Neighbor Might Need Help

This is a discussion on Neighbor Might Need Help within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rob72 "Am I my brothers keeper...?" Yes... But the next question is "Is this person my 'brother'?"...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neighbor Might Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    "Am I my brothers keeper...?"
    Yes...

But the next question is "Is this person my 'brother'?"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    It depends on the incident. I would not be going off willy nilly until I saw what the exact incident is.
    I TOTALLY agree. When I say I feel a responsibility to come to a person's aid, that does not mean Draw, Fire, then Assess. It means if I encounter a potential "situation," I will assess what help might be needed. I am not advocating "Action without thought," but I am saying I would act - with thought.

"Am I my brother's keeper?"

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Yes...

But the next question is "Is this person my 'brother'?"
    Well, since the question "Am I my brother's keeper?" is from the Bible, how about looking at the answer that is given to this exact question: Who is my brother? (specifically "neighbor" - Luke 10:29) The parable of the Good Samaritan is given in reply, and the answer boils down to: Anyone in need - whether you know them or not, and even if you don't necessarily like them.

(In case you're not famililar... Samaritans and Jews did not like each other, at all. In the story, a Jewish man had been beaten by robbers and left by the side of the road. Two Jewish men passed by without helping. A Samaritan man came by. He did not know the man in need of help, but could tell from his appearance he was a Jew. The "Good Samaritan" stopped and helped.)

Not saying anyone has to agree, just giving the answer that comes from the same place as the question.

Personally, if I see anyone in need, I'm going to assess the situation and help in whatever way is necessary.

Update...

I think the situation might be resolving itself.

Since school started this week the neighbor girl has not been over to play. She has made friends with other kids in the neighborhood who she is in class with.

The SO was by the other day looking for the ex-husband. I guess he has some warrants or something and they are trying to find him.

The situation seems to be legit but also seems to be resolving itself. Nonetheless, it has proven for good discussion and one more scenario to think through and be prepared for.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Glad to hear it! Good discussion indeed.

Stay sharp.

When someone is at my house, as a visitor, . . . I accord them all the same protection and care as though they were my family (and most of the time they are). This would be the case with the child.

If the "father" came and insisted on taking the girl, . . . I would first ask her if she wanted to go with him, . . . then using that as a ruse to seem interested, . . . I would either pick her up, . . . or shoo here behind me, . . . and announce that we were going to her house to ask her mommy.

There is absolutely no circumstance other than armed sheriff deputies who produced legal papers, . . . that would get me to give up that child. There are just too many nut jobs out there looking to grab a kid for their own entertainment. For all I know, . . . he's just another pervert who found out that it is a blended family the little girl lives in.

Besides that, . . . if the child is apparently living with the mother, . . . how could the father be the custodial parent? It doesn't happen that way here in Ohio.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

not worth it. your daughter, your problem. their daughter, their problem. not to be cold but who needs the complications of all that drama when it could easily come back and burn you. ...no thanks.
    What's this button do?

Don't forget the possibility that she could be one of the idiot women we all know whose world is only loosely based on reality. I'd limit my exposure to her and her family. Maybe I'm just being a jerk, but that's the way I see it.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    While calling the law, I think I would try to get all the kids in the house, and let the cops sort out who has custody, try be a good wittness unless he is a lethal threat.

I agree with all the posters that suggested calling the police and letting them sort it out. Trying to sort the issue out yourself, do the research on backgrounds, or review divorce papers, is crossing the line between citizen and LEO in my opinion. If you want to do that job then apply for it and get paid. Otherwise I think the approach of simply being a responsible adult is spot on!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links