Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond - Page 3

Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond

This is a discussion on Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hodad I understand that many people love their pets very much and I respect that. However, the fact that you are willing ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I understand that many people love their pets very much and I respect that. However, the fact that you are willing or even claim to be willing to shoot another human being, no matter how despicable or evil, for kidnapping your dog is disturbing.
    No it's not. It's kind of disturbing that you are not empathetic enough to understand the value some people hold for the non-human companions they are responsible for.

Altho not recognized by law, most companion animals are better contributors to individuals and society than many humans. Almost NONE of them do the harm that humans do. If you have a belief system that declares anything with human DNA as superior to that, that's your choice.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    No it's not. It's kind of disturbing that you are not empathetic enough to understand the value some people hold for the non-human companions they are responsible for.

Altho not recognized by law, most companion animals are better contributors to individuals and society than many humans. Almost NONE of them do the harm that humans do. If you have a belief system that declares anything with human DNA as superior to that, that's your choice.
    Don't tell me let me guess.

You are a card carrying member of PETA right?

Call me crazy, but I do happen the value human life over that of any animal. Are some animals more lovable, useful and smarter than some, maybe even many humans.

Sure they are, but that does not change the fact that they are still just animals.

As others have posted if you are in a situation where chose your pets life over another persons you are going to go to jail. End of story.

That's the point I was trying to make. Nothing more and nothing less.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    When I am driving one of my vehicles, or even when I am a passenger, my sidearm is ALWAYS carried openly in its holster with the shoulder belt tucked between my body and the gun's grip. ....

You should never carry a gun in a map pocket, glove box, console (I assume by "doorwell" you mean map pocket). The reason for this is if someone steals your car, you not only lost your car but you just gave the perp(s) a loaded firearm. Not a good thing. It is best kept on your person unless the law says otherwise when in your vehicle. And I would strongly advise against pocket carry or the small of your back for its carry as those locations make getting it out and into action more difficult.

Hi SouthernBoy - your comments opened my eyes. Both the carry method while driving and also the issue of the door well (map pocket).

May I ask what your holster is and what normally sits in it? The reason I am asking is that I have not found a hoster comfortable in a seating position. You clearly have thought this through and I definitely absolutely need to improve my method while driving and parking.

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Not really a problem for me as far as access with a seatbelt. I carry 11:00 and cross draw. It's the best way for me with my limitations. I'd love to carry at 3:00 it just doesn't work for me I'd probably wind up dropping my weapon if i had to draw in a hurry. It has its limitation but so dose every other form of carry.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Don't tell me let me guess.

You are a card carrying member of PETA right?

Call me crazy, but I do happen the value human life over that of any animal. Are some animals more lovable, useful and smarter than some, maybe even many humans.

Sure they are, but that does not change the fact that they are still just animals.

As others have posted if you are in a situation where chose your pets life over another persons you are going to go to jail. End of story.

That's the point I was trying to make. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Good for you (the bold). It's your belief. I clearly explained mine...and it has nothing to do with PETA.

I said it wasnt about what was legal so it's not about me going to jail either. It was about ethics. "In real life" most companion animals contribute more to society and individuals than many people. And rarely do harm, again, unlike many people. That is certainly a valid basis on which to form a belief.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    I have had a carjack attempt in downtown Cleveland by two hood rats while sitting in my car in front of my daughters apartment at 11:00pm. They were coming from the front and I initially saw them when they were about 50 yards away slowly walking toward us. I stepped on the brake and put the car into drive, locked the doors and waited. When they split and one approached each side I hit the gas and almost ran the guy on my side over. I did see the guy reaching in his coat as I wizzed past him. Neither one fired at us. (luckily). This was before I carried.

I signed up for my NRA course later that week.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    How would you folks handle the situation (again, assuming you've already decided that your life is in immediate danger and that compliance, in this situation, is not a viable option.)
    With gunfire.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Sponsor
    A tow truck driver in Roxbury, Ma back around 77 had a armed robber jump up on his running board and point a gun at him demanding money. Like some people, including myself many times, he had a handgun resting under his left leg on the seat. Without saying a word, he shot the robber in the face. He said he never looked down, the light turned green and he drove off.

Many times when I'm in a congested/urban area and having to stop at lights/stop signs often, I place my handgun in that location. Many years back I did that regularly while sitting in one location for some time frame on surveillance's or moving through the inner city slum project/s that were numerous in Boston. On two occasions I've muzzled someone at my window and they've backed off.

In this scenario, gun under the left leg, gun pointed at me in a jacking? At any time while appearing to comply and get out, lawful deadly force will be applied. It would have to be as the gun would be in my hand and seen soon enough anyway resulting in his own response.

I adoptred from and followed the tow truck drivers lead, and I'd only worked the streets for a year at that point so it stood me well over the later decades.
    Last edited by AzQkr; January 11th, 2017 at 03:10 PM.
    graydude likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I saw this in the news today and immediately thought of the earlier discussion in this thread. Manatee County woman shot, killed while searching for dog. An apparent anti-social type shot and killed a woman while she sat in a car on the street. While there are several different versions to the story online (she likely took possession of a dog that she owned that was staying at this residence prior to being shot by Mr. Matthews), I think it is clear to all that deadly force was not appropriate in this case. It just goes to show that there are some real nutjobs out there.

