under a certain set of circumstances? Absolutely, but I no longer hold the mindset that because I'm armed, I automatically need to run to gunfire. BTW, have you yourself ever run TO gunfire and engaged? Any experience in being that "sheepdog"?
    As a matter of fact, back in my 20's, I worked in a bar.. There was a biker gang that came in and started shooting at a rival gang while I was out back wrestling a keg. When I ran in to find out what was going on, I caught one in my right calf. My friend was laying on the floor, in a pool of blood. I was somehow able to drag him out the back door.. I didn't have to.. I could've just stayed outside... He got it in the back and was paralyzed from the neck down his entire adult life. His wife divorced him and I was his caretaker for quite a number of years. He's since passed away but that day will always stay with me.. That's as close to running into fire as I've ever been and hope I never have to again..That being said... If I had to do it again, I would.
    Sorry.. It's not military or law enforcement service, which I thank you for... But I do know the fear of being shot at.
    AzQkr and Mike1956 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperj View Post
    As a matter of fact, back in my 20's, I worked in a bar.. There was a biker gang that came in and started shooting at a rival gang while I was out back wrestling a keg. When I ran in to find out what was going on, I caught one in my right calf. My friend was laying on the floor, in a pool of blood. I was somehow able to drag him out the back door.. I didn't have to.. I could've just stayed outside... He got it in the back and was paralyzed from the neck down his entire adult life. His wife divorced him and I was his caretaker for quite a number of years. He's since passed away but that day will always stay with me.. That's as close to running into fire as I've ever been and hope I never have to again..That being said... If I had to do it again, I would.
    Sorry.. It's not military or law enforcement service, which I thank you for... But I do know the fear of being shot at.
    You sound like a good and honorable man, and a true friend.

As odd as it may seem, the thought of getting shot and the physical pain and effects aren't a concern of mine. The fundamental issue for me is I've lost trust in our society and am more concerned that if I stand up for a stranger with lethal force that good deed will not go unpunished, with costs inflicted on my family that I don't want to incur. Who is John Galt?

I know there are others who feel a strong sense of obligation to their fellow man, and in most ways I do too. Going into a burning building or diving into a frozen river to rescue someone drowning are things I would still do without hesitation, but I'm not pulling a trigger on someone unless: it's part of my military mission, or it's in defense of me, my family, or friends who would do the same for me.
    AzQkr, jumperj and Mike1956 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

50' shoot
    50 yards depends. I can't run, could take cover? If I can make a clear shot; game over🍻
    rcsoftexas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    GO TRUMP ! HILLARY-PRISON NOT PROMOTION
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

So below is the moment the gunman pulled out his firearm and opened fire. I will never tell anyone what to do and even I would probably duck and run. People's first instinct is to run.

But there were people behind him and I hope that I would and there definitely was a chance after the shooting started to run up behind him and punch him in the back of the head or knees or grab him in a choke hold. He seems to be focused forward and from the short clip that I watched no shots were fired at the people behind him. I would think after 5-8 seconds it's too late because he would hear you coming but it definitely could possibly been a option that we could all consider if we were unarmed and in this position.

You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....-20170108_110331.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlockanubis View Post
    So below is the moment the gunman pulled out his firearm and opened fire. I will never tell anyone what to do and even I would probably duck and run. People's first instinct is to run.

But there were people behind him and I hope that I would and there definitely was a chance after the shooting started to run up behind him and punch him in the back of the head or knees or grab him in a choke hold. He seems to be focused forward and from the short clip that I watched no shots were fired at the people behind him. I would think after 5-8 seconds it's too late because he would hear you coming but it definitely could possibly been a option that we could all consider if we were unarmed and in this position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170108_110331.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	168433

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Here is a bit better view:

Video of First Shots Fired At Fort Lauderdale Airport | TMZ.com

It's disturbing to see everybody simply drop to the floor in response. Create distance and/or find cover as quickly as possible.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is a bit better view:

Video of First Shots Fired At Fort Lauderdale Airport | TMZ.com

It's disturbing to see everybody simply drop to the floor in response. Create distance and/or find cover as quickly as possible.
    Those people at 11 seconds are far too slow to react, 3 of them are still upright and not moving at 13 seconds. As I mentioned before, reacting to a loud noise near me results in the X not being able to keep up. The guy at the left side of the screen just stands there, and never really "runs" anywhere, but is only seen moving off camera slowly.

Question is, why are people taking 2+ seconds to "move" to a location they believe may be safety/more safe than out in the open.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Those people at 11 seconds are far too slow to react, 3 of them are still upright and not moving at 13 seconds. As I mentioned before, reacting to a loud noise near me results in the X not being able to keep up. The guy at the left side of the screen just stands there, and never really "runs" anywhere, but is only seen moving off camera slowly.

Question is, why are people taking 2+ seconds to "move" to a location they believe may be safety/more safe than out in the open.
    I believe a couple things are occurring. First, their suspension of disbelief is taking entirely too long. Understandable, given that this is likely the first times in any of their lives that they have seen such an event unfold before them. Second, once they do grasp that this is bad, they have no idea about what to do to remove themselves from harm's way.
    UrsusMedius likes this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Sponsor
    Their assessment of danger is lacking. Their response to danger is dismal, at best. I believe they are what many refer to as sheeple. I'd also gander a guess that it's the first time many of them have ever heard gun shots.
    rcsoftexas and Mike1956 like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have decided long ago that I will never let something like this happen if I can help it. If I have the chance to stop the shooter I will. I would tell my family members to get out then try and stop the shooter by any means necessary.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Distinguished Member
    If there is no line of exit.... I find it Highly questionable that everyone's response is to lay down on their guts. Is it an effort to protect vital organs? Ever tried to look around in this position? If we lay down it will be on our backs. Two packets of ketchup, One visibly dripping from my daughter's forehead and one from mine. The shooter does not want to waste his ammo. Gun in my hand hidden from view. God willing he is mine somewhere during that 45 seconds. God willing, my shot will be one of those perfect shots you take at the range. You know the ones where you can feel the bullet leaving the chamber and track it, almost like you physically with your mind, guide it right to the center X. Feels so good.

Hopefully, I could stop there and not start tracking with my .45 all the imbeciles who are videoing the aftermath for profit. You know, the ones who could have rushed him as it began. What vagabonds....... sheep. They are the politically correct gun anti's filled with crocodile tears that they were spared. Then I will pray we both can leave without notice.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagobill View Post
    50' shoot
    50 yards depends. I can't run, could take cover? If I can make a clear shot; game over
    Nice avatar!
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would seek to create space between me and the shooter while giving my daughter judicious cover fire so she could run for safety. There is no reason for me to and my daughter to drop and stay down as that may not end well and I'd rather both of us have a reasonable chance at determining our future. Assuming my daughter made it out to safety I'd continue to engage and close on the shooter.
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Chief of Income Acquisition (wife is Chief of Purchasing - of course)
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nice avatar!
    Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links