When should you take a threat seriously?

This is a discussion on When should you take a threat seriously? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's a scenario that I haven't thought about until today. A chick at work hit my car and without insurance, she got the bill for ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: When should you take a threat seriously?

It's a scenario that I haven't thought about until today. A chick at work hit my car and without insurance, she got the bill for the damage. She threatened (said, she will take it to the street) if I don't tell my insurance to stop harassing her. Her fault she hit my car. She said she can look me up and find me. Sure enough, a quick google showed my address on whitepages.com.

What would you do if someone who has threatened you approached you in public?

GR
    Inform law enforcement?
    Record her saying this stuff next time?

Quote Originally Posted by GR View Post
    Inform law enforcement?
    Record her saying this stuff next time?
    Same, Same here and if she wants to escalate it then file a restraining order, start a paper trail and if she or her cohorts wants to try anything you have proof of a threat.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This will work most of the time. to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulless80 View Post
    A chick at work.....She threatened (said, she will take it to the street)........ She said she can look me up and find me.
    You work with her? How about telling your employer so the piece of trash can be fired for threatening you? No need for that nonsense. Put her back on food stamps.

Make an official record of the threats. Before recording. make sure that the uninformed recording of a person is legal, and would be admissible in your state. I doubt that this rises to anything beyond harassment. In the event that you end up using some force of some kind, a record would go along way to indicate that you tried to handle the situation through the legal system.
    Hoganbeg and OldVet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    You work with her? How about telling your employer so the piece of trash can be fired for threatening you? No need for that nonsense. Put her back on food stamps.
    This^^^

You work with her? After you report the credible threat to your local police, you should definitely notify your company's HR dept that you've filed a police report against the coworker due to credible threats she made due to an accident she caused ON COMPANY PROPERTY. The parking lot at work is company property. I'm assuming she also made these threats on COMPANY PROPERTY. Let them know this.
    Pittpa, mr.stuart and 9MMare like this.

Distinguished Member Array dV8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Same, Same here and if she wants to escalate it then file a restraining order, start a paper trail and if she or her cohorts wants to try anything you have proof of a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    ...and while informing these copy your insurance company.
    9MMare likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Renaldow View Post
    This^^^

You work with her? After you report the credible threat to your local police, you should definitely notify your company's HR dept that you've filed a police report against the coworker due to credible threats she made due to an accident she caused ON COMPANY PROPERTY. The parking lot at work is company property. I'm assuming she also made these threats on COMPANY PROPERTY. Let them know this.
    DITTO on this.....she wants your life miserable, then give her back her own dose of Karma....:)
    Eagleks likes this.

Sponsor
    When it's a serious threat.
    Struckat likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I would do as suggested, inform:
    • LE
    • employer
    • insurance co.

I'd also let my neighbors know, so they can watch for anything unusual (I tend to worry about my animals).

At work I would avoid this person if possible and definitely try not to be alone with her. Not out of fear, but to avoid confrontation and any dishonest claims from her.

In general I would go in the opposite direction if I saw her outside of work, like parking lot, store, etc. Most especially if you are carrying. By no means do you want anything to escalate into a confrontation that could lead to (legitimate) need for lethal force...it is not worth the hours and dollars from your life.

Good luck to you. I hope it blows over quickly.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Record everything you can. Time, date, witnesses, location, what was said. She was breaking the law by driving without insurance. Your boss is required to give you a drama free work place. If she bothers you at work, report to HR and your boss, and to the police .
    It's serious at the first threat, in this crazy world.

Note: you can look her up also, on the police report for the accident.

As a former HR professional, I agree with all the above:
    1. Document all conversations you have had with her, right now
    2. File a police report, They won't do anything, but it's on record. Don't go to HR first, they will try to talk you out of going to the police.
    3. Make a harassment report to HR, letting them know a police report is on file and that you intend to file for a restraining order (even if you don't actually do so). HR has to be kicked in the backside to do something, but this will force their hand.
    4. You might consider actually filing for a restraining order. They are BS and you might not get one, but make sure she will knows you've filed for one.
    5. Have your lawyer send her a letter outlining all the steps that have been taken and let her know that if she make further threats and/or does not pay off your insurance company immediately, further legal action will be taken.
    mr.stuart and msgt/ret like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    As a former HR professional, I agree with all the above:
    1. Document all conversations you have had with her, right now
    2. File a police report, They won't do anything, but it's on record. Don't go to HR first, they will try to talk you out of going to the police.
    3. Make a harassment report to HR, letting them know a police report is on file and that you intend to file for a restraining order (even if you don't actually do so). HR has to be kicked in the backside to do something, but this will force their hand.
    4. You might consider actually filing for a restraining order. They are BS and you might not get one, but make sure she will knows you've filed for one.
    5. Have your lawyer send her a letter outlining all the steps that have been taken and let her know that if she make further threats and/or does not pay off your insurance company immediately, further legal action will be taken.
    If the threat was made on company property, HR is the go to for actual relief.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I'd me more concerned about why a "chick" will feel safe to threaten me than any of the rest.
    OldVet likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links