Cornered in a public rest room.

This is a discussion on Cornered in a public rest room. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You stop to use the bathroom, rest area, mall, Wall-Mart whatever. You walk in and are the only one in a large bathroom so you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornered in a public rest room.

You stop to use the bathroom, rest area, mall, Wall-Mart whatever. You walk in and are the only one in a large bathroom so you go to the end and use the large handicap accessible stall. As you sit there alone with your thoughts, the door to the bathroom opens. At least two people walk in talking smack about cutting this person or that and who needs a beating. The two are loud and obviously hitting the hand dryers ect... really getting themselves worked up. How would you handle this situation?
    You're armed, have your cell and whatever you normaly leave the house with.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

finish your business wash hands and leave no threat no victim just a bunch of clowns blowing off steam. What are you thinking wouldn't you be emabarrassed to call 911. Some guys in the bathroom are talking bad things? There is no threat here at all your are not a peace officer and have to duty or responsiblity to do anything.

Senior Moderator
    You could sit and wait and see if they will leave, but a lot of public bathrooms have those automatic flushing toilets and they can give away your position real easy, and if that were the case, then there's no use trying to hide. I'd leave the stall and wash my hands while observing things in the mirror and leave the restroom.

Just talking about beating someone up, killing them, and so on, is not enough to fear for your own life. Most of the time it's just idiot kids who wouldn't know how to throw a good punch if you paid them to do it. They talk a good talk but they don't mean a word they say. They just want to look tough.

But, we're playing it on the safe side so you're being cautious, watching hands, getting ready to use action if you need to, staying as far away as possible and getting out of there as quickly and quietly as possibly. If they block the door, well then, deal with it, if not, just leave.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Depends on the layout of the bathroom. If it's possible for me to walk out without going between them or coming within bad-breath distance, I'll do that. If not, I don't mind waiting for a few minutes for them to leave. No matter how hollow they might be, I'd rather not put myself at a range disadvantage if they're for real.

Either way, as I leave, I'll be keeping an eye on them to make sure I'm not followed to my vehicle.

Now, if they start beating on the stall door or start towards me as I head to the door, I'll have to change plans.

Finish my business, flush the toilet, leave the stall, make obvious eye contact, pick a sink closest the exit, walk to that sink at an unhurried pace, continue to observe in mirror, wash my hands, dry my hands, leave the rest room. Could be the guy that they're talking about really DOES deserve a beating. I'm just gonna' make it clear that I'M NOT THAT GUY.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

POOP

I would most likely poop my pants Seriously, I would have my gun in my hand, and wait to see if these clowns leave. You will be ready if they make a move on you, if not your free to (go),that is leave the restroom.

Agreed GT and Turbo.

BTW I've seen/heard this exact kind of thing often in bathrooms at clubs, bars, and pool halls after roughly midnight when folks have got themselves sauced up beyond sensibleness.

Talk is cheap.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't want to hurt anyone's sensitive feelings but nothing in this scenario makes me feel "cornered". As long as the unknown parties are loud & talkin' trash then the odds are that they're just punks. But if the restroom door opens, I hear the foot-fall of two people entering together, they're saying nothing, and I don't hear a stall open, a sink running or a urinal being used? Then, my brothers, I'm gearing-up for an immediate problem. It's been my experience that the situations which present the most dire circumstances are intended as a surprise for the victim. What wild predator shouts & hits things during a stalk? Y'all be careful.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ok, The place was a rest area on the interstate and the reason I felt cornered was more of my physical position than my geographic location. I was never really in fear of my life, I was armed and I'm not a small man, but I did get an adrenalin boost when the door burst open and two loud voices echoed in the head talking about violence and beating on things. I coughed and cleared my throat to let them know they were not alone and everything got quiet for just a second then they left. Shortly there after I left and cautiously walked to my truck. I really didn't think much about it untill I drove off and the armchair quarterback took over. Why did they leave? What if they had been outside waiting on me? What if they decided I was a good target alone in a stall? I was currious how others would have handled the situation and it seems I might be a little more parinoid than others or maybe I just expect the worse. I was ready for something bad to happen but fortunatly my imagination was my only enemy.

Nope, if you were ready for an "action event" your imagination was your FRIEND. And that jolt of adrenlin is the perfect way to snap you into Condition Red & get your head in the game. There's also a big difference (to me anyway) between the stalls in a Mall or Wal-mart Rest Room and those of a remote Interstate Rest Area. Between West Memphis & Hot Springs I was once cornered in a Rest Area Rest Room by two thugs. One flatly asked me, "Do you like that watch you're wearing enough to DIE for it?". I said, "Sure", and drew my GLOCK G19 to low-ready, "Who about you?". Well, they cleared the door & scampered into the nearby woods. There was still no other car in the parking lot. I called the Arkansas State Police, reported the incident & waited for their arrival (about 10 minutes). Seems these guys had worked this spot before. They parked on a backroad nearby & walked thru the woods to the Rest Area. By what the Trooper said, I was their first armed victim. The Trooper asked for my handgun, a description of the perps, asked if I had fired a shot, finished taking his notes & handed my GLOCK back to me. "Be careful" was his departing comment.

I wanted a general opinion of the situation, allthough I have been in some pretty rough Wal-Marts.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I wanted a general opinion of the situation, allthough I have been in some pretty rough Wal-Marts.

Yeah, no kidding. The worst Wal-Marts I've ever seen were on HWY 17-92 in Sanford, FL and in Waterbury, CT.

Being Caucasian and English speaking, I was DEFINITELY in the minority in those cesspools!

Distinguished Member
    If I felt that it was a good (or Bad) possibility that they may want to do me harm, and I had the cell phone, well I probably would have called someone just to have a conversation with (holding phone with weak hand) while I walked out. At least someone would know what was going on or that there is trouble if anything was to happen. I would far rather go back in if needed to wash my hands after the air cleared (sorry I couldn't help it)

SleepingZ

I agree no threat here, finish dropping your duce, leave the restroom in full alert of your surroundings, but I see no need to be drawing a weapon, C'mon guys sometimes I more scared of some of you on this forum than I am the felon on the street!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

What's this button do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links