Firearm loading station?

Firearm loading station?

This is a discussion on Firearm loading station? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching an old episode of the TV series Homeland a couple days ago and saw something interesting. The episode was set in the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Firearm loading station?

Firearm loading station?

I was watching an old episode of the TV series Homeland a couple days ago and saw something interesting.

The episode was set in the US Embassy in Pakistan and the main character, CIA operative Carry Matheson, was about to leave the embassy with a firearm.

There was a barrel in the CIA area with "Firearm loading and unloading station" written on it.

It was a barrel, with about a 10 inch diameter hole in the top, and presumably sand in the bottom to catch accidental discharges.

She inserted a magazine in her weapon, then stuck it into the hole and racked the slide to chamber a round and then pulled it out and holstered it.

Presumably the same thing in reverse is done to remove a chambered round when returning to the Embassy before putting the weapon back into the armory.

Is think kind of thing common?

For all I know, every police station in the country has one of these.

Seemed like a good idea.

Used them on some military bases in the Far East and South East Asia 1967--1971 After that never saw one again until that Homeland episode.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    I've only been in a couple embassies and have never seen one. I didn't necessarily go everywhere in the embassy and it may also depend on the location of the embassy.

ETA: I have seen similar things elsewhere though.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Never been to an embassy but we did have clearing barrels next to the Command Post and Armory.
    dangerranger likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

It's not a bad idea for unloading and clearing a weapon.
    I have known some to dry fire into a sand can.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

In theater I despised these things. Here we have Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines being entrusted to have a weapon locked and loaded when on mission but we tell them to turn it off because they come on the FOB. NDs happened at these clearing barrels far too often. We kept our crap locked and loaded all the time but when visiting most other FOBs we had to clear at the barrel when entering.
    Chief of Income Acquisition (wife is Chief of Purchasing - of course)
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

It was a standard thing for us in U.S. Army Europe in the 70s and 80s... We pulled armed warhead guard on the Pershing missile launch pads at the various combat alert sites, and a clearing barrel was posted at the exit of the exclusion area, and various other buildings. Woe unto you if you actually fired a round into the barrel, weapons were supposed to have magazine inserted, but the chamber clear. Still an old habit with me; I almost always carry the same way even now, loaded, chamber clear.
    Name:  Pad 1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  43.6 KB
    RemMod597 and 5lima30ret like this.

VIP Member
    The local prison complex has them at every gate on the property.
    5lima30ret, gen3 and msgt/ret like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Yankee Marshal can be irritating at times but this is a good idea !
    msgt/ret, jttar and graydude like this.

Concealed carry is a genie which will not get back in the bottle, no matter how hard the antis might try. ~ Mike1956

Senior Moderator
    Clearing barrels were common sights on the PBs, FOBs and bases I was at on deployments. They were also common at stateside armories.

I keep a 5 gallon bucket full of sand next to my safe, to serve the same purpose.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The police department I retired from had one in the men's and women's locker room's and the armory. We also had one at most of military armories I went to (USAF & US Army). One Navy base that I was TDY at didn't.
    cal44 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified
    Active Fraternal Order of Police member
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

pd that i worked had one in every police facility
    5lima30ret likes this.

All AF SFS armories have clearing barrels as part of the daily issue / turn in process. Otherwise, guns are kept loaded and holstered through the shift.

At home we have kitty litter buckets, with built in lids that help keep things tidy and dust free, filled with dirt near all the safes. The guns are normally stored loaded here and locked up that way, but when cleaning or needing to unload/load the barrel is pointed into a dirt bucket, just in case.
    5lima30ret and cal44 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Clearing barrels and exchange on Shelby.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've made a few of these, usually a 10 or 12" pipe welded to a base at 45 degrees. they usually stand 30 to 36" off the floor and have about 24" of sand in them. The theory is that it will contain the muzzle if the gun went wild keeping the muzzle in place.

But a stack of newspaper or even magazines will also stop a bullet safely. Next to my bench in the garage I have a bucket of sand, in the house its a recycling bin. DR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links