Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG - Page 4

Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

This is a discussion on Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never had a problem with my kids but one time a potential boyfriend showed up at my daughters window. The next sound he heard was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

VIP Member
    Never had a problem with my kids but one time a potential boyfriend showed up at my daughters window. The next sound he heard was me racking the shotgun. I was up on the deck looking down on him. They were just buds and he had been over a few times prior to that. Never saw him again. Dog alerted me. It was around midnight.
    graydude likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    So my wife and I have a son who will be old enough to drive shortly - terrifying in it's own right but that's another discussion...

When they get old enough that they're coming home after you've gone to sleep how do you make double damn sure that you don't mistake them for a bad guy in your house? I know the mantra of 'identify your target' and how important that is but we all know this is a mistake that does happen. Any suggestions/ideas to double up on how make sure this a mistake that is not made when you know there will be someone coming into your house after you've called it a night?

Thx in advance - mods feel free to relocate if there's more appropriate section.
    You picked a perfect sceen name, i'll give you that much.......
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would take a several step process;
    A) kid uses a particular door and that door only after hours.
    B) light switch by the door? Use it. Walk in the door turn on the light. Wouldn't hurt to use a night lights either. I have a few in strategic places for this reason.
    C) always identify your target. Always. Afraid a light will give away your position? Poppycock. You're not fighting ISIS here. The worst likely to happen is you chase off a burgler with a flashlight or you light up your kid instead of shoot him. I call it a win win
    Here's hoping your strategic placement of night lights don't light a path straight to your own bedroom..............
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Both my sons are grown now (the youngest is 32 this month) when they were old enough to start staying out later they still had a curfew. It was not a problem with the oldest. He was are problem child. He had some issues that were not easily resolved and he moved out. Our youngest had a curfew. He had to be on by a specific time. My German Shepherd new Chrises curfew. If Chris was not home by the set time, Nickie would not let him ( or anybody else for that matter) in the house. Many a night I heard " dad your dog won't let me in the house" I would have to tell nickie that it was ok to letfor him to let my son in.
    bill35738, Anubus and ThirdShift like this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Kids are grown but have had phones since they were driving and before. A little call eliminates any anxiety on everyone's part. I figure if I want them to call me for a ride or help, I'll take a call with a 3-4 minutes heads up.

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    Our master BR is over the garage. The kids would only come in the house using the garage door opener which I can hear in bed clearly. Plus the ADT system beeps at the control pad in our bedroom when anyone opens a door.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Never had a problem with my 2 boys 1 girl coming in late thanks to a FREAK OF NATURE I picked up from the local shelter! Cute little fuzzy,black ball of fur that they said was a blacklab-mix. Mixed with WHAT could only be A ''BLACK BEAR''!!! That little ball of black fur did not stop GROWING until he reached 145lb. and could have been mistaken as a BLACK BEAR here in Pa. For 12 years he slept at the top of the steps (split entry house) and anything at night that wasn't right started with a very low DEEP growling that kept getting louder and louder until he knew (dont know how)who was on the other side of either front or back door! If it was my girl not another sound except maybe his tail hitting the wall. BUT let it one of the BOYS and it was GAME ON,PLAYTIME!!!!!! That another story!!

We are empty nesters now, but one of the daughters still comes home a lot with being only an hour away. She lets us know when she will be home. She knows we do set our alarm system so she knows she just cant walk in.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

flh
    [QUOTE=rcsoftexas;5414401]

Text message, "Home in five". Text Message, "We are home.",
    This is what we did and still do ,when our daughter was younger we had a breading pare of Rottweilers in the house we didn't lock the door , now she is older and has her own family they vacation here in N.Y. In the summer "school teachers " in another state, she still tells us where she is , when they will be home etc.
    rcsoftexas likes this.

Unless I missed it I have yet to see someone mention turning on their ALARM system when going to bed. If kids arrive, the alarm system is disarmed. If it were a BG it would not disarm. Quite simple actually. BTW I don't have to worry yet, my daughter is only 7 and son 4 LOL
    Last edited by RubenZ; February 14th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
    OldChap likes this.
    S&W M&P 45, Colt Delta Elite Customized, M&P Shield, Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Unless I missed it I have yet to see someone mention turning on their ALARM system when going to bed. If kids arrive, the alarm system is disarmed. If it were a BG it would not disarm. Quite simple actually. BTW I don't have to worry yet, my daughter is only 7 and son 4 LOL
    And what's the next move when son or daughter is drunk or tired and messes up the combo and sets off the alarm?

I still believe that it is the responsibility of the homeowner/person with their hand on the firearm to identify the target. (Or determine that the intruder is NOT anyone that belongs there.)
    graydude, PEF and BigJon10125 like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    And what's the next move when son or daughter is drunk or tired and messes up the combo and sets off the alarm?

I still believe that it is the responsibility of the homeowner/person with their hand on the firearm to identify the target. (Or determine that the intruder is NOT anyone that belongs there.)
    Agreed.
    As for the rest, I don't have kids but, if I did, I would hope if they were too drunk or tired to disarm the alarm they'd either still have the good sense to just ring the bell, stand in front of the camera, and wait to be let in, or be forced to do so by being too under the weather to key in the code for the electronic door lock in the first place.

Twice in college I narrowly avoided clubbing roommates with the police baton I kept in my nightstand. Both situations were identical. Roommate tells me he's going out of town for the weekend and won't be back till Sunday. Later that day or night, I heard sounds clearly indicating that someone in the residence. I grabbed the baton, kicked open the door and went charging like a linebacker towards the perceived threat, only to realize it was my roommate home early.

That said since upgrading my home defense, if uncertain of the target, my intention is to do as we were taught to do when on guard duty in the military. Take a defensive position with weapon aimed at the target, safety off, then loudly state, "IDENTIFY YOURSELF".

Granted, that is IF the situation permits. I realize I might not have the luxury of enough time to do this or it might be unwise for whatever reason.

Here's how I broke my Step Son from trying to sneak in late.

About 3 am I hear my front door knob rattling.
    The 17 year old was supposed to be home and in bed hours before!

I hear two voices just as the door opens.
    I'm standing in the foyer in my underwear with my 45 pointed at their heads.
    I flip on the hallway light to identify my target.

Step Son sees me and the hollow point bullet in the barrel pointed at his face and they back up real fast saying don't shoot it's me Joey. I brought home a friend.

I lower my handgun and tell him to meet me in the Living Room after I get some pants on.

They were both still shaking when I got in there with some clothes on to discuss what just happened.
    Step Son never did that again. He always called to let us know he was on his way home.
    No matter what time it was.

He has told this story many times to his friends and wife's family.
    He's 39 now!

Not sure what scared him more, the sight of the bullet in the barrel or me in my underwear.
    Last edited by Curt58; March 4th, 2017 at 09:40 PM.
    BuckeyeMike likes this.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I listen to the Dog.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links