Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG - Page 2

Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

This is a discussion on Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was a kid I had no key and had to knock. That's how we do it now with our kids too. Only way ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

Distinguished Member Array 1911srule's Avatar
    When I was a kid I had no key and had to knock. That's how we do it now with our kids too. Only way they get a key is if we go away, period.

Another point- why would anyone shoot at someone in there house without identifying them first? OMG That's crazy! Our HD gun has a light on it. Back up light at hand too.
    NOT a Kool Aid drinker. Question everything...
    Political Correctness- the tool used to disarm common sense and destroy America.

Distinguished Member
    a quick google search of "parent shoots child thinking he was intruder" brought up a lot of unique results just on the first few pages - its a valid concern.

"Thunder?"

"Clap!"

^^^^ Saving Private Ryan style hehe

One of the cardinal gun rules is know your target - I'd use a flashlight if I were worried.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member
    We have ours fire a warning shot before they close their car door but we live in the country.

Text message, "Home in five". Text Message, "We are home.", Should work for city peoples.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Go and lay in their bed, if someone sneaks in and tries to get in bed and then screams you know it's your kid. (true story)

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    So my wife and I have a son who will be old enough to drive shortly - terrifying in it's own right but that's another discussion...

When they get old enough that they're coming home after you've gone to sleep how do you make double damn sure that you don't mistake them for a bad guy in your house? I know the mantra of 'identify your target' and how important that is but we all know this is a mistake that does happen. Any suggestions/ideas to double up on how make sure this a mistake that is not made when you know there will be someone coming into your house after you've called it a night?

Thx in advance - mods feel free to relocate if there's more appropriate section.
    How old are you talking about? If they're under 18, they better not be home after I've gone to bed. Even at 18, it's my house, my rules.

"Mom, Dad...I'm home!"
    Perfect!
    NRA Lifetime member

"A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

One kid had gastronomical problems, you knew when he came home! Carol, I've got to fix that loose board on the floor!
    NRA Lifetime member

"A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

We have enough night lights inside the house to ID our youngest. And the two dogs would go nuts over a stranger. But even then...a neighbor's kid came home drunk, was dropped off by a friend, and staggered on to our back porch before he realized it wasn't his house. It really DOES come down to not shooting too quickly. And shouting, "Who the [expletive deleted] are you and what the [expletive deleted] do you want?" might be worthwhile at times. Depends on your neighborhood.

Also, my youngest has a key to the door. Someone who unlocks the front door and walks in isn't likely to be a threat.
    jrobin3360 and Paladin3840 like this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Do you have an alarm system? They're relatively inexpensive. Tell the kid to make dang sure he turns it off or else.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

proper ID of your target.

boys always want to sneak in. so not a easy deal here.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    The bad guy probably won't have a key to the front door.

I always thought this was pretty simple, at least as a kid. I wasn't home, and when the door opened at 2am, it was the person who lived there coming home. Have you never had a roommate/spouse or whatever come home when you were home before?
    wizard7mm08, bsms2 and OldChap like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Well, my son learned one clue, don't ever walk into my room at night without announcing yourself , unless I know it's you.

Thought my son was smarter then that. So, when he came in the front door, he was trying to be quiet, however my dog awoke me to it. So I hear someone at the front door entering the house, ... then they are moving in the direction of my room and a shadow shows up at the door of my bedroom ... and dog is growling and treating them like a threat. Then he said something and I knew it was him. I told him "turn on the light" .... he did . That's when he saw me pointing a .357 at him.

He said he was trying to be quiet so it didn't wake me up, because he was 2 hrs past when he was supposed to be home. Dumb ... on both accounts.

After that, he agreed it would be better to follow the rules of "announcing loudly" that it was him no matter how late it was, when he comes thru the door at night. But it shook him up enough, that he decided to go one step further, which I thought was smart and a good idea. He would call me on his phone when he pulled up ... and tell me .... "I'm pulling up in front of the house, and I'll be coming in the house in a minute" .... and even then ... when he came thru the door he VERY loudly yelled ... "It's me, I'm home".

Never had to remind or tell him again.

That's also when I put a bright flashlight next to the bed, so if anyone showed up in my bedroom door again.

Then there is the night he and a friend thought they would act like they were kicking in the front door late at night ..... as a prank to see what I would do. That didn't work all that well for them either. But , no one ended up shot.
    rcsoftexas and Skeetie96 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    My dog knows the difference between strangers and family. He's going to wake my up either way, but his bark is totally different for a family member.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

Also my kid doesn't try to rob me or kill me.
    jrobin3360 and earonw49 like this.

Administrator
    I would take a several step process;
    A) kid uses a particular door and that door only after hours.
    B) light switch by the door? Use it. Walk in the door turn on the light. Wouldn't hurt to use a night lights either. I have a few in strategic places for this reason.
    C) always identify your target. Always. Afraid a light will give away your position? Poppycock. You're not fighting ISIS here. The worst likely to happen is you chase off a burgler with a flashlight or you light up your kid instead of shoot him. I call it a win win
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

Also my kid doesn't try to rob me or kill me.
    I thought so too, but it didn't work out that way ...... she growled and treated him like a threat.
    AnthonyC likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Have him read the gunshot wounds thread.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links