Scenario: Wolves howling in the night

This is a discussion on Scenario: Wolves howling in the night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with HotGuns...it's a FINGER thing...always...(keep the nose drill off the bang switch... no problem) I would not be outside LOOKING for trouble...lights on, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Wolves howling in the night

I agree with HotGuns...it's a FINGER thing...always...(keep the nose drill off the bang switch...no problem)

I would not be outside LOOKING for trouble...lights on, yes...looking out the windows, yes...hearing voices in the back of your property or woods boarding your property in the a.m.?, call 911

One in the chamber? ALWAYS...

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The XD is safe with a round in the chamber... don't develop bad habits!

Sounds like a common problem among a large population of people. They want a gun to protect themselves but they don't want to put in the "required" time to be "reasonably" proficient with it.
    I have not yet carried my new XD but I, too, am apprehensive. Specifically, the holstering (is to holster a verb?) of the loaded XD. I am very careful with the snubbie. I have the horrible thought that something will intrude in the trigger guard and then, BANG. It takes both hands to holster my IWB rig. The XD has a much lighter trigger. Is it appropriate change the grip so as to not disengage the grip safety when holstering? Am I concerned about nothing?

What might be a good practice drill?

Senior Moderator
    It doesn't matter what kind of action that you have whether it be a doubleaction,single action or both,a revolver,derringer,shotgun or a rifle...

keep your finger OFF of the trigger until you are on target. Following that rule alone would insure that there was no negligent discharge. No target...no finger on the trigger. Its simple but it works.

Walking around with the slide locked back because you are afraid of a ND is a training issue... or rather a lack of.

You need more training.With training and practice comes confidence...enough that you trust yourself with a loaded gun.

In my defense, I did drop the slid before I steped out the back door.
    You should have been ready to roll when you got up and stepped out of your bedroom to investigate. Being anything less than ready is a recipe for disaster.

Find someone that knows how to clear a building and then practice it with an unloaded gun. Learn how to slice the pie, maintain cover, point where you look. Have them walk you though it and show you the correct way. You'll be doing yourself and your family a favor.

Its not the gun that is the deciding factor, its the MAN behind it. The gun is just a tool. You must learn how to use it efficiently or it will be useless to you when you need it the most.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    I have never been comfortable with SA triggers like the XD/Glock. Yes, Yes... I know, keep your bugger hook off the trigger and they are perfectly safe, and I believe it. But when under high stress (or in the fog of sleep) I do think that having my finger off the trigger and my thumb on the safety (or slide release in this case) is even safer.
    In that case, you might consider the holster your friend. I assume you have a holster that securely covers the trigger? Don't remove the firearm from the holster until you have your act together. The holster itself is a safety.

And I agree with others about not going and looking for trouble. If you think something is wrong, get your firearm and your light and listen and let your eyes adapt. If no one is actively breaking down your door, you are probably better off spending the extra time waking up, letting your senses tune in and tell you what is going on.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    I have had the XD for several months now, and I KNOW it's a safe weapon. Yet I still fear a ND, so I have decided to go back to my roots to a hammer fired weapon with a safty.
    A very wise move, own and carry what you know you can trust. Don't feel like the lone ranger on this one, myself including many friends and fellow shooters prefer guns with hammers and saftey/decockers. Confidence in your ability will come when you have full confidence in your firearm.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Lead Moderator
    Y also prefer a DA first shot and a manual safety for night time waking use. Much less chance of accidentally grabbing a light trigger pull gun half awake then doing something bad.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

SD... I think you, like me, are concerned about nothing. I thought that I could get over my own concern, but that is the first firearm I have ever owned that doesn't have a safety switch. I have practiced drawing my holstered weapon 100's of times with a snap cap in the chamber and never had a ND. Still, I can't get comfortable, and I don't want to be the idiot that shoots himself in the leg.

As for training, your correct, and I am completely undertrained. I do as much as I can with the resources I have. I try to shoot 200 rounds a week, and I am trying to get in to IDPA. Before my first (an only) IDPA match I had never fired from concealment, or on the move, or week handed. I have taken my light to the range a few times, and I try and fire at least 50 rounds strong hand only, but to date, even with 10 years in the Navy, my training has only been in safety, cleaning, and firing on a line. I do want to do more... and as soon as the funding becomes available, I intend to take a good class.

And yes, I do view my holster my friend. I use a bladtech that completely covers the trigger, and securely hold the firearm. It not the gun I don't trust, it's my finger. The human body does strange things when under stress, and even though I never put my finger on the trigger unless I'm on target, I can't guarantee that I will not do so under extreme stress.

