Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG - Page 3

Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

This is a discussion on Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had this problem we have a alarm and dog. But I have told the wife if you walk in the house and the alarm ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

Never had this problem we have a alarm and dog. But I have told the wife if you walk in the house and the alarm not on TURN ON A LIGHT. But see we don't have kids so we don't have that problem

I had it good at my old house when my son was a teenager by the way the house was layed out. If you used the back door you walked down the breeze way by my bedroom window, head to the front door down walkway pass the other master bedroom windor. He would make two light taps on the window as he went by. I do not remember hearing him ever turn the key in the lock if I was sleeping when he tapped on the window going by. There are a couple of funny stories to tell but they really do not help with the question. If he was home when I came home just after the front door opens one specificant light was turned on. The system worked very well for us.

When you're sleeping you still hear normally and your subconscious analyses every sound. If it's a "normal" sound, your subconscious (frontal cortex) lets you stay asleep. With an "abnormal" sound, your subconscious wakes you. That's why you don't wake up when (say) a loud car drives by, but you wake up when a baby cries. Just tell your kids to never sneak around in the house.
    1911srule, FAS1 and earonw49 like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array graydude's Avatar
    When my daughter pulls up late at night the cats pile off the bed so they can get fed. When my son pulls up the dog hops off the bed so he can greet his boy.

Any other reactions lead to grabbing a flashlight and bang stick.
    montejames and earonw49 like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Our kids are our dogs and they aren't coming home late at night. If i am awakened by barking, growling which would be followed by someone screaming in pain then I reach for the Benelli.

I am the sheepdog, I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."
    -Lt.Col. Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    With my son, all I had to do was wait about 20 seconds. If the fridge opened up it was him.
    I had 6 boys and this was the most common!

Actually cell phones have made it so much easier. Even a text to say "I'm out in the drive with a friend" is all it takes! By the time our boys were collage age it wasn't uncommon for them to have a friend come pick them up after I was in bed. They would shoot their mom a text to keep her from coming out with them. Kids text so much that others don't even know they are talking to mom or dad!
    Paladin3840 likes this.

VIP Member
    When I was a kid growing up in ND, drinking among teens was common. Still is I suppose.

So you can make all your plans about announcements, what door to use, etc., but if your 17-year-old son stumbles home blitzed, he'll probably want to sneak in and go to bed without waking you up.

Sooo...chances are if your kid is out when you go to bed and you wake up at 2:00 AM hearing stumbling and mumbling in your house...you have an intoxicated teen "sneaking" in.

Not hard to figure out. Worry more about him getting home safe than a break in.

And if the teen does come home drunk, make sure you wake him up at 6:30 AM to do some unpleasant chores.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    We have "a word" and "a response" if there's a situation.
    Otherwise, the dog doesn't bark at us but does at strangers.
    All four of our offspring still live at home. 26, 24, 16, 15. And we have a 19 year old "guest" staying with us indefinitely. We've had guests or additional children for 20 years. Some related (nephews), some not (nephews fiance). All are family.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Other than learning to distinguish your children's sounds from someone else's, perhaps a safety word. There have been a few instances where the words "relax it's just me" have kept me out of trouble. Just make sure that your children know what your concerns are and what they should do or say in the event that they have incited a defensive response to their activities.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would take a several step process;
    A) kid uses a particular door and that door only after hours.
    B) light switch by the door? Use it. Walk in the door turn on the light. Wouldn't hurt to use a night lights either. I have a few in strategic places for this reason.
    C) always identify your target. Always. Afraid a light will give away your position? Poppycock. You're not fighting ISIS here. The worst likely to happen is you chase off a burgler with a flashlight or you light up your kid instead of shoot him. I call it a win win
    I would not depend on anything but your own positive identification. Kids forget, kids dont want to get caught, kids drink, etc. (Same for adults too)

Plus, as the person with the firearm, all the responsibility falls on you legally.

Not just aimed at you, but for the thread in general.
    montejames likes this.

Senior Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I would not depend on anything but your own positive identification. Kids forget, kids dont want to get caught, kids drink, etc. (Same for adults too)

Plus, as the person with the firearm, all the responsibility falls on you legally.

Not just aimed at you, but for the thread in general.
    Our kids also don't want to get shot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    ThirdShift likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Well, my son learned one clue, don't ever walk into my room at night without announcing yourself , unless I know it's you.

Thought my son was smarter then that. So, when he came in the front door, he was trying to be quiet, however my dog awoke me to it. So I hear someone at the front door entering the house, ... then they are moving in the direction of my room and a shadow shows up at the door of my bedroom ... and dog is growling and treating them like a threat. Then he said something and I knew it was him. I told him "turn on the light" .... he did . That's when he saw me pointing a .357 at him.

He said he was trying to be quiet so it didn't wake me up, because he was 2 hrs past when he was supposed to be home. Dumb ... on both accounts.

After that, he agreed it would be better to follow the rules of "announcing loudly" that it was him no matter how late it was, when he comes thru the door at night. But it shook him up enough, that he decided to go one step further, which I thought was smart and a good idea. He would call me on his phone when he pulled up ... and tell me .... "I'm pulling up in front of the house, and I'll be coming in the house in a minute" .... and even then ... when he came thru the door he VERY loudly yelled ... "It's me, I'm home".

Never had to remind or tell him again.

That's also when I put a bright flashlight next to the bed, so if anyone showed up in my bedroom door again.

Then there is the night he and a friend thought they would act like they were kicking in the front door late at night ..... as a prank to see what I would do. That didn't work all that well for them either. But , no one ended up shot.
    Can you clarify... he said something, you knew it was him. Your son turned on the light and you were still pointing the 357 at him? Not at the low ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you think one of your kids may lunge at you, draw a handgun or display an edged weapon when discovered at night, I don't even understand how this poses a problem. There really needs to be a reason to start launching bullets at another human. If that other human is one of your kids, the absence of that reason should hopefully guide your response.
    graydude likes this.

VIP Member
    What about older children who are old enough to carry their own gun?

Tell them to get their own place? Leave $100 under the welcome mat for a motel? Put up a window sign?:

CLOSED

My wife just decided to divorce me. Problem solved.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

I dont sleep well because of pain so im awake most of the time anyway. I put Medeco locks on the doors so there are not many people that are able to pick them, I have adjustable metal bars in the windows as well. No one is getting in without kicking in a door or maybe taking a chainsaw to a door or roof. Any loud noises like that mean a bad guy is trying to come in. This is a rental or I would have installed solid steel plates behind the door jams that the dead bold would go in so it would take a lot kick it in.

to those who think if the door opens without being kicked in that its their kid using a key... most people have either Kwikset or Schlage locks on their doors (most sold locks in our country) they are garbage and I can open any one of them in a matter of a few seconds (as fast as using a key, and not with a bump key like the criminals use) I am disabled and an amateur lock picker/locksmith. I was dumbfounded when i found out how easy it is to get into someones house and is why I spent money on good locks.

back to topic... if my kids or friends are coming over they know that they can text me at ANY time because of my sleep patterns and to wait for an answer, anyone else is a BG
    we also have 2 noisy dogs... that helps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links