Why I Carry

This is a discussion on Why I Carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a propane company in Tennessee. I went to a customers home (to collect or discontinue service) because of a large outstanding balance ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Carry

Why I Carry

I work for a propane company in Tennessee.

I went to a customers home (to collect or discontinue service) because of a large outstanding balance owed. Not wanting to discontinue his service without giving him the opportunity to make some arrangements for payment, i knocked on his door, told him why I was there. He went ballistic screaming obsenities, arms waving in wide circles. After a couple of minutes of ranting, he told me to pick up the **** tank and leave. I turned went to the truck told my partner (new trainee) to back to the tank when I heard a screen door slam.

Our customer jumped off his porch and ran up to me with what looked to be a large s&w auto, pointed it at his propane tank and said, "I'm going to shoot it!" He then pointed his gun at me and said "I can shoot you right now and get away with it, because I am a psyche case. He went on ranting, " I wonder where you were when I was in Vietnam."(10th grade) While he was talking, he would point the gun at the tank then me. I never raised my voice , I talked calmly, and said Mr. **** if you want to shoot your tank , you going to kill yourself, me, my partner in the truck, probably your family in the house.(I was thinking I would never see my children again about this time).

He waited a few seconds then threw the gun down and said "pick it up." (his light bulb came back on) I told him I had no intentions of picking up his gun. He said "well,.......you can't anyway.....you don't have a handgun permit." When I got back in the truck my partner had been trying to call 911(no service of course) and told me he was going to run over him with the truck if he shot me. That happened four years ago; I reported the incident, he was arrested, recieved 5 years probation and therapy.

I've been a Boy Scout leader, taught boys how to shoot a rifle, shotgun, and bow. I have a great deal of respect for this country, the blood shed that give us all, the rights we enjoy. I had an angel on my shoulder that day.

Today, I have a carry permit and a mod. 26- 9mm glock/ mod. 19-9mm glock; they are an excellent choice for personal protection, easy to clean, fun to shoot. I use a blackhawk inside the waistband paddle holster or uncle mikes pocket holster for my g26 when i wear shorts (though it's kind of bulky)
    Last edited by P95Carry; September 7th, 2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Split into para's to aid readability!

2. Remove Ads

If you were carrying... would you have shot him?
    XD 9mm 4 Inch
    XD .40 Sub Compact

CLICKY!

Shooting a customer on his own property...that's gonna' hurt in court! OMO, but not a good situation, fortunately he would have had a witness.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    The moment he pointed the gun at you and threatened to shoot you, you had justification to use any means you could to save your life, up to and including deadly force. Being on his property wasn't relevent. You were performing the duties of your employment, and he explicitly gave you permission to come onto his property and take the propane tank.

Not to say you should have shot him (if you had been armed), but (depending on what state this was in) I believe you had justification to do so. You chose the negotiation option, and it worked out.

Good to know your partner was looking out for you.

I'm breaking leather when I see someone locking eyes with me pointing a gun at me. End of story. We'll start negotiations from there if he doesnt have some extra holes allready. I'll make a judgement call after considering distance, his response to my verbal commands and weapon if I have time to even give any, on whether I shoot after drawing. Situation will dictate. Just my personal opinion.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

holy cow, a psych case with a gun permit watch out. you lucked out. If getting the call to repo a propane tank from a gun totin psychopath can be called lucky.and your friend in the vehicle says he was going to run him over after this guy shoots you,
    Thanks allot.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

BimmerJon, tough question.
    Although I felt threatened, lucky for me, this guy just wanted to talk. Taking a life (even a sorry one) is the last thing I would ever want to do. I could have picked up his gun when he threw it down; he could have pulled out another gun and shot me if i did. I didn't give him an excuse. In the end he knew he'd had a lapse of reason .

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Actually, depending on your states laws, the moment he appeared with a weapon and began threatening you had justification of deadly force. Especially when he threatened to shoot the tank and you were standing by it.

Also, your co-worker/friend should have made the decision to run the nutcase over before he shot you.

Just my opinion. I am glad it turned out all right. That is an ugly situation indeed.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member
    Your cool head will aways help you out. Any time a person goes into a situation where you have to collect a bad check, repo anything or try to collect money, most of those people are in desperate situations and you never know how they will react. When you go into those situations, you have to be on high alert.

SleepingZ

That propane tank probably wouldn't have blown up after being shot, unless tracer or incendiary ammo was involved.

When the guy came toward me waving a gun, the only thought entering my mind would have been how to tell the boss he is going to have hard time collecting this past due amount.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Lets not miss the hard truth about this anecdote. The man pointed a gun at another human being. 1 shot could have ended this man's or his partner's life. He must be properly responded to, to ensure the safety of the innocent party. His partner probably did not realize that he would have been completely justified in running the man down with the vehicle.

The only thing that kept them from being shot, was that the man decided he didnt want to pull the trigger. Could have ended very differently.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

It is a hard call, . . . nutcase with a handgun out, . . . threatening all sorts of stuff, . . . might be a real good time to remember and use all those tips on negotiation we have all learned in our classes. Glad that worked for you that time.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Good thing you went to the door first. This guy might have shot you as a tresspasser if you were to supprise him. I'm like you and will try to talk my way out of a situation rather then take someones life.
    Takeing a life is something you don't take lightly and it will change your life .

I would have just left him and his tank. Even if you would have been armed in such close proximity, and he is trained. It could have been bad for you.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links