Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond

This is a discussion on Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Occasionally I like to review the old news clips of self-defense carry situations and this one caught my interest: " In this news clip it ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Attempted Car Jacking/Robbery - Could You Respond

Occasionally I like to review the old news clips of self-defense carry situations and this one caught my interest:

"

In this news clip it looks like:
    1. man pulls into a parking lot
    2. As he is starting to get out, a man come up to the window pointing a gun at the victim
    3. The man shots the criminal (and the criminal dies)

So I started to think about how prepared I was for two possible scenarios.
    Scenario#1: I've just pulled in the parking spot, and am behind the wheel buckled in, when the criminal knocks on my window and has a gun pointed at me.

Scenario#2: Ditto except I have unbuckled, and popped my door open, and have just started standing up when the criminal approaches with a gun.

The question I asked myself is this: by how I carry in my car, and when leaving the car, how easy or hard would it be for me to conceal my intent and pull my trigger first.

(Granted, the best decision might be compliance. So let's just say in a nano second you've run that one through your head and decided that the guy looks like he is high as a kite and therefor you doubt that compliance will result in your safety.)

My pistol is carried in my doorwell when I am driving, and then I will either stick it in my right pocket when I get out of the car (if winter and have a coat) or in the small of my back. In both cases I use a "sticky" holster. I have a Ruger LC9S with manual safety. I never have kids in my car.

PS: This seems like a reason to carry a double action revolver in the car vice a semi with a manual safety.?????

I need to practice these scenarios, with my biggest issue being the holster combined with the manual safety.

How would you folks handle the situation (again, assuming you've already decided that your life is in immediate danger and that compliance, in this situation, is not a viable option.)

Yeah that's a tough one. Looking at life and death split second decisions here while a gun is pointed at you. Be interested to see exactly how this played out, more specifically how GG got BG to not pull trigger while drawing and firing his own. Did he overpower him? Was there a distraction which allowed GG to draw a fire?

You make a good point by basically asking what is the best place for easiest access while in vehicle.

I raise my shirt over my gun so that the grip is exposed (still in holster about 3:00 pos.) when in vehicle. Faster, easier access to gun is something I'll start paying more attention to. Thanks!
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

Your second scenario would almost always be a "no-brainer" for me as I'm rarely ever alone in my car and would not allow anyone to steal it with my dog inside without attempting to kill the thief. How I'd go about that would depend on exactly how things were playing out, but one method that comes to mind would be to toss the keys in his general direction, and draw/fire when he went to retrieve them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    When I am driving one of my vehicles, or even when I am a passenger, my sidearm is ALWAYS carried openly in its holster with the shoulder belt tucked between my body and the gun's grip. I also position the gun in such a manner that it is easily accessible should I need to use it. Both my car and my truck automatically lock the doors once they are in motion so a carjacker is not going to be able to jerk the door open and pull me out. I also an very vehicle-anal, especially with my car. This means that I do not park close to businesses and other vehicles but rather somewhere out in the parking lot where my vehicle is safe from door dings and such. This also gives me excellent sighting of any potential developing situations.

With that said, as soon as I might see a firearm pointed at me, I am going to do my damnedest to try to get my gun out and open fire. I don't have to worry about the assailant announcing his intentions or anything of the sort. Once he points a gun at me, I am free to shoot him... if I am able to do this. And I will definitely look for a way to do this if at all possible. I don't want to lose my vehicles, especially my car because it is irreplaceable, and I certainly don't want to get injured or killed. So with all of that said...

I should add that in my state, I don't even need to see a firearm during a carjackking before I can legally open fire. Carjacking is robbery and robbery is one of the five felonies for which a deadly force response is justifiable.

"Scenario#1: I've just pulled in the parking spot, and am behind the wheel buckled in, when the criminal knocks on my window and has a gun pointed at me."

As I remove my seat belt and start to open my door, I will pull my sidearm out and keep it below the window. The perp is going to have to move backward a little for me to exit my car and may just for a moment drop his guard. But even if he doesn't as soon and my gun clears the door, I will open fire.

"Scenario#2: Ditto except I have unbuckled, and popped my door open, and have just started standing up when the criminal approaches with a gun."

