Police: Wal-Mart customer fatally shoots suspected thief ORLANDO, Fla

This is a discussion on Police: Wal-Mart customer fatally shoots suspected thief ORLANDO, Fla within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe some of our Florida folks can keep an eye on this one; it will be quite interesting if the investigation reveals the customer was ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Police: Wal-Mart customer fatally shoots suspected thief ORLANDO, Fla

Maybe some of our Florida folks can keep an eye on this one; it will be quite interesting if the investigation reveals the customer was justified in shooting.

Police: Wal-Mart customer fatally shoots suspected thief

ORLANDO, Fla. --
    Police say a customer at a Wal-Mart store in Florida fatally shot a man who was among a group suspected of stealing two carts full of merchandise.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that the shooting occurred Saturday after suspects left the store with stolen items.

snip

Nieves says the customer was armed and fired at a suspect, who he thought was going for a weapon. Nieves did not identify anyone involved.
    Police: Wal-Mart customer fatally shoots suspected thief | abc11.com
    graydude likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    776.012: A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

FS 776.013: A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

776.08: “Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

We'll see how this works out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thought he had a gun could be a problem, doesn't say he pulled a gun.
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'd imagine it's going to come down to other witnesses and whether they thought the thief was going for a gun. If not, the shooter is in trouble.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Can you articulate what you saw, so that a reasonable person would understand that you were in sudden fear for your life?
    msgt/ret, airslot and Bad Bob like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

They were also driving a car that had been carjacked a couple of weeks before that. So, that suggest the bad guys were not just thieves from Walmart. And, in other articles I've seen on this, sounds like the gun owner kept shooting a bit, as if they were armed as well and a threat. In one, it says the guy shot was inside their car, and two were shot.

Point being, obviously to much variation in information out there, and not enough to put all the pieces together. This article above, leaves out a lot of info that other articles are putting in them .... but it is all bits and pieces. So, there is no way for us to know. The Walmart employee would have a lot of input as a direct close witness to it, unless he was running the other direction at the time.

And it's not always what you see... and if you see their gun, but the compiled information.

If he's a thug-type, reaching into the front of his pants, my bets would be he wasn't planning to play with himself at that moment. Gun, would be a good assumption.
    msgt/ret, airslot and Bandit99 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Shooting to prevent someone stealing from Wal-Wart.... nope, ain't worth the cost of ammo much less the can of legal problems he as brought down upon himself.
    Dougb, TeflonDon, gunpoor and 4 others like this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I'd imagine it's going to come down to other witnesses and whether they thought the thief was going for a gun. If not, the shooter is in trouble.
    What drmordo said, edited slightly: the shooter is in trouble.
    drmordo likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Walmart isn't paying for his legal bills. If they wanted armed guards, they would hire them. Be a good witness from a distance, maybe take photos.

I'm not in charge of making sure someone doesn't steal from WalMart.
    XD40SCiinNC and BlackBook like this.

Seems like a stupid move to me and odd...since I'll bet that Walmart has a policy that its employees dont confront shoplifters. So the employee might have been completely out of line to begin with. And why did the shooter get involved? Over "stuff?"

Thanks for nuthin' dude...you just acted like what every anti-gun/carrier person claims we are..."wannabe cops."
    Petroleum 1 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They were also driving a car that had been carjacked a couple of weeks before that. So, that suggest the bad guys were not just thieves from Walmart. And, in other articles I've seen on this, sounds like the gun owner kept shooting a bit, as if they were armed as well and a threat. In one, it says the guy shot was inside their car, and two were shot.

Point being, obviously to much variation in information out there, and not enough to put all the pieces together. This article above, leaves out a lot of info that other articles are putting in them .... but it is all bits and pieces. So, there is no way for us to know. The Walmart employee would have a lot of input as a direct close witness to it, unless he was running the other direction at the time.

And it's not always what you see... and if you see their gun, but the compiled information.

If he's a thug-type, reaching into the front of his pants, my bets would be he wasn't planning to play with himself at that moment. Gun, would be a good assumption.
    Thank you for the update, as usual I thought there would be more to the story.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

Here's a question: are you justified in shooting someone before you see a weapon? You may draw...but do you shoot? If you already have your firearm on target, you have the (brief I know) time to "identify the threat" as you are ahead of the curve.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    Shooting to prevent someone stealing from Wal-Wart.... nope, ain't worth the cost of ammo much less the can of legal problems he as brought down upon himself.
    +1. My first thought was that he has a lot more affection for Wal-Mart than I do.
    Pijo73, Bad Bob and royal barnes like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Senior Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Point being, obviously to much variation in information out there, and not enough to put all the pieces together. This article above, leaves out a lot of info that other articles are putting in them .... but it is all bits and pieces. So, there is no way for us to know.
    If that were the criteria for expressing opinions about things, there would be a lot less uninformed opinions.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links