Walking or hitch-hiking??? - Page 2

Walking or hitch-hiking???

This is a discussion on Walking or hitch-hiking??? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been in that situation, and I've taken rides and refused rides at different times. It all depends on what my "spidey sense" tells me. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've been in that situation, and I've taken rides and refused rides at different times.

It all depends on what my "spidey sense" tells me. In a rural area it is considered rude to not offer help. I may just ask them to call a friend of mine, and wouldn't let them know I had a dead cell phone. Actually, the last time this happened to me I asked that the "shady" characters call the Highway Patrol.

About one hour later I met up with a Kansas State Trooper and we resolved my situation. This was at night on a rural farm road after totalling my car on a deer. The "shady" characters had called him.

Just because someone looks "shady" doesn't mean they are. I always think back to "The Cowboy In The Continental Suit" in these type of situations.

Biker

I might respond with something like:

1. "No hablo Ingles!"

2. "Was sagst du?"

3. "Je ne parle pas l'Anglais"

I will instantly find out if they are up to no good, based upon their response...

how many people were last seen getting into a car no thanks.
    Once in the car you are at their mercy you have a gun but the CQ will prevent you from pulling it fighting effectively.

I would have to be there in order to determine if I would get into the vehicle with them. Probably not though.

One reason I always keep a car charger for cell phone in my Jeep, I don't run into this problem with dead phone.

Good reason to let someone know where your going and when you expect to be home. Maybe the walk wouldn't be that long if someone was coming to look for you.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I had something simular happen to me as a teenager. I had to walk 3 miles and I didn't have a gun.

What I did was stay very alert and I kept looking around. When I saw headlights I hid in the woods or in the ditch until the car went by.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

If it were me, I would walk and if I go too tired to continue I would put all of my hours watching Survivor Man to use. I have sorta always wanted to get stranded for a while somewhere

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Hey Guys! No, I am good. Just got these shoes and boy are they comfortable. I need to put a few miles on them anyway. My buddy the alligator wrestler is on his way... should be here any minute.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I'll take the 30 mile hump. I wouldn't get in a car like that...I'd need the preponderance of numbers on my side, not the other way around before I got into an unknown's vehicle. Besides...if I get tired I can crash anywhere I need to for the night.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Always walk on left side of road, traffic coming toward you.

First, you can see oncoming traffic in case you need to jump out of the way of someone driving WHUA.

Second, if someone stops to offer help, the ones going your way are on the opposite side of road giving you more maneuvering room if necessary. You can converse with them across the road.

Third, if someone stops on your side of the road, they are going the wrong way and this give you another reason to refuse ride if you need to.

14 mile hike, that's an all nighter but the safest thing to do. Hopefully someone knows where you're at and may start looking for you. I stopped hitchhiking and picking up hitch hikers a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    14 mile hike, that's an all nighter but the safest thing to do. Hopefully someone knows where you're at and may start looking for you. I stopped hitchhiking and picking up hitch hikers a long time ago.
    Actually, that'd be a 4 hr hike, if you don't stop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links