If at all possible, I am going for my gun. If this is not possible, there will be a moment when you hand over your keys and maybe your wallet where you can fumble a bit and drop the keys or some other diversion. If you are able at that point, pull your gun and shoot. Or you could wait and do this while he is entering your vehicle.

"The question I asked myself is this: by how I carry in my car, and when leaving the car, how easy or hard would it be for me to conceal my intent and pull my trigger first.

(Granted, the best decision might be compliance. So let's just say in a nano second you've run that one through your head and decided that the guy looks like he is high as a kite and therefor you doubt that compliance will result in your safety.)

My pistol is carried in my doorwell when I am driving, and then I will either stick it in my right pocket when I get out of the car (if winter and have a coat) or in the small of my back."

You should never carry a gun in a map pocket, glove box, console (I assume by "doorwell" you mean map pocket). The reason for this is if someone steals your car, you not only lost your car but you just gave the perp(s) a loaded firearm. Not a good thing. It is best kept on your person unless the law says otherwise when in your vehicle. And I would strongly advise against pocket carry or the small of your back for its carry as those locations make getting it out and into action more difficult.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by DanBarnes View Post
    Your second scenario would almost always be a "no-brainer" for me as I'm rarely ever alone in my car and would not allow anyone to steal it with my dog inside without attempting to kill the thief. How I'd go about that would depend on exactly how things were playing out, but one method that comes to mind would be to toss the keys in his general direction, and draw/fire when he went to retrieve them.
    Let me get this straight, the primary reason you would shoot a potential carjacker is not because your life is threatened, but because they are going to steal your car with your dog inside?

Is that what you are saying?
    PhaedrusIV and TeflonDon like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaguy View Post
    Occasionally I like to review the old news clips of self-defense carry situations and this one caught my interest:

"

In this news clip it looks like:
    1. man pulls into a parking lot
    2. As he is starting to get out, a man come up to the window pointing a gun at the victim
    3. The man shots the criminal (and the criminal dies)

So I started to think about how prepared I was for two possible scenarios.
    Scenario#1: I've just pulled in the parking spot, and am behind the wheel buckled in, when the criminal knocks on my window and has a gun pointed at me.

Scenario#2: Ditto except I have unbuckled, and popped my door open, and have just started standing up when the criminal approaches with a gun.

The question I asked myself is this: by how I carry in my car, and when leaving the car, how easy or hard would it be for me to conceal my intent and pull my trigger first.

My pistol is carried in my doorwell when I am driving, and then I will either stick it in my right pocket when I get out of the car (if winter and have a coat) or in the small of my back. In both cases I use a "sticky" holster. I have a Ruger LC9S with manual safety. I never have kids in my car.

PS: This seems like a reason to carry a double action revolver in the car vice a semi with a manual safety.?????

I need to practice these scenarios, with my biggest issue being the holster combined with the manual safety.

How would you folks handle the situation (again, assuming you've already decided that your life is in immediate danger and that compliance, in this situation, is not a viable option.)
    Watching the news isn't going to do much for your strategy and approach. Once you practice the scenario, you will find that the biggest issue has nothing to do with double action revolvers or manual safeties:

Going from on body carry to off body, and then back every time you enter and exit the vehicle is an invitation for mishap.

How are you going to secure the gun, unholster it and then bring it to bear on someone to your left with it placed in the door panel?

SOB is about the worst carry position available, IMO. It is hard to access, cover and verify concealment of the the gun when carried there. By cover, I mean protect the gun from a gun grab during a physical struggle.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Watching the news isn't going to do much for your strategy and approach. Once you practice the scenario, you will find that the biggest issue has nothing to do with double action revolvers or manual safeties:

Going from on body carry to off body, and then back every time you enter and exit the vehicle is an invitation for mishap.

How are you going to secure the gun, unholster it and then bring it to bear on someone to your left with it placed in the door panel?

SOB is about the worst carry position available
    , IMO. It is hard to access, cover and verify concealment of the the gun when carried there. By cover, I mean protect the gun from a gun grab during a physical struggle.
    ^^^^^ These things ^^^^^

Also, if you ever get knocked onto your back (or simply slip and fall onto your back) you may be in for a lifetime tour as a quadriplegic.

