You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... - Page 5

You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

This is a discussion on You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out..... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Big_John Fair enough.....cause I think if the shooter is only 15-20 yards away, we have no other option than to draw and ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: You're at baggage claim and a gun shot rings out.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
    Fair enough.....cause I think if the shooter is only 15-20 yards away, we have no other option than to draw and shoot.

Ok......it 50 yards......or even further down the terminal.

You have the option to grab your daughter and run.........or defend the defenseless..... What do you do?
    Same as earlier, just what Shrike6 said. Shoot him in the head after taking cover and firing from a supported position. Or prone, whatever presents itself, and yes I can make that hit.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

I am speechless at the lady in the white blouse that "hid" behind the wire cart. Laying down o the floor pretending to be dead would be better than that. Consider the shooter was last seen moving off to the right, he would be to the lady's left and she is in plain sight.

VIP Member
    At 50 feet both I and my daughter are going to move and shoot. At 50 yards we both run for cover and once behind cover wait till we can make the shot. My hands tremble significantly - same reason I have to retype almost every word on the keyboard. Out of 10 shots at a man sized target at 25 yards I hit it 9 times somewhere in the neighborhood of center mass so no way I shoot at 50 yards. Neither of us could let a bunch of innocents get slaughtered so we wait till he gets within a range where we are sure of a hit and ambush the perp. If I could talk her into leaving I would. She is mother to 2 young kids and I'd certainly want her out of there. Me? I'm old, have a ridiculous list of med problems, had a good life and if I get taken out stopping him, that's a great ending to my story. It's his problem that I have nothing to lose.

Of course my response takes into account that she is an adult, and a better shot than I at this time in our lives.
    AzQkr, Mike1956, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    At 50 feet both I and my daughter are going to move and shoot. At 50 yards we both run for cover and once behind cover wait till we can make the shot. My hands tremble significantly - same reason I have to retype almost every word on the keyboard. Out of 10 shots at a man sized target at 25 yards I hit it 9 times somewhere in the neighborhood of center mass so no way I shoot at 50 yards. Neither of us could let a bunch of innocents get slaughtered so we wait till he gets within a range where we are sure of a hit and ambush the perp. If I could talk her into leaving I would. She is mother to 2 young kids and I'd certainly want her out of there. Me? I'm old, have a ridiculous list of med problems, had a good life and if I get taken out stopping him, that's a great ending to my story. It's his problem that I have nothing to lose.

Of course my response takes into account that she is an adult, and a better shot than I at this time in our lives.
    You are much better than you think you are. Nine out of ten COM at twenty five will translate to at least four or five out of ten on the torso at fifty. If you are firing from the prone, misses should be high for anyone further down range.
    farsidefan1 and Sportymonk like this.
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Quote Originally Posted by Sportymonk View Post
    I am speechless at the lady in the white blouse that "hid" behind the wire cart. Laying down o the floor pretending to be dead would be better than that. Consider the shooter was last seen moving off to the right, he would be to the lady's left and she is in plain sight.
    Why not just turn and run in the opposite direction of the shooter there were probably other exits from the baggage
    Area or a secure place to take cover...geez
    9MMare and Sportymonk like this.

The actions of these people is typical of most who haven't been shot at before. I'll admit there have been times I've had this conversation with myself: "Is this really happening? Yeah, this really is happening. Ok, cover, move, now."
    Sportymonk and ghost tracker like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member

First thing that crosses my mind - I can't wait to start a thread on Defensive Carry about this!

I digress...

...it all depends.

If I have a clear shot or a chance to ambush the shooter or he's focused in the opposite direction? I'm taking the shot.

He engages me directly? I'm shooting back til it goes click.

50 yards away? I'm probably going home helping those I can along the way.

It just all depends.

I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I also think about what I would do after in this situation...I think I'd holster my gun, walk away and call 911. Last thing I want is to get popped by a responder who thinks I'm the bad guy with a gun...just more food for thought.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Just like the people in Ft. Lauderdale did, run like hell.
    9MMare likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    Just like the people in Ft. Lauderdale did, run like hell.
    You must not have seen the video...
    “I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you.”

Ed Koch

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    Last thing I want is to get popped by a responder who thinks I'm the bad guy with a gun...just more food for thought.
    Or a DefensiveCarry.com member who just came upon the scene.!! (Half kidding and half serious)
    RebelSoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petroleum 1 View Post
    Why not just turn and run in the opposite direction of the shooter there were probably other exits from the baggage
    Area or a secure place to take cover...geez
    Sometimes, attacks are set up to channel those fleeing into Kill zones.
    RebelSoul and 9MMare like this.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    ...there have been times I've had this conversation with myself: "Is this really happening? Yeah, this really is happening. Ok, cover, move, now."
    Me too! But, luckily, it's always been a very, VERY short...self-discussion.
    RebelSoul likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Bataclan Theater in France was this exact scenario...gunmen at exits waiting for patrons to flee...
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    BBob, have I mentioned how lucky I feel that you're (generally) on...MY side?
    Bad Bob and graydude like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    BBob, have I mentioned how lucky I feel that you're (generally) on...MY side?
    We only disagree on little issues.
    ghost tracker likes this.

Amen

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links