And yes, as for handguns, my only experience before the XD was a 1911 of my dads and a issues M9 from the ships armory. Both of which do have a thumb safety, and both of which I'm comfortable with. I should have gone with my original plan and got a 92FS, but I rented a XD and loved it's trigger and grip angle.

So now I'm waiting on Maryland State Police to approve my purchase of a USPf Version 1 (DA/SA with a Safety and Decocker) in .40. I think I'll be much more comfortable carrying "cocked and locked" and not look as stupid as I do keeping my slide locked back. When I carry, I do carry the XD slid down with a loaded chamber.

I had a late night experience a bit more amusing. It was a weekend and I tend to be a night Owl. I was standing on my deck sometime after midnight. When a car slowly drove down the street with it's lights out.

Scarey already? I thought about calling the Sheriff, but decided to wait and see where they were going. They pulled over into my driveway and stopped. My gun was in the house so I just stayed very quiet and hidden. Two guys got out of the car. Panic time?

They both proceeded to urinate. When you gotta go you gotta go, right!

Very softly, but loud enough for them to hear me I said, "Why don't you go pi$$ in your own yard?" The both jumped about nine feet high and one peed all over the other one as they tried to scramble into the car.

Stop smoking. Can smell that a mile away and know where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_America View Post
    A very wise move, own and carry what you know you can trust. Don't feel like the lone ranger on this one, myself including many friends and fellow shooters prefer guns with hammers and saftey/decockers. Confidence in your ability will come when you have full confidence in your firearm.
    I agree totally ...one should not be pressured into a gun they are not comfortable with by anyone.......least of all a fellow gun owner...

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I have not yet carried my new XD but I, too, am apprehensive. Specifically, the holstering (is to holster a verb?) of the loaded XD. I am very careful with the snubbie. I have the horrible thought that something will intrude in the trigger guard and then, BANG. It takes both hands to holster my IWB rig. The XD has a much lighter trigger. Is it appropriate change the grip so as to not disengage the grip safety when holstering? Am I concerned about nothing?

What might be a good practice drill?
    Yes I often change my grip slightly when reholstering. Moving your thumb to the back of the slide while reholstering should do it.

My advice is, Don't Go Looking For Trouble, you just might find it.

You were in a defensive position in your home. Why would you want to leave the defensive position and possibly leave your wife at the hands of a BG? When you went outside, did you lock the door behind you? I'll bet you didn't. What was to keep a BG from "slipping" in to your home while you were out in the yard playing Mall Ninja? Lastly, why did you give your position away with cigarette smoke?

OK, I think I made my point. There are times when you may need to go outside to find out what's going on, but when you do that you should alert the wife first. Personally, nothing in my yard is worth defending at night, let alone the daytime. I can buy a new patio set if a BG steals it.

We all make mistakes. You are lucky, you can learn from this and move on, some people aren't so lucky.

Biker

I agree with you BikerRN, for the most part.

But, I will confront anyone on my property.

I not saying I would shoot to stop a thief, but you better believe I'll step out and yell at the guy to drop my stuff and inform him the police are on the way. As I was looking in the shadows, I was attempting to keep my gun hidden from view by holding it behind my back.

I have to say that the entire time I was outside, I was in a state of disbelief. "Probably just a cat or coon" was going through my head. The thought that it was a human was never entered my mind, although the thought that it could be a human did, which is why I was armed.

It was only after I had stood down, satisfied my back yard was clear that I heard the voices and know there where people around.

As for the back door, it was in my field of view the entire time and well lit by the security light. I know I said I went "Around the house" but that was just an expression. My path was only too the north and south edge of my home, along the back wall.

Always a hoot watching a drunk fall all over themselves, Puppy.
    For the OP. I won't even try to critique as I have done some dumb things. Like last week while on vacation, our campground had been raided by a bear one night, and next night I persisted in stepping out into the dark w/o my pistola, only giving my wife instructions that if I screamed, shoot the bear not me. I think IDPA is a good idea, USPSA can also be a good training ground on getting more comfortable with your handgun in live fire situations along with putting more rounds downrange in a match than IDPA, and to me, that is always fun. Videoing a recent match let all of us look back at ourselves and see for sure whether we were keeping trigger finger alongside the slide while moving, that kinda thing. Good luck on getting the new gun approved, and just get out there and practice. Only way you will be comfortable with one up the tube and the hammer back.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Just picked up my USPf .40 V1.

7 Day wait only took 9 days... woot!

Put 200 rounds through it at the range, and I got to say... I'm very impressed. With the weapon.

The XD is still on the night stand for a wile, but I think it will be replaced once I get the muscle memory required to work the safety on the USP without thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links