Up for that ? No thanks !
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

If you're serious about car carry, then here's a reason why the 5.11 shoulder holster carry is very good. You can carry the sidearm "naked", and you can just slide your hand inside it and have the muzzle facing the BG.

There are contingencies once you get our of the car that you -can- apply for some additional care. I would want to have practiced having the handgun muzzle clear the window - there are ways a clever person can do this without danger to anyone and without having had to blast a hole in your favorite carry garment (they're not cheap!).

Note that any 'movement' is going to be perceived as a threat. However, generally, sliding your right hand up to the 5.11 sleeve could be seen as an attempt to 'give him your wallet' - or give money. If he says 'hands on the wheel Mofo or you are dead, you have to 'talk your way to getting from behind the 8-ball'.

Another important thing is to ALWAYS check your passenger side mirror as the Passenger or before letting your passenger OUT of the car. Someone could be cruising up to the car from the 'blind side'.

It's a difficult scenario and you have to be properly equipped and practiced. It's not something that you can 'advise' people to DO cold, though. It's not without some risk carrying and deploying like that.

HTH
    R.E.D. (Retired. Extremely. Dangerous.) From the movie with Willis, Malcovich and Mirren

Sponsor
    This one has the chance of becoming quite the discussion on scenario responses.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    It is entirely possible to set up a carry gun for quick access from a seated position in a vehicle with the seat belt still on and from either the appendix or 3:00 position. It is going to be harder for left-handers, though, due to proximity to the door on the driver's side. There are videos running around some place that show this for right handers and I will be putting photo sequences into my next "Gunfighting, and other Thoughts..." book (got the text, have to do the pictures now). It's going to be better if you can release the belt but it doesn't have to stop you or really slow you down.

As for the OP, it might work to feign compliance for a time until you are in a better position to engage with reduced risk.
    Mike1956 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    Si vis pacem, para violentus.

www.inshadowinlight.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    It is entirely possible to set up a carry gun for quick access from a seated position in a vehicle with the seat belt still on and from either the appendix or 3:00 position. It is going to be harder for left-handers, though, due to proximity to the door on the driver's side. There are videos running around some place that show this for right handers and I will be putting photo sequences into my next "Gunfighting, and other Thoughts..." book (got the text, have to do the pictures now). It's going to be better if you can release the belt but it doesn't have to stop you or really slow you down.

As for the OP, it might work to feign compliance for a time until you are in a better position to engage with reduced risk.
    Three o'clock is where I carry, and the gun can be accessed with the seat belt secured.

Being able to change hands and fire from the draw is, imo a critical skill to learn in order to deal with the cramped spaces. As an example, the assailant has entered the passenger side of the vehicle. A right-handed shooter will have to switch hands to make effective shots.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

In both scenarios the BG already has the drop on me, and I only became aware of them with them already at my window.
    I pocket carry so I would not be moving the gun off body to on body, if the truck was already turned off Id give up the keys and put as much distance between me and him as possible. I have an automatic kill switch to prevent others from taking my truck even with the keys. the only wrinkle in this would be if I had the wife or grandkids with me.

Once he figures out the truck wont start I have put at least another car between him and me and I have had time to prepare. DR

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Let me get this straight, the primary reason you would shoot a potential carjacker is not because your life is threatened, but because they are going to steal your car with your dog inside?

Is that what you are saying?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I may not be able to claim him as a dependent on my income tax, but I would no sooner allow him to be kidnapped without resisting than most folks here would allow their child or significant other to be kidnapped without resisting.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Three o'clock is where I carry, and the gun can be accessed with the seat belt secured.

Being able to change hands and fire from the draw is, imo a critical skill to learn in order to deal with the cramped spaces. As an example, the assailant has entered the passenger side of the vehicle. A right-handed shooter will have to switch hands to make effective shots.
    Hence the reason I like the CAR seated firing solutions. You can move the gun from right to left hand or vice versa to respond nearly immediately to either the drivers side or passenger side as the threat presents.
    Mike1956 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

This is one of many ways.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links