Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG - Page 5

Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

This is a discussion on Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our kids are all grown and gone. But our niece is staying with us for college and has been for the past two years. I ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

Sponsor
    Our kids are all grown and gone. But our niece is staying with us for college and has been for the past two years. I always text her "I'm going to bed. I love you. Don't get shot coming in," when I head to bed.

Between her being careful and the fact that the dog goes berserk if anyone but family comes to the door, we've made it just fine.

Edit: Heck, people. I have to let Mrs. Dunaway know when I'm coming home so I won't get shot.
    OldChap likes this.

Our daughter regularly comes home a little after we go to bed. She's engaged and getting married in two months. Our 13 y.o. black lab sleeps in our room and we always keep our door closed. She doesn't make a sound or even lift her head when our daughter comes home.

We made it clear to her when I first got my gun that she is never to open our bedroom door and enter without first getting a clear response from us that it is OK to enter.

When I was a kid(ish - 18), I was trying to make a late night call to a girl I rather fancied. I was as drunk as a skunk, and climbing the locked fence saw me fall over over inside the yard. When I got to my knees, there was her father with a shotgun darn near in my mouth. He was screaming. I recall he was mad. But what I really remember is that he was shaking. He was mad and scared.

I was a dumb kid. Like really dumb because I was not scared at all. All I could think was what a dumb old man. I literally couldn't empathise.

I'll never forget that. And I'm glad because some kids really are just plain old stupid when it comes to lust. It's a good question I figure. I know my kids are still too young yet, but I'm definitely going to have to up my game when my daughter gets older and unannounced boys like my past self think visiting is a good idea.
    maxwell97, boduke5051 and OldChap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Just buy a 69 camaro preferably a convertible. It might not directly help your problem but its a 69 camaro! Isn't that basically the same thing as solving a problem?
    boduke5051 and OldChap like this.

All family members let other family members know when they are getting into and out of vehicles, especially at night, especially when traveling back to school, and visiting out of town. Texting makes it easier when they are with friends, no chop busting about checking in with Mom. Mom lost her 16 yr. old brother to a drunk driver so the kids are very cognizant of DUI and DD's. Dad doesn't go to bed until everyone is accounted for. It allows Mom to get to sleep.

When I first read this, I thought it was kind of a thread without any real substance. Then I read two different post by members here that actually pointed a gun at their kids faces. Not only that, they think it taught their kid some kind of lesson. I guess it could happen but not in my house. I'm lucky. My wife just won't go to bed without any kid that is coming home that night, safe at home. It's just the way she is.
    drift likes this.
    Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Here familiar car pull up... see headlights go out.... Hear car door slam shut... Hear screen door creek open...Hear dead bolt throw... door open... hear screen door salm... main door shut quietly and dead bolt throw again... hear series of steps ( normal pace) that goes directly to childs room.... Hear family dog collar jingling in the same direction ( no barking) ...Hear childs door close.

I would hazard a guess that its my Kid and not a burglar.

Best way to know is to simply have good communication with your kids
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

I go with the premise that a BG would have to force entry into my house, which would be much different than my oldest son returning home late. Plus, everyone in my family comes in through the garage, so hearing the garage door opener is another good indicator. So, if I hear someone moving around in my house late at night, my first reaction would be that it is someone in my family. That doesn't mean I would necessarily roll back over and go to sleep. I would likely listen to see what they are doing. If I hear the fridge opening, the cupboards opening, to get something to eat, etc. then it is likely a family member. If I hear many drawers opening/closing, or someone in a part of the house that would not make sense, then my suspicion might rise.

Then, depending on the situation, I may decide to investigate and my level of alarm will coincide to what I have observed thus far. But, if I did not hear someone force entry I will not assume it is a bad guy - unless what I am hearing makes it obvious (e.g. different voices).

Quote Originally Posted by Fallsrider View Post
    Our daughter regularly comes home a little after we go to bed. She's engaged and getting married in two months. Our 13 y.o. black lab sleeps in our room and we always keep our door closed. She doesn't make a sound or even lift her head when our daughter comes home.

We made it clear to her when I first got my gun that she is never to open our bedroom door and enter without first getting a clear response from us that it is OK to enter.
    Just IMO, it is still the responsibility of the gun owner to identify their target. What if she is drunk or sick?

My previous neighbors had a deaf teen and often had parties on their farm. I knew that I had to remain aware of that fact in case a drunk deaf teen wandered onto my property at night. I'm not doing any moralizing here about behavior nor even the justification under the law...except that it will still come down to 'my actions' and my responsibility no matter what the circumstances.
    TeflonDon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    And if the teen does come home drunk, make sure you wake him up at 6:30 AM to do some unpleasant chores.
    OR, on a less than serious note, you could install Gunny Ermey's Alarm Clock app and set it to 05:00. You can look at it here: (caution "DI language alert")

R. LEE ERMEY - Apps

Well, I'm a Father of 5 and 3 are grown and out of the house. Been here, done this. It was easy for me because I'm a night owl and NONE of their curfews are later than I go to bed lol.

So, be home before I go to bed and set the alarm OR sleep in your car! Either way, I'm good lol.

I'd think in your situation a simple call or "Mom/Dad, I'm home" would suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Just IMO, it is still the responsibility of the gun owner to identify their target. What if she is drunk or sick?

My previous neighbors had a deaf teen and often had parties on their farm. I knew that I had to remain aware of that fact in case a drunk deaf teen wandered onto my property at night. I'm not doing any moralizing here about behavior nor even the justification under the law...except that it will still come down to 'my actions' and my responsibility no matter what the circumstances.
    I always enjoy reading your post 9MMare. You always have a common sense think first, and shoot as a last resort kind of attitude instead of the macho grab a gun and shoot first, and then ask questions later type of attitude.

Senior Member Array Libertywheel's Avatar
    Threat assessment and target acquisition. Many of the already stated suggestions are good: text message, verbal announcements, common sense utilized while kid is unlocking door, attitude of dogs, etc. but it comes down to threat assessment and target acquisition.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the productive answers. I was thinking along the way things went when I was 17... long before cell phones. I've always been one to leave cell phones in the kitchen on charge at night but when the kids start driving it makes way too much sense to move it to the night stand and have them text before they open the door. The dog of course is also a very good answer... unfortunately our dog rates just after my pillow in the home defense scheme. We love the little fur ball but she's less intimidating than a squirrel and sleeps harder than any of us.

I know it was a question with some very obvious answers but it's hard to be too careful here and I did get some helpful input... thanks again.
    9MMare likes this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I always enjoy reading your post 9MMare. You always have a common sense think first, and shoot as a last resort kind of attitude instead of the macho grab a gun and shoot first, and then ask questions later type of attitude.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I know well that time to react may be short...or non-existent. THere are no guarantees. The best we can do it be as familiar with all possibilities as we can and do some forethought as preparation.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Sponsored Links