Again, I would hope that everyone on this forum reads and understands the laws regarding deadly force wherever they may carry a firearm. Failure to do so or having a misunderstanding of the laws may cost you your freedom. For example, Just because you put up signs around your property doesn't give you the right to shoot someone that comes to your door.

Getting out of your car is another transition. It is one of the times you are most vulnerable. You should be aware of your surroundings at these times especially.
    AzQkr and SouthernBoyVA like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Distinguished Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    Hi SouthernBoy - your comments opened my eyes. Both the carry method while driving and also the issue of the door well (map pocket).

May I ask what your holster is and what normally sits in it? The reason I am asking is that I have not found a hoster comfortable in a seating position. You clearly have thought this through and I definitely absolutely need to improve my method while driving and parking.

Rick
    First off, good for you that you are open to other possibilities.

I have two carry stables from which to select my carry guns; one primary and one secondary. In these stables I place those guns that I deem to best serve my specific purposes for my destinations, itinerary, and a few other factors. And they are dynamic in that I tend to alter some of them due to new purchases and my own perceived requirements. My primary stable mainly consists of two Glock 19's (one gen3 and one gen4), a gen3 Glock 23, an M&P 9c, and an M&P 40c. My secondary stable is smaller and consists of an M&P 9 Shield and a new M&P 45 Shield, though that one could change after I have taken it to the range; which has not happened yet. There is also a Ruger LCP in there but it is rarely used.

As for holsters, my G19/23 Glocks are primarily carried in a Fobus Evolution belt holster or a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster. My M&P 9c and 40c have the same two holsters I just mentioned and usually go in the DeSantis Mini Scabbard. My M&P Shields ride in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster.

When in my vehicles (either my truck or my car) I position my rig to clear the seat belt stationary buckle next to the console by moving the rig a little forward on my body.. as in the 2 or 2:30 position. The gun is openly carried and as I wrote, with the shoulder belt tucked between my body and the gun's grip so that the gun is easy to get to and to draw if need be.

For those rare times that I might remove my gun and put it into something in the car, it is going to be a cup holder sans holster. If it goes into a console (the truck) or a door map pocket, it stays in its holster. But the only time I tend to take it out is if I see something developing and cannot seek an escape. And this has only happened once or twice that I can recall. For times where I cannot carry in a state and am in a motel that has no room safety, I field strip the gun and put the barrel in one zip lock bag and the other parts in another zip lock bag. The one with the barrel goes in my wife's purse while the other parts go hiding in my vehicle. At least that way, if the vehicle is stolen the perp(s) won't get a functioning firearm. I just did this in Savannah last year since that state does not have reciprocity with Virginia.

Hope all of this helps and do feel free to ask any other questions if you wish.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Good for you (the bold). It's your belief. I clearly explained mine...and it has nothing to do with PETA.

I said it wasnt about what was legal so it's not about me going to jail either. It was about ethics. "In real life" most companion animals contribute more to society and individuals than many people. And rarely do harm, again, unlike many people. That is certainly a valid basis on which to form a belief.
    "In real life" human lives take priority of the lives of animals regardless of what your "beliefs" might be.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Sponsor
    "In real life" human lives take priority of the lives of animals regardless of what your "beliefs" might be.
    You're speaking to the way the courts and laws view the priorities, correct?. I would suggest there's people out there who feel many animals lives take priority over humans, at times. So then, we have the courts/laws reality and then there's the individuals reality.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    You're speaking to the way the courts and laws view the priorities, correct?. I would suggest there's people out there who feel many animals lives take priority over humans, at times. So then, we have the courts/laws reality and then there's the individuals reality.
    My dogs are always on a leash or in the backyard. So they are never any threat to anyone, although I admit they bark too much. If someone comes to shoot at my dogs, they will be either shooting in the direction of the back of my house or in my general direction. How do I know how good a shot he is? How do I know he won't turn the gun on me because I'm screaming for him to stop and getting in his line of fire to protect my dog? How do I know he won't miss and hit me or someone else? He might even shoot me after shooting the dog because he is in a rage or to eliminate the witness. To my mind, those possibilities give me cause to be in fear of imminent grave bodily harm and therefore to shoot to defend myself. Who's to say exactly where the BG was aiming when I pulled the trigger and does it really matter? Besides, I'm convinced someone who would shoot a dog without just cause would murder a human at some point.
    AzQkr and 9MMare like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    I have had a carjack attempt in downtown Cleveland by two hood rats while sitting in my car in front of my daughters apartment at 11:00pm. They were coming from the front and I initially saw them when they were about 50 yards away slowly walking toward us. I stepped on the brake and put the car into drive, locked the doors and waited. When they split and one approached each side I hit the gas and almost ran the guy on my side over. I did see the guy reaching in his coat as I wizzed past him. Neither one fired at us. (luckily). This was before I carried.

I signed up for my NRA course later that week.
    maybe he wanted to talk to you about Jesus?
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links