Wally World Meathead

This is a discussion on Wally World Meathead within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well handled! I think the best reply I've ever heard to being called a *** was from a CO who made an inmate take his ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wally World Meathead

Well handled! I think the best reply I've ever heard to being called a *** was from a CO who made an inmate take his (prohibited) girlie pics off the wall: "Bend and grab your ankles. You'll find I'm either a ***, or have a real f-n' mean sense of humor...."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    He turned around and pulled up behind me and jumped out of his car like he was going to do something. I stepped out of my truck wearing my pretty blue policeman costume complete with 4006, badge, and cuffs, and I'm said, "Were you trying to flag me down?" He immediately began apologizing and ran back to his car.
    That was excellent.

One of the weirder things that happened to me was when I was in a grocery store. Another shopper walks by me and yanks my hair. I was so surprised I just stared at the guy, who looked at me like it was something he did often, and then continued shopping. It was either that or add his head to the lettuce display.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

CE-that was great! I have a great deal of respect for an officer who can keep a cool head. Best to you sir!!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Excelent job Euc. While we would all like to flatten a bozo like that you kept your cool while being non-confrontational. Not much more you could have done.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Most of the time the advice: "don't do stupid things in stupid places" will prevent violent encounters for good guys but sometimes the stupid comes to us.

You did handle it well. The test for how well you handle a situation is how you walk (or limp, or crawl or . . .) away at the end of the story. You came away with nothing more than a story to tell so you handled it well.

Jim Grover says that if we wait for confirmation of an attack before we act, the confirmation will come in the form of injury to ourselves. A knife can (often) outdraw a gun. The one time that I had to fight for my life, the attacker threatened me and I waited to respond until I saw him move. Action beat reaction and I got hurt a little and had to struggle to regain initiative and win. Based on what I learned from that experience, the moment he offered to "cut you up right here," he'd see the muzzle of my gun.

Again, you handled it well and I'm not criticizing your response. Instead, this is just my reaction based on my one previous experience and the advice of a couple of people who I trust.
    When it's time to stomp cockroaches, you don't want to be wearing your fuzzy bunny slippers.

VIP Member
    If I read it right he had already tried to grab you?

He then threatened to cut you up?

I would have done more than you did, but good on you for your restraint.

-Scott-

I don't think he tried to grab me so much as poke me or annoy me. I think he was trying to paintbrush slap the back of my head.

I did have my hand on my snubby, ready to draw. His hands were out where I could see them. If he'd reached for something I'd have cleared leather by the time his hands found his tool. He didn't look like the type of person clever enough to carry a pricey or even a not so pricey knife, much less the kind of person who'd actually think to practice drawing with it a little bit.

But honestly that thought really didn't occur to me. I figured he was just a meathead who wouldn't know what to do when his mark wasn't afraid of him.

VIP Member
    Well I bounced this off a friend and fellow CCWer at lunch today. We both agreed. Take out nearest knee, knee to groin, introduce face to knee, step on an area to assist with compliance and go for a hand lock.

When situation is in hand, ask nice lady at the register to call 911 to request an abulance and the police.

This was based on the fact that the bully already demonstrated the desire to get physical. I did tell my friend that since you were a teacher you had a lot more experience observing bullies at school so you were probably the best person for this idiot to have picked on. My friend and I wouldn't wait to see if the bully was going to try again before we acted. However neither of us would have drawn our gun. We both felt that hand to hand would be adequate barring something going terribly wrong. Which will typically happen. So that doesn't mean we wouldn't be prepared to draw, just that it wouldn't be a first option.

-Scott-

To be honest Scott the thought of hitting or striking or shooting the goober really didn't enter my mind.

I don't know if I'd try to fight him especially if a knife had come into play. He looked like one of those types that sits alone at the end of the bar that you could hit as hard as you wanted to and he'd laugh at you. I really didn't have any desire to get down and funky with him if he had pulled a boxcutter on me.

And of course I probably could have pulled a knife as fast as he did, but then I'm putting myself in an incredibly dangerous situation.

Bottom line though, he was looking to get off by pushing someone else around with threats of violence or he was just retarded. You're right that I do see that same kind of behavior all the time; usually less overt however. But human nature is human nature.

You get a bunch of 15 year olds in a room and start going on about the law of sines and their eyes glaze over and they begin to doodle in the margins. You get a bunch of 45 year olds in that same situation, they act the same way.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Well done.
    Very well done.
    You maintained control of yourself and didn't let the situation get out of hand.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The best thing you can do in such a situation is to draw as much attention to him as is humanly possible. Talking loud and asking him why he is bothering me, and that I don't want any trouble, is the way to go.

That way, if you are forced to defend yourself out in the parking lot, or later in some other location, the cops will most certainly nose around. They will ask for witnesses, and if those people say you were trying to back down the confrontation, it will make you look a lot better.

:chairshot

You were menaced, and did well not to provoke him. Idiots like this feed on fear, the more you show the braver they get. Once you got loud on the knife threat, his pea brain mind kicked in.

Now look at it again, only this time he has a knife on hip and easily grabbed? How close was he to you ? What is your draw time from pocket? Could he trap your arm easily?

Makes the threat a lot more real, and at the time you had no idea if it was or not, correct?

When someone is off the reservation like this guy, give him no trust. Always stay a step ahead, and when a verbal threat is issued and he has the "means" and "opportunity" to add to his "intent" (verbalized) then you need to act.

Don't be afraid to use that gun. I would not have shot him yet, but he would have seen the severity of the situation, and nothing does that like a muzzle starring at you.

Combat,
    It's amazing how often I get road raged while on the way to the station in uniform. Never off duty, moths to a flame? LOL

I hope you are not that quick to send rounds down range.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by ebd10
    I would've asked, "Is there some kind of problem here? Is there some reason that you've decided to assault me? If I've done something to offend you, I apologize, but if you think I'm going to let you hurt me, you're wrong."

Any offensive moves either during or after my statement would result in gunfire to his COM.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

VIP Member
    I think that us, FTC (Folks That Carry) transmit certain attitude to idiots like that bully and makes them reasses their stupidity. We know something that they don't: we have the means and the mindset to produce a far bigger amount of damage that they can dish. Verbally we do not get loud (as in losing our cool) or stutter with nervousness. Body language may say we are ready to act but relaxed at the same time. All these are not the signals that bullies are accustomed to see from an otherwise normal would-be victim. It shakes their confidence and makes them doubt. We are saying "You may walk out of this one by the grace of me." and, for the most part, they read it. Problem arises when we bump into an "illiterate" idiot and we are forced to teach them the ABC's of a Polite Society.
    That is what I think anyway

Very well handled.

I also had a instance kind of like this,with my wife standing there. She carrys also and immediately backed away 2 to 3 steps and put her hand in her purse on her pistol, because she knows that she is the backup.

I just looked him right in the eyes and told him he had no idea how deep the crap was fixing to get, and he may need to move on. He made the right decision and left in a hurry. I never even made a movement that would have given away the fact I was armed. I do carry a SA1911, a BUG in 380 and 2 knives one on each side, which I do practice employing on a regular basis.

This was also a very large individual and I think he was surprised at the wifes reaction, and the fact that I did not back away at all, since I am 5'10", 190lbs and he was about 6'4", 275lbs.

Sometimes these individuals are just testing the water to see who they can intimidate, but are very surprised that a man smaller then them will not back away.

I for one strongly belive with the proper mind set, attitude and awareness people automaticlly preceive they may have just put themselves in a no win situation, and run like the cowards they actually are.

As I said to start you did a excellent job considering the enviroment you were faced with.
    A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links