Defensive Carry banner

Scenario: "That Gun Ain't Loaded!"

13K views 134 replies 96 participants last post by  TimM 
#1 ·
From the Wabash Files:

A while back an aquaintance of mine was walking to his girlfriend's house.

A known street tough accosted him, pulling a knife and telling him that he was going to cut him.

This aquaintance pulled a 1911 and aimed it at him, verbally warning him to back off while putting distance between him and the threat.

The tough looked at it, stopped, and said, "That gun ain't loaded!" He then began advancing again.

If this scenario happened to you, what would you do? I'd likely shoot, giving controlled pairs to COM until the threat was no longer present.

What would be your solution?

I'll fill you in on the resolution and aftermath after all who wish to participate, have.

Josh <><

See less See more
#4 ·
Boy, that's a toughie.
If he's close enough he will see that my gun is loaded, I carry a wheelie. :smile:

Biker :tumbleweed:

#19 ·
no no...I fired until the threat no longer presented itself....thats what the instructor told me to say...while we were practicing two rounds center mass..one to the head in case of body armor. :yup:

#9 ·
I believe appropriate response would be...

2 CM, 1 H

#10 ·
Threatened to cut me, with knife in hand, advancing on me, even after being a warned to stop. HMMMM, let me see, what would I do...... Okay, I know, SHOOT HIM UNTIL HE NO LONGER IS ADVANCING WITH HIS KNIFE,then call 911, after I reloaded and keeping him covered from a safe distance, until the law arrived.

#11 ·
No discussion required

Don't see a dicussion point here. Whether he thinks the gun is loaded or not is of no conesequence. Chances are I would have fired on drawing anyway, so the issue would not have come up.

Main thing is, is he a threat? If yes then shoot. Or maybe I should take the time to rack out a round and show it to him while he sticks me with the knife, takes my gun and rapes my girlfriend?

#49 ·
Don't see a dicussion point here. Whether he thinks the gun is loaded or not is of no conesequence. Chances are I would have fired on drawing anyway, so the issue would not have come up.

Main thing is, is he a threat? If yes then shoot. Or maybe I should take the time to rack out a round and show it to him while he sticks me with the knife, takes my gun and rapes my girlfriend?
Yep.

I am thinking the exact same thing.
As he has a knife in hand he is already presented himself as being a _highly_ dangerous person. This is a no joke don't treat it mildly situation/scenario.

Tap to the pelvic girdle or upper thigh/femur if drawing and shooting from the hip/low position and sapped for reaction time.
Otherwise tap tap at CoM while retreating backward at an angle oblique to him, if at all possible (!), to gain distance from him if reaction time is great enough to allow for a full pull from the holster and an optimal one or two fisted draw & sight.

Again though a person of this mindset who takes such an action in addition to the as stated statement of disregard that is someone who is very dangerous and should be treated as one would a pit viper.
Stop it before it stops you.

- Janq

P.S. - Warning shots are fubar. Dude got off very lucky on both counts, with the BG first and then again with the cops.
Carrying in condition 3 and all thats just nuts. He's lucky he even had time to load his sidearm muchless draw for it. The BG was obviously an amateur.
Shots in the air to come down far and away elsewhere, shots at the ground (to glance and ricochet elsewhere), talking with cops with no attorney present...dude got off and away with luck. He should have bought a lotto ticket that night.
Not nearly anyone muchless everyone can be so fortunate.

#12 ·
Move quickly off the X toward the 5 or 7 o'clock directions. 4-6 shots to COM and, in the unlikely event that he's still continuing to advance, switch to headshots. After that standard after-action drills (check six, tac reload, etc.).

#13 ·
"rule of 21 feet" applies,

someone within 21', with a knife and the desire and intention to cut you will have a very good chance of doing so unless steps are taken.

I would retreat with lateral left or right moves as he was coming, try to keep distance while firing along the way CM.

#17 ·
Seems like a no-brainer if the threat is real enough - in which case I don't think the BG would even have time to ask about the gun's loaded status! :wink:

#18 ·
Seems like we are all in agreement that "That Gun Ain't Loaded!" would make a nice epitaph for BG's tombstone. Allmost poetic. :biggrin2:

#20 ·
That gun ain't loaded...ranks right up there with:

Hey..hold my beer and watch this

usually the last words of someone who makes a BIG mistake

#21 ·
My Response: Excuse me sir, but I am a quality control consultant for the Gene pool of mankind; it has been determined that you are defective merchandise, and require a factory recall

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

"Daddy, he is still twitchin'...Can I shoot 'im now?"

"Go ahead, honey...BANG BANG BANG BANG........

#22 ·
first off, i wouldn't bother to "verbally warn him to back off". i would have put as many rounds in him as i could before he hit the ground.

#26 ·
I tend to agree with everyone else......anyone stupid enough to advance on a gun leveled at them when they have a knife, either wants to die or they are REALLY intent on doing you some real damage. However, in this scenario, I would assume the threat was close enough to warrant a draw on him in the first place, otherwise I would be trying to escape the situation. If it happened to be further away yet there was no chance of escape, would a warning shot actually be somewhat justified? Say he was 30 feet away and had you pinned in. Would one shot into a grass embankment do the job of letting him know that yes you do indeed have it loaded? Yet as I sit here and type that, I realize how stupid it sounds. I guess I am just of the mindset that deadly force should be an absolute last resort but when there is no other choice, you have to do what you have to do.

#35 ·
If it happened to be further away yet there was no chance of escape, would a warning shot actually be somewhat justified?
I think i'd prove to him that the gun was loaded first by firing a warning shot. Taking a life is bad, but beleive you me if the warning shot didn't do the trick i'd find out how well 9mm hollow points really work.
No warning shots... There is nothing to play around with here. Shoot the threat until threat has been stopped.
Totally agree Bark'n! I can not think of any situation where a CCW'er would unholster his gun and fire warning shots.

#27 ·
Sounds like a clear self-defense case from what was given

#28 ·
This aquaintance pulled a 1911 and aimed it at him, verbally warning him to back off while putting distance between him and the threat.

The tough looked at it, stopped, and said, "That gun ain't loaded!" He then began advancing again.
What I'm curious about, is what (if anything) the thug was thinking?! Oh, he goes to the trouble of carrying around a two pound hunk of iron around but no bullets?!

Either he was running for the Darwin awards, or he really meant to say "you won't shoot" it would seem.

-john

#29 ·
How about you take out your cell phone, call 911 (or pretend you are calling 911) and then tell them you need an ambulance, because someone has been shot...

...then see the look on the punk's face.

If he's still staring at you, calling your bluff, retreat (or move away)

If he follows, apply ammo liberally until desired effect. Reload as necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.