Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

This is a discussion on Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife and I have a son who will be old enough to drive shortly - terrifying in it's own right but that's another ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Older Children Coming Home After You've Gone to Bed - How Do You Distinguish Frm a BG

So my wife and I have a son who will be old enough to drive shortly - terrifying in it's own right but that's another discussion...

When they get old enough that they're coming home after you've gone to sleep how do you make double damn sure that you don't mistake them for a bad guy in your house? I know the mantra of 'identify your target' and how important that is but we all know this is a mistake that does happen. Any suggestions/ideas to double up on how make sure this a mistake that is not made when you know there will be someone coming into your house after you've called it a night?

Thx in advance - mods feel free to relocate if there's more appropriate section.
    drift likes this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

"Joseph, is that you?"
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    "Mom, Dad...I'm home!"
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My dog knows the difference between strangers and family. He's going to wake my up either way, but his bark is totally different for a family member.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

VIP Member
    Tell them to announce and not to try to be quiet!
    OldVet, Goldy49, JAG45 and 5 others like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

REALLY????

Come on now...you can figure this out...I know you can.
    wmhawth and Renaldow like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    I had three. Never had to get out of bed. They were not quiet and the dog reaction was normal.

There was one night when a strange truck was idling in my driveway at 2am, I shined the hand held on it to see my kid and the driver looking scared at me with their hands up.
    So he did listen after all.

Distinguished Member
    Our kids are grown and gone, but every now and then either I or my wife may need to come in late. When we do, a loud and clear announcement is the procedure. Taking it one step further, we have a regular "all is well" announcement and one to be used if under duress to raise an alert.
    rcsoftexas and paulinsf like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    REALLY????

Come on now...you can figure this out...I know you can.
    I hear ya... has just always been a particular nightmare of mine. Not that it's not a concern for everyone but I guess it's just one I've always been more concerned about than other things that could go wrong.

Clearly I'm just trying to make something easy hard.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    With my son, all I had to do was wait about 20 seconds. If the fridge opened up it was him.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I hear ya... has just always been a particular nightmare of mine. Not that it's not a concern for everyone but I guess it's just one I've always been more concerned about than other things that could go wrong.

Clearly I'm just trying to make something easy hard.
    Your fear and question are completely reasonable. Tragedies have indeed happened.

I keep 2 super flashlights on my nightstand. Without a positive I D of a potential intruder, my piece stays on safety.

Not everyone endorses using a flashlight, as it gives away position (and what you do is fine w me); that said, I choose to err on the side of tragedy prevention.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

MJK
    Talk to your children - know when they will be entering and what entrance they will use. Explain that it is for their safety as well as yours. Ideally they should also announce their presence or call ahead to alert you they will be getting home soon.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I always heard my kids begging the dog to...SHUT (the hell) UP!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I grew up in a home with no guns, but IMO, ANY home with guns should have rules, discussions, preparations, etc for handling different situations. (Same for non-gun owning homes, and we did, just not gun-related.)

My parents were/are not anti-gun however and supported my starting shooting. When they come to stay at my house, they have been told certain rules and procedures for a few different scenarios, including night time intruders.
    rcsoftexas, drift and OldChap like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Uhhh.....you just know !!!!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links