What would you do if someone (unarmed) wanted to/started to fight you... - Page 4

What would you do if someone (unarmed) wanted to/started to fight you...

This is a discussion on What would you do if someone (unarmed) wanted to/started to fight you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My .02 and like always it's different for everyone. -I would never assume anyone aggressing on me is unarmed. Who knows, there might be more ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My .02 and like always it's different for everyone.

-I would never assume anyone aggressing on me is unarmed. Who knows, there might be more of them and I'm just seeing one of them.

-In a dead sprint I am really really fast and with addrenaline, I can keep this up for a very long time. It's very unlikely that someone would go through the effort of chasing me down, if they do it's likely because they really want to do some harm to me rather than the scenario where I was the right guy in the wrong spot. (All this ultimate fighting BS is ridiculous, several fights have started in town where I live where some guy just beats the hell out of another untrained guy as a form of practice)

-Verbal abuse is harmless, don't let it get to you.

-Physical abuse is coming for a reason, try to discern this before it fully presents itself.

-Never get into allow yourself to get into a physical altercation because of something you own (car, briefcase, wallet, cash, credit cards etc.) If you give them what they want and they go for you then it becomes a completely different scenario.

The only way to win a fight is to never get into one in the first place.

Distance is your friend.

To the guy who put his weapon in the car and then knocked out the guy...not a good idea. He could easily be charged with assault and seen as the agressor by the jury. He was clearly able to access his truck and should have just got in and drove away. But he disarmed, planned his attack on someone only giving him verbal abuse and then carried out his attack. Would look pretty bad in court, wouldn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I was born with only one hand. So every time I get into a situation like that I start out by saying. "take your pick, would you rather be known as a person that beats up criples or a person that was beat up by a criple? That usualy stops them in their tracks. In any case you cannot get into a fight while carrying a gun. Jus cannot do it. You have to run or at least give it to someone else to hold or what ever. But in no way should you consider fighting while carrying. On the other hand if your attacked, in fear of your life or sever injury, then be glad you are carrying.

Just my humble opinion
    This is why I've never understood gay bashing. If you win the fight, your friends will say, "So what, you beat up a sissy." If you lose, well, you just move. And change your name.

BTW, the preceding was meant to be funny. I have nothing against these people doing these things in their own homes, regardless of my opinion of those actions. Just ask my aunt Lori and Uncle Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    kavity, several years ago (25), a friend of mine in Texas was presented with EXACTLY the same situation you described, except he was in the Parking Lot of his own restaurant. He was CCW armed & excessively (physically) provoked by a smaller, unarmed assailant. He stepped to his truck (only a few feet away), opened the door, drew & threw his pistol onto the front floorboard, locked & closed the door, then returned to his assailant and LEVELED HIM. I don't mean a nice punch. I mean a knee-buckling, eyes-rolled-back, it's-all-over, big-step-right-cross that settled the issue like a Thunder Clap.

I'll tell the story to ask a question. What do y'all think about his actions? Was he wise to take his weapon out of the equation? I mean, I guess (to a possible responding LEO) it might have seemed oddly prudent. But what the opinion now in light of modern Courts & Gun Laws?
    Definitely stupid. If he got his *** kicked, the assailant would have been able to get his keys, open the truck, and get the gun.

I have not read every reply and would guess my thoughts are repeats of other members.

IMHO many people who carry concealed do not think about learning the art of de-escalation, learning to walk away (avoidance) and empty hand combative skills which include are simply yet effective. I can see from reading post on this forum there are many intelligent members who I am sure will say something to the affect that “the use of a firearm is the last resort” and only when the right elements are combined together to permit the use of deadly physical force. Even then we are armed citizens must weigh the cost of drawing and firing on another human being. I would rather walk away from a confrontation and be called names then have to engage that person in combat if the option to run away is available to me. I don’t want to be in a court of law spending money on an attorney but instead using that money to purchase ammunition for heading off to the range instead.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    walk away. I have nothing to prove

Ditto, I would do the same.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I am 65 plus and head out on a walk now and then. Two years ago I encountered a bear, but it was already being chased by a several men with dogs, however I was within 15 feet of it. It made me start thinking about carrying a weapon. So now with my concealed carry permit I am better prepared for large animals of both the four and two legged variety.
    However, earlier this year I encountered a pit bull with very large teeth. The angry dog was on a leash with a young girl in tow, so as they crossed the street towards me I kept backing up to keep some distance. between us. It was pretty much dragging the girl and all I saw were teeth. Of course I could not use my pistol in front of the small girl, at least as the first or second line of defense. I expect the first defensive move would have to continued to make tracks to the rear, but faster; however turning my back on a mad pit pull didn't seem the thing to do. Being an ex soccer player,the second line of defense was to give a good soccer kick to the head of the dog ,which I did and that seemed to allow the girl to get it under control. Maybe I knocked some some sense into the dog or at least some aggression out.
    Now, I attempt to keep aware of where I am street address wise and carry a cell phone, Mace dog spray (apparently also works on humans) and my 9mm pistol......and feel more ready for man or beast. First line of defense is avoiding the situation and using the cell phone, then the spray and last the pistol, but the given situation could change the order quickly.
    I continue to enjoy my walks and I hope all of you do also !

If the idiot is only talking smack...? Step off the line...:

Him: "Hey you stupid m I'm gonna kick your ....!!!"
    Me: "I hope not... You look strong... How about I buy you a coffee and let's have a chat?" (Or something along these lines)

The idea here is to NOT confront an overinflated ego with an ego of you own. He calls you names/whatever...agree 100% with them. Anyone who is going to walk up on a physically larger male and try to start some drama is looking to try to stroke their ego... don't give him what he wants. You verbally step of the line of attack and redirect his aggression/thoughts elsewhere.

"Yeah, you're right.. I am stupid..and ugly...and my mommy dresses me funny. Nice to meet you, my name"s ..."

If this fails to win hearts and minds, and he physically attacks..?

Step off the line:

....and slam him with a nice Irimi-nage!!!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by ezman38 View Post
    First line of defense is avoiding the situation and using the cell phone, then the spray and last the pistol, but the given situation could change the order quickly.
    If the situation gets past the avoiding and withdrawing, your assailant is determined. If the spray doesn't stop him, he's probably on some kind of drug, and you've missed your best opportunity to draw. A rational person will stop at the sight of your weapon, same as he will for the spray.

Trying the spray first might make the DA happy, but is that really a good approach? I see the spray as an alternative to a firearm when CCW is not permitted. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    ...and they were smaller than you by 40-50lbs while you were carrying?

I had the story typed out but its too embarrassing to post here because its INCREDIBLY juvenile and I am embarrassed that I was even in a situation like that to begin with (I shouldn't have been and I know better). Live and learn I guess.

Well lets just say someone wants to fight you or does something physical that would have normally provoked a fight.. What are your options?

I know that if I am carrying its my job to avoid all such situations to begin with but what if you can't and someone physically assaults you (ie makes physical contact in an aggressive manner), you know you are bigger/stronger, and you know they are unarmed?

The right to defend yourself still exists even though you are carrying but I don't know that I would act the same or fight the same way if I knew I was carrying--for fear of my gun coming out of its holster/having the other person grab your gun/ect. Too many bad things could happen in that situation.

(In my case I was not carrying at the time and I kept my cool to the best of my ability and handled the situation rather well I guess. I knocked said person to the ground and walked away immediately to report the incident to my superior. Upper management is now aware of the situation and measures are being taken against this other employee.)

But what if you find yourself in a situation where someone smaller and unarmed attacks you? [while you are carrying] What would you do?

Then you already know your answer.

I have just one question:

Why would anyone on THIS board assume that someone is unarmed just because you can't see a weapon???

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I have just one question:

Why would anyone on THIS board assume that someone is unarmed just because you can't see a weapon???
    Exactly!

Michael

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I doubt if it's going to happen. I'm 56 years old and haven't been in a fight since jr. high. I've never been physically or verbally threatened. There are probably a couple of reasons for this. One is I'm a very polite person; but don't mistake my politeness for weakness. I also avoid places and people where trouble might occur. That doesn't mean I stay home. My wife and I are always going to fairs, festivals, parks, restaurants, malls, etc. I'm only 6' and 190 lbs. I don't think I'm physically imposing, but I do carry myself with confidence.

However, if I was confronted, I would simply walk away. If I was hit once, I would try to disengage. If I was grabbed, I would try to break free and walk away. But if all else fails, I carry 3 knives which would certainly help to loosen an assailants grip, and as a last resort I've got my CCW in my front pocket.

Walk away, unless running is faster.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

A cell phone with 911 might get the other fellows attention.
    At 54 I might ask the other fellow to fold up his walker